Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage is over. What do I do now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its getting to the difficult time of the day. Kids are asleep. I'm all on my own. Have just re-watched the Munster Connacht match for the third time already because I can't bring myself to watch anything good on Netflix. For me, good tv just isn't good unless you can share it with someone, and I could watch some mind numbing rubbish but that just feels worse. .. and then there's nobody to complain about how terrible it was…

Next week she'll have the kids and I've lots of little plans. Go see a Joy Division tribute band, go surfing after work at least one evening... There's a singles event nearby that I know I'm not ready for but I need to know I can have a conversation or at least maintain eye contact with another woman for long enough (but not too long) to prove to myself that there is a future to look forward to...

I've also done lots of pushups and am seriously considering joining a local BJJ group, but need to be a little bit fitter before I can even start that

Actually, feck it, I'm not that unfit. I've just emailed the local BJJ group for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Remember BJJ is like a soap opera or TV series. Most people who are into it did not enjoy the first few episodes :) How often do we hear people say a series is great but you need to watch at least X episodes before you get into it. BJJ is usually very like that.

BJJ is life for me. But thinking back on my first few classes - and looking at newbies from a black belt teachers perspective today - its getting through the first few classes that is the biggest hurdle. Because you will inevitably feel terrible at it at first. Especially as many schools will allow you have your first full wrestle from the first class.

But definitely give it 10 or 12 classes before you decide if it's something you are into or not. Do let us know how you get on too. I may even know or have competed against your teachers - though of course you likely will not want to name your school for fear of doxxing yourself :)

Good luck with it either way.

• Advertisement

My kids used to do BJJ lessons about 5 or 6 years ago and I do remember watching them and thinking it looked fun but I had a super busy life back then and didn't make time for 'me only' interests

The guy who ran it was actually an old school mate and a really nice fellah so looking forward to giving it a proper try now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭JVince

avoid counselors or therapy - they dwell on the past and try to find a "reason". That then transposes into finding blame and that does no-one any good.

Best phrase ever - learn from the past, but never dwell on it.

Marriages end - people change - life moves on.

From friends who have separated, they joined a couple of clubs.

Rotary Club. Lions club, Toastmasters clubs (brilliant for building speaking confidence) - all have a very good social aspect and there are clubs all over the country

Park Run - this comes up so often as there's a great social aspect. You could blend this in with meeting up with friends from years back as there are park runs everywhere. You can also be a volunteer.

With the Kids - find a project that could take weeks to complete. EG creating a garden feature or building some giant lego contraption or bring them on a park run - again this can be somewhere else in the country and make a day out.

It sounds like you are great with your kids and close. They might enjoy you starting a BJJ journey. If your kids like to read I highly recommend the first two books in the "Way of the warrior kid" series (soon to be a movie with Chris Pratt I believe) which you might enjoy reading together. It's a book even adults can get something out of.

One of the things I often like to do when a new person starts - is pair them off with my 13 year old daughter. Especially if they seem in any way overly cocky or two into their own muscles that they have built over 20 years of lifting.

Usually the class goes 1) Warm up 2) Show a new technique to drill with your partner 3) Fight time. And you generally fight your first partner and then switch partners two or three times before class ends.

Anyway when they find themselves turned into a puppet by my slim petite daugther the effect tends to be strong. Either they are so humiliated by it they never come back again - or they are so awe struck by the sheer magic of BJJ that they feel "I have absolutely got to learn this voodoo!" and they never leave. I can usually see it in their eyes as they tap to her for the first time which one it is. I'm almost never wrong.

After that - quite often you do not really realise how good you are getting at BJJ until someone new starts after you. Because generally people improve at the same rate you do. So you see your progress as slower than it is because you are judging it against the students around you. But then some new guy comes, maybe bigger and stronger than you are, and you fold him every which way and you realise just how far you have come.

The students who progress faster tend to be the ones who spend time watching all kinds of you tube videos at home to learn techniques to try - or they enjoy the videos showing drills and movements and work outs you can do at home that improve the movements and positions and joints and so on related specifically to BJJ. Lots of those videos showing solo things you can do at home which improve your fitness generally anyway - but also specific to BJJ movements and demands. I find working out alone at home more fun and motivated if it's towards a purpose rather than just general fitness.

We have "open mat" in our school too which is just times when people can come in and fight outside class. Recently had a white belt who wasn't into this because open mat tended to be the higher belts. But off his own bat he started a whatsapp group just for the white belts and as open mat approached they would arrange if any of them were going. Which was good because if one or two white belts were going to show up for open mat - it tended to make the others feel good about coming too. So I was glad he did that as I had kind of dropped the ball on enticing the white belts into using that time.

Anyway let us know how you get on. As you can see its a hobby that can take up 1 or 2 hours of your week - or it can be something you allow take over every waking moment of your spare time :) You can compete at white belt level against other white belts which is great. It can be inspirational just to go to an event and simply watch the white belt matches. There is one in Athlone tomorrow I believe. Irish open is in meath in June and just before that there is one in Tullamore. Dublin June 1st and Galway July 7th. So plenty to watch throughout the year if you want any more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Awful situation and while you are torn about trying to move on and hoping it can be fixed just try to give it some time. It will sort itself out one way or another and while things may look set in stone now it can all change in a while.

She may realize what she lost and who knows what will happen in future.

One thing is certain, this kind of situation is tough and it is hard to deal with so stay positive and try to do few things you did not have time to do before.

On another note - as any discussion of BJJ can take over my mind as you have just seen - I myself am someone who struggled with self doubt, self hated, anxiety and dark thoughts for many years. It took me awhile to get on top of it and now I live without it - though I am constantly aware it's still there and can come back at any moment.

Like Diabetes. If you check your levels and take your meds you can often live a life entirely "free" of the effects of diabetes but if you drop the ball it can come rushing back fast. My issues are like that. I feel entirely free of them. But I know I have to stay constantly on top of that like weeds in a garden.

Anyway the reason I mention any of that is I got on top of it not through any one thing but a combination of things. No one thing helped on it's own. I have to maintain a few things in my life and everything goes well.

One of those things in that my demons and self doubt and anxiety and inner negativity was always strongest at night. The "difficult time of day" as you call it above. So one life change I made was for me obvious and simple but powerful. I started going to bed a bit earlier and getting up a bit earlier. I am now in that Jokko Willink group of people who get up around 04:30. Which is relatively extreme of course.

Anyway it may not be for you. But if you find depression anxiety and negativity piling on you at night - consider perhaps an early to bed early to rise mentality. It does not have to be 04:30. But even an hour shift can have profound effects by knee capping the night time demons of doubt. And everyone benefits because if you get up at the same time as the kids you have the stress of getting them fed and out to school. Get up long before them and you can have much of that done before they even wake. Even their breakfasts can get better and healthier if you have time to make some effort before they get up looking to feed.

I find for me it also boosts sleep quality as my Garmin Watch shows me that my body is in "stress" to recover after work outs and the like. Which means in the morning after working out I feel alert and full of energy and craving good healthy foods. But if I work out hard late I can not sleep right and crave crap comfort foods. And even when I do sleep - my Garmin is showing me the sleep quality is rarely even near as good.

Thankfully late BJJ doesn't have the same effect on sleep :) It's generally if I work out hard at home or go for long runs. So I tend to keep that stuff for early morning and active sport like Martial Arts, Archery, Dance or horse riding for the evening/night.

In short (which I clearly never am) a simple hour shift in sleep patterns can knee cap the bad and empower the good in your life and routines. As Tom Waits sang in one of his songs "The night does funny things inside a man - old Tomcat feelings he can't understand".

• Advertisement

Thanks mate. I appreciate the thought (and length :) ) you've been putting into these comments.

I'm really excited about the BJJ thing now. First class is Monday evening, and what you said about your 13 year old daughter clicked with me too, My daughter just turned 13 and I noticed this gym's kids classes are up to 12 YO so I'm gonna ask my daughter to come with me on Monday and if she wants we can do this together. The timetable actually really suits both of us. She's already really active and a high level gymnast but has Mondays and Wednesdays free

I have a feeling there's gonna need to be a montage

Funny I was just considering re-watching that movie lately and wondering if my daughter is old enough for it.

Repeat my recommendation for the Warrior Kid books so. My daughter re-read them a few times. In one of the books the Navy Seal recommends the kid make their own "Warrior Kid Code" and I found her doing that off her own bat. And she decided recently to deal with a bully in her school in pretty much the exact way the kid deals with his bully in the book. By having her and her friends build him a bike as a gift. So quite the effect the book has had on us overall.

So quite the inspirational book and BJJ was one of the cores in it :) 5 books but to be honest 4 and 5 are just filler. But I've given the books to adults and it's inspired and changed them. But if you are considering getting into BJJ together they'd definitely be good books to read together.

really useful advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The comment to avoid therapy is really ill advised.

Not everything has to look back to a detailed reason in the past or blame. counselling should never be a blame game. If it is, you’ve got the wrong counsellor.

A lot of people separate at this age, particularly those together a long time. You are not the same person you are when you met and neither is your wife. People grow apart and usually one realises it before the other. She’s done her grieving already.

your counselling should focus on who you are now, moving forward and the great future ahead of you. Positivity!

One of the best therapies is fresh air and nature. Get yourself a daypack, flask of tea, up early and out for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I went through similar when I was the same age as you. Together 18 years, married 10, 2 kids.

It sucks, it really does. I had a life in mind and felt that life was snatched away from me. First things first, things will get better. Your wife and you will start to go on a different path and a time will come when you realise you are no longer the man from that relationship, and she is no longer the same woman. And you are not the one and only for each other now. My thought process went from "She will realise her mistake, come back to me, and we will get together again" to "She will realise her mistake, come back to me and I will reject her" to "I no longer care what she does, and I wish her every happiness".

Your future for now is being there for your kids. My ex and I went 2:2:3 on a weekly basis. It means I see my kids 11 days out of every 14. Sometimes only in the morning before school, sometimes only in the evenings after school, sometimes the whole day long. Being there for the kids includes making sure you keep things up at work, keep healthy, keep your home in good order. It's tempting to lie in bed until midday, eat chinese at midnight in your underpants, drink lots because you have a new found freedom. It isn't the best idea.

I also felt that part of my identity was being as part of a couple, and threw myself into dating, using apps. I came across as too needy as I wanted a stepmother for my kids, a lifelong partner to live with, and carried a massive chip on my shoulder about my ex. And that was just so intense that I had no success at all. I was deeply unattractive, given my state of mind. My advice to you is to leave that for at least a year. I only had any meaningful relationships (more than two dates with the same person) once I no longer cared whether I was in a relationship or not, just met up with some women to have a good night out and see what happens next.

You'll get there mate. Focus on the kids and living the best life for you. Try to make sure that the lad who goes to bed at night is a better one than the one who woke up this morning. Tomorrow always comes, even when it seems it won't, and it's always better than the day before when you look for the positives.

That was one of the first things I did! The Camino de Santiago. I only did the last 100km from Sarria and, instead of flying to SdC, taking the bus out to Sarria and walking back, I flew to Barcelona and got the train up to Sarria and walked from there.

The night before the train, I was in Barcelona and felt so alone. Looking at restaurants, at happy couples, and thinking how lovely they look and how I could never go in.

On the Camino itself, I met so many wonderful people. I never once felt lonely. If anything, there were too many people that I had to say goodbye to that I had built a connection with in such a short period. I ended up finishing a day early and was in SdC by myself for a few days, without the other pilgrims on the Camino, so was a bit lonely, but then took the bus to Porto, then headed home from there.

That November, then, I went to Nuremberg by myself for the weekend and, on the Saturday night, took the big step and went into a beautiful restaurant on my own, had a lovely dinner and had a great time. Now, I do the lot. Cinema, theatre, galleries, pubs, restaurants. Sometimes I am glad to be on my own because I don't have to worry about others enjoying the show or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You can go with a small group also, there some really good irish ones!

The first time I went (Sarria to Santiago) I went with had only 5 people in the group and we are still in strong contact nearly 10 years later. The beauty of the small group is that you dont have to worry about luggage or anything, its ahead for you. All you need is to get up, hot shower and wonder if you can make it to the kit kat break stop or if the rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain (there's a lot of rain in northern spain)

You can walk and talk with someone or take some time alone to walk with your own thoughts. Or a bit of both. Everyone had their own reasons for being there and it was great getting to know everyone. It was like free therapy. Every day it finished with a glass of whatever in a local spanish bar by way of achievement and by the time we walked into the Square in Santiago, it was overwhelming and very emotional, nothing to do with being religious at all. We met the some people on their way and their stories are humbling, really puts your own into perspective. And lots of laughter on the way, belly laughs.

At one lunch stop, we met a lovely Polish couple in their very early thirties. He had been diagnosed with six months to live, so they left life as they knew it and went on the Camino, one day at a time. They were already walking 9 months, so he said he said he'd already beaten the F*****. He was full of smiles and life. I often think about them and hope he made it to Santiago.

From the OP's posts and style, it sounds like something that would suit him when he's ready.

Yeah that sounds great. So many options :) And all excellent motivation for me to keep fit, positive and away from those awful bars.

Some of the worst times I've had since this whole thing started were when I was walking around the town I'm in (literally, walked every single road and lane in the place over the past 6 months) and looking for something to do socially as a middle aged separated man and coming to the conclusion that it's just depressed old alcoholics sitting at a bar and wondering If I would end up like that.

I've been to a couple of gigs on my own already and it's been fine but I need to stay away from the whiny singer songwriters for now… don't need to hear about their breakups for hours while sitting on my own mulling my past mistakes 😂

Listening to sad songs will make you feel sad! That is what they are designed for. If I am feeling low, I watch something that I know will make me laugh. Old Simpsons, Alan Partridge, that sort of thing. When I finish watching them, the problems which caused me to feel sad are still there, but I have had a good laugh in the meantime and it doesn't feel so bad.

You mention that you're doing, or are going to do 50:50 care with the kids, but also that you are going to have several weeks without them. Is that due to summer holidays? That's the ideal time to plan some solo travel. In the past five years I have been to Ukraine, Finland, Albania, Sweden, Estonia, Germany, Spain, Greece all on my own. I've also travelled with male friends during this period if someone fancies coming away. Getting these trips organised takes a bit of time, so uses headspace, and gives you something to look forward to.

Sitting on your own in a bar is no good, no better than sitting at home alone, but it's grand to go to a bar and talk to someone you don't know. But you just need to be cautious about the drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,732 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think the trick is to keep your self busy,

Your going to have a hell of a lot more time on your hands & instead of looking at that as a time that will make you lonely make it a time to try new things or get things done you never had the time for before,

Its hard to take on board now but your born alone you;ll die alone you need to make peace with being alone & not relying on others to make you happy, Focus on all the good things relationships bring like your kids & that but don't make them define who you are,

Keep off the drink ads much as you can it just leads to trouble in times like this , Give your self a year at least before you even start to think about dating ,

A huge issue for blokes getting out of long term relationships is the feel the need to jump striaght back into one to show they are doing "GOOD" & are "over " the previous partner, They feel like people pity them being alone, Don't fall into that trap , You might feel the urge & fair enough your only human but don't just fall into a relationship with the first women that looks your way,

Get your diet cleaned up & go work out, walking ,running, gym whatever you fancy but it'll give you a confidence boost

Best of luck & try to enjoy yourself,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Hi Akrasia,

Some brilliant advice here. I'm in my mid fifties and my marriage ended almost a year ago with a bang. I came home one night to find all my belongings thrown around the front garden and street. I became homeless and destitute.

You have a lot going for you. You have a roof over your head, you seem like a good father to good kids. Concentrate on the good things in life and don't be afraid to reach out to family and friends.

I'm going on my first date tomorrow after a year on my own, you don't need to rush things. Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Hi Op. You have received very sound advice here all of which I echo. I just pick up the urgency in your talk about finding someone else and being on your own.

At this period, you really do need to be on your own in terms of a relationship. You have a lot to process and are going through a grief process which isn't linear so that needs your full attention and isn't really fair to bring someone into your life while that's going on.

Focus on yourself, your children, your family, friends. This should be your time to focus on your wellbeing and being selfish with your time and energy.

In time, when you're well into your healing journey, you will be more available emotionally and mentally to meet someone else.

So for now, fill these new silent times with selfish things for yourself. Even something so basic like a bath night and a book and a glass of wine can feel like a self care treat.

To thine own self be true

Best of luck tomorrow! Sounds like you've had an absolutely awful time but glad it's looking up now

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭rowantree18

If I could give you one piece of advice to put into a box for later it would be this:

When you get back out there, which eventually you will, go for women your own age group. Someone to share fun, sex, laughter and maybe love with and to have things in common. I see loads of men round my way , divorced and hooked up with a younger woman who, quite naturally, will want kids of her own. These guys look exhausted, running between 2 sets of kids, a lot of financial responsibility etc. I'd enjoy the kids you have, be as fully present for them as you can and enjoy your free time too. Loads of fab 40 year old women with one or two kids of their own - you could synchronise your kid free weekends and have a blast.

And if anyone thinks I'm being sexist or something, I'm female.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

I'm in a similar boat OP. My wife of 15 years ended our marriage 3 weeks ago and I'm walking around like a lost puppy since then not knowing what to be doing with myself. We know each other 20odd years. She's all i know. I took time off work as I'm not in the right headspace at the minute but i don't think the free time is doing me any favours.

makes it worse that neither of us is willing to leave the house as we've nowhere else to go. The house belongs to one of my family members and i pay the rent so I'm insisting i should be the one staying. We've to wait 5 months for mediation.

Some good advice in the chat and I'll be taking some of it on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

had a motorbike too and am tempted to get another one

GET ONE!
    Honest to god, Riding motorcycles has to be the best thing a single man in his 40's can do, that or lifting weights in the Gym.

Been lying awake since 5am trying to make sense of the financial stuff.

We co-own our house which is (luckily) almost paid off. We've agreed to split everything in half so basically if it all goes according to plan, we'll both have 50% equity in our own house. If we can get a mortgage...

Currently we're leaving the kid's in the family home and each taking a week on and off, she stayed at her mother's this week, today I'm due to move to stay with an uncle until next Monday.

This isn't ideal and not a long term solution at all, so any advice on how to split our assets and both of us get our own 3 bed house as quickly and efficiently as possible would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also really hating the fact that I'm gonna be severely limited financially. Our fixed costs are about to double while our incomes are staying the same, and variable costs will also increase with the kids needing extra stuff to cover 2 households, and the cost of 2 independent adults both trying to self actualise..

All the stuff I can do now because I've got more time, I won't be able to afford to do because I've got no money.

It's such an absolute disaster.

(PS, I know we're lucky to have the house as an asset, loads of people are much worse off)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭YellowLead

You’ll be very lucky if you manage that situation - splitting 50/50. A lot of men are left in a situation where they are finding the original house plus renting somewhere new, they usually can’t offers two houses so rent a room or a small flat with no space for the children so they just get to take them out at weekends. Fair play to your wife for being equitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I thought the same when it happened me.

It will work out, like if you're splitting stuff 50/50 then you will have equity/money in the house if it's sold or if one buys the other out.

That should be more than enough to get a deposit on a new place and if worse comes to worst you can rent a room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Are you thinking of one person buying out the other I.e. one staying in the house. Does your wife work?

Advertisement