Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Yes myhome.ie is down since yesterday morning. Back up now but still freezing.

Edit : site gone again.

Wow are their IT gone to India?

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭markw7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

Just a quick update on our experience with this in case anyone finds themselves in a similar position.

Apply to everyone.

It was surprising how different different providers' processes are (me english good): in documentation requirements, assessment, and customer management. Getting denied by one does not guarantee getting denied by another. Some may take weeks to assess, some may take a few hours. Some may look into your complete medical history, others may be satisfied with the latest updates from your GP/consultants.

Also, you have to hound them. Constantly looking for updates. Some providers have a FastTrack process, though I don't know what the requirements are here. Maybe they could smell the desperation off us.

We were told of a few times people getting cover from UK-based providers when denied by those based in Ireland. In our experience, these were only for short-term mortgages. The longest protection term offered to us was 10 years, which obviously doesn't cut it for a FTB. This appears to be a last-resort option.

But yeah, basically don't despair until all options are exhausted. And start early! We got confirmation of coverage this morning when realistically it looked to be slipping away (whoop! There'll be a financial advisor in Galway getting a superbly OK bottle of wine in the post). Now on to the business of sinking all of our money into making this shoebox a home.

Dear god, what have I done…

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HoppingTom

As a no chain buyer, is this worth much to a seller, we are finance approved. We are 4k below the highest bid. We are only competing against one other bidder I believe. Other bidder is in a chain and we are good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭This is it

Its really dependent on the seller and their feelings on it. Someone not in a rush to sell, selling an empty property, might not care if there's a chain or not, but someone who has timelines and needs to sell as they buy another property to move in to might prefer a no chain buyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Hontou

Ask the estate agent to inform the sellers that you are ready to go but at the lower bid. I accepted a lower bid from a buyer two years ago as I was afraid of the unknown waiting time potentially involved in the chain buyer. I am selling another house at the moment and even though I am not buying anything else after, I would still lean towards a lower offer from a buyer with finance ready to go than get locked into a price with a buyer in a chain. It could be a year before the money comes through. Meanwhile, I'm still paying the mortgage, interest, insurance and other associated costs. Many estate agents will only take offers from buyers with their finance in place and contracts signed on their own sale (if any).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Would vendor not providing deeds be an indication they’ve not found their next house yet?

For context, we went sale agreed 14th March and promptly provided approval. Our solicitors been quiet enough so we asked them for an update 2 weeks ago and got a reply that they’d contacted the vendors solicitors who provided them with a letter which showed they hadn’t got the deeds and we’re requesting them from the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭SharkMX

People who had mortgages with Ulsterbank in the past have had really long time periods to get the deeds back from the mortgage providers they are with now. Sometimes months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HoppingTom

Thanks having spoken to a number of people the consensus is that 15-30k was the margin for a no chain buyer at 800k+ property. The view was that 35% of properties fall through on sale agreed so no chain is an edge.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not sure where that consensus would come from, it greatly depends how well priced the 800k property is to begin with, whether the seller is entering a chain anyway etc etc. it seems a bit low to be honest, 5-10% seems about the minimum over asking for a reasonably priced property. I’d be surprised if it matters enough to a seller to take the lower offer. Sales fall though often because of fickle buyers bidding on multiple properties, getting cold feet etc, sellers going back for more to the market after delays etc. the chain part is a small enough reason for sales falling through.

• Advertisement

Not really, we requested deeds when we put up for sale, 8 weeks later sale agreed we had to chase deeds for another two weeks. Getting redemption figures is v difficult also. We couldn’t have done any more to try to be ready. Then closing was delayed by a full 2 weeks due to banks again having issues releasing funds to buyers. Banks are a major obstacle to every aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Has been absolutely nothing Around us (Tipperary) this year, could count on the one hand the amount of places realistically within our budget.
    2024 has been worse than any of the past few year’s.

Real bottom of the barrel stuff coming available that are grossly overpriced and/or need 10s of thousands to bring them upto decent standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Yep I can agree. It is shocking what is out there for what price!

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Have been looking in NE (Meath, Louth, Cavan and W/Meath)and have noticed that since May 2023 (WHEN GRANT CAME IN) asking prices went up by 70,000 and quality went down AND anything that goes sale agreed is back on the market within 3 months

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

I think back on the market within 3 months of sale agreed is a sign that the sale did not go through rather than the buyer reselling. From sale agreed to contracts signed has always taken between 3 and 10 months for me (based on 8 property purchases and sales of second hand properties). There has always been some sort of delay between deeds, banks, a chain, planning or right of way issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Yes, agree/ The ones that I have seen have been way overpriced and have issues including planning and boundry and a good few have been sold as qualifying for grant but have not been vacant for 2 years (which authorities can easily check by electricity usage). For some reason I am finding this alot with estate agents and auctioneers in NE region

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Total nightmare and waste of professional time for estate agents if it does happen. They only make money if the sale goes through. I often think a property on the market a long time or one that comes back onto the market in a short time has some issue with title or planning unless its simply overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Anecdotal I know, but the experience we had after managing to close on our first house last year was 2 houses fall through after sale agreed because of planning/access issues and then we had another house take 9 months getting contracts to us before we called it quits.

Is that law coming in yet for getting the house planning in order before you can put the house on the market? Because it's scandalous what they can get away with putting up for sale now "in case it's a cash buyer" because a mortgage provider would be more thorough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ViperMAN

Hi everyone,

I just went sale agreed on a house. I really like the house, and thought I wouldn't actually land it … now I am questioning why it was so easy, if there is something wrong with it. I am putting every cent I have into the property so I guess I am feeling a bit vulnerable. I have a few questions:

• I need to pay a deposit - which is refundable. Can I do another viewing with my partner/family before putting in the deposit?
    • If I decide to pull out after putting through the deposit, can I do need proof that something is actually wrong (engineers report, etc) - or can I say its not for me?
    • Part of the reason for me buying this is because there is plenty room at the back and sides for an extension. I have checked the regulations around adding an extension without planning (<40msq, more than 1msq from boundary, not taller than existing house, cant reduce existing open space by less than 25msq). I wouldn't buy the house if this couldn't be added - is there anything else I should watch out for?
    • I would love to meet the neighbour to see what they are like and there won't be any issues. There is hedging between the houses and I also want to understand who does what with it. Have people on here popped over to the neighbours when sale agreed to see what they are like?
    • Is there anything else I should be checking in the house before going all in? Sorry, I am just a bit nervous now that I have gone this far!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

I would imagine you can do another viewing, no problem at all.

You can put the deposit down and change your mind 100 per cent, and get it back. You may find however that the next time you offer with that EA, they'll be less likely to deal with you.

At this time of year, you would generally find people out and about in the evenings. I used to drive/cycle/walk around the area and just start chatting to people I meet to find out what the local vibe is.

Re the neighbours, you could definitely call in, introduce yourself, and have a query about something else totally unrelated in the area (sports clubs, public transport, etc). You'll get a sense of things quick enough.

You may want to check planning applications with local authorities around the area; also check the flood maps, again from the local authorities. They will tell you if the area is prone to flooding.

Also, check the street name on google with the word 'court'; this could let you know about any difficulties locally.

We were looking at a house and were about to bid on it and we said we would do a walk by the day before.

An old man was standing at the gate of the house next door. He saw us looking at the house and he said are you thinking of buying it. We said yes and started chatting to him.

We asked him if the house was in good condition inside and he said "Its fine. You can change anything you dont like in it, but you cant change those cnts living in the house attached to it. They are the reason <Owners name> is moving out, They have their heart broken the last few years. The council wont do anything either.".

We never looked at that house again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

^ This above is why its def worth having chats with neighbours if you can.

House we ended up buying was definitely influenced by one of the nicest families I've ever met being next door. Been a joy to have as neighbours since we moved in

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sure I have a neighbor on one side, he's a pig, hasn't cut the grass in years, growing through my fence, total lazy prick. House privately owned.

I'm in a small old council estate, most the houses are bought up years and gone through different owners.

Neighbour on other side is a council tenant, the nicest most considerate woman I have ever met. Her house is immaculate inside and out.

Given the choice id prefer to have 2 good neighbors either side of me than one potential disaster artist, especially the one attached to a semi - d, so we just bailed and left it to whoever was willing to take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ViperMAN

Thanks - good tips here! Googling 'court' didn't come back with anything so next I will try to chat with the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Id be hesitant to let the opinion of neighbours have too much weight in the decision to buy the house or not buy it. Unless they reveal real anti social behaviour problems etc (which is usually something you could see from visiting the area on a couple of occasions) you could just get a neighbour with an issue putting you off a house.

We bought a house with a "troublesome family" next door without speaking to neighbours but they were nothing but polite and nice to us for the 7 years we lived beside them. They'd had a troublesome kid who'd grown up and moved out before we moved in and was a pain to deal with when they visited occasionally, but the neighbours around would have advised against buying the house on the basis of that family in the adjoining house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

yes take any info u get but dont take a decision based on what they say.

• Advertisement

We were running all sorts of scenarios through our heads. Wondering did they man have a grudge. Was he telling the truth. We were only hearing from one neighbor. We only heard one side of the story.

After weighing it all up though we decided that there is more of a chance of something being off on one side or the other here and we were just better off out of it.

Advertisement