Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep moments in Sci-fi

Options
  • 16-05-2024 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

When you google SciFi it says....

"Science fiction is a genre of speculative fiction, which typically deals with imaginative and futuristic concepts such as advanced science and technology, space exploration, time travel, parallel universes, and extraterrestrial life"

I know they say 'imaginative' and 'typically' so it covers everything but most great sci-fi is way more deep than that...it often deals with humanity, romantic relationships, life struggles etc...I think when someone hears you're a sci-fi fan...they often don't get this part of it...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yes indeed, SF provides a platform to explore all of these aspects of being human. It's not really about spaceships and alien wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Firblog

It bloody well is…

Along with zombies; there has to be zombies.

I find it difficult to find a SF film to watch that I like, zombie flicks are their own genre it seems, but I used to love the old 1950's short stories in book form. Very conceptual.

3 body problem is on my list to watch, but I hear that the reviews are mixed.

Dystopian scenarios are another framework for exploring humanity, similar to SF. I remember reading Z for Zachariah as a young teenager, but haven't seen the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Zombie films are really about survival and desperation...some zombie films/shows are more subtle or they might be more cheesy in the portrayal of it but a lot zombie films do hit on it..

• Advertisement

I watched all the George Romero zombie films and I absolutely loved them.

Post edited by ruth...less on

I remember seeing this as a child and really feeling bad for him here and like 'oh f*ck'!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

Best moment was in Babylon 5 when Sheridan finally works out that the volons are not really very different from the shadows (ie not really the good guys), and they are all just pawns in a million year grude match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The movie Arrival based on a very interesting short story is excellent. It's about communication in general and how that can break down, and from a science fiction point of view how language can be used to .... I won't spoilt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Sci-Fi and fantasy are often used to explore ideas that thrillers and other genres don't/ Of course there are the good auld fashioned Space Operas like Star Wars and thank God for that. But then you have a show like the rebooted Battlestar Galactica. Where one of (if not THE) central explorations is "What does it mean to be human? Where do we draw the line?" The humans were often portrayed as petty and bitter while the cylons had a genuine beef. There are even some quite shocking role reversals (And I'm not talking about "Who's a cylon and who isn't")

The humans, from the POV of the show, the protagonists, becoming suicide bombers attacking an occupying force. Especially when you realise where America was at the time of release.

Buffy couldn't be more about growing up if it tried.

• Advertisement
Advertisement