Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which party will you give your #1 preference to in the upcoming European election

Options
  • 16-05-2024 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭

I know there's a thread about this already but it badly needs a poll (Mods feel free to merge this with that if possible)

Due to only having 10 choices I've had to lump some of the smaller parties together (If your chosen party is lumped in with some other parties that you don't particularly like then choose that grouping anyway - it's not an endorsement of all of them)

Which party will you give your #1 preference to in the upcoming European election 528 votes

Sinn Fein
    8% 45 votes
    Fine Gael
    16% 89 votes
    Fianna Fail
    5% 30 votes
    Green Party
    10% 56 votes
    Labour Party
    3% 16 votes
    Soc Dems
    6% 34 votes
    Independent Ireland, Aontu
    15% 81 votes
    Independents 4 Change, PBP-Solidarity, Rabharta Glas
    1% 7 votes
    National Party, Irish Freedom Party, Ireland First, Irish People
    11% 60 votes
    Independents
    20% 110 votes
    Post edited by Brussels Sprout on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You could have put Labour & Soc Dems together as birds of a feather.

Meanwhile Independent Ireland and Aontú might be more different beasts..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Jesús the options are …. not good . are they

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭reactadabtc

FG will be getting my first preference followed by the Greens, FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Same, with Labour getting a preference as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Funny you should say that. I did actually consider those exact splits, especially since I cannot see Labour or Soc Dems getting close to winning a seat whereas both Ind Ireland and Aontu could win seats. However if I had split them out then I'd probably have had to split I4C out, for similar reasons and I didn't have enough spaces for that. In the end I just went by the largest parties in the current Dail.

Independent Ireland and Aontu are both courting the same "You can vote for us if you care about immigration but couldn't stomach voting for the far-right" vote so it's not the worst grouping either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well I might have clicked Independent Ireland but I didn't as they are grouped with Aontú. Not that I wouldn't agree with much of what Peadar says on many matters, but fundamentally that party is pretty socially conservative on well known issues. Which makes them difficult to vote for. So I clicked Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Hmm ok. I've updated the instructions in the OP to make it clear for others that you're not necessarily endorsing all of the parties in a grouping if you happen to only like one.

Ah well it's not the end of the world. It's not like this is all very scientific anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Poll should be public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'll do my usual and give some mad independent my first preference, the bigger parties will be near the bottom…

• Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's only one possibility of unseating Von Der Leyen, which is getting MEPs elected to support the PES spitzenkandidat. No other spitzenkandidat has a chance.

While you'd assume any Soc Dem MEPs would join PES; the party are not currently members. Labour are.

FF, Greens and SF are supporting no-hope candidates.

FG will not get a single preference as long as they remain in the EPP.

Back when the last major shift in group alignments happened, FG and FF somehow ended up in the groups that the other one should have been in; albeit FF would not fit in the EPP now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If it wasn't for the posters, you'd hardly know the Europeans were on at all. Not exactly setting the world on fire, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

The question for me, at least, is this — what advantage does it serve to vote in these elections?

In other words, what difference does it make? Not to me, but the average person on the street.

It doesn't seem to make any difference.

It seems nothing more than a "democratic-seeming" irrelevance. It will come and go, and people won't know why.

That's why I won't be voting, and probably never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

As somebody who considers themselves leftwing but is against mass migration, Hamas and Russia I'm in a political desert with nobody to vote for.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'll pick the one who is least lazy. Or none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

"It doesn't seem to make any difference" until it does. I trust you won't be complaining in the future if you have problems with your CC or the EU given you have no interest in exercising your democratic right.

You might not get the result you want but you get a say. For a high frequency poster in this forum, I find it odd that you wouldn't vote when you clearly have plenty of strong opinions.

Nice go at undermining democracy, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

1. National Party
    2. Aontu
    3. Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Ming Flanagan number one, after that I don't have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I will probably give a 1st to the NP, following up with FG 2 and FF 3.

Can't see the NP getting elected but this is my protest vote that there isnt someone that better suits my ideals.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Not sure fascists are the best option for a "protest vote" to be honest mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Loads of options…..

Are many of them good is the question?

• Advertisement

Really? what has the guy done since he has been elected?

Seems to disappear and only pops his head up when he wants another few handy years of pay roll. Could be wrong on that but haven't seen him do anything

Well apart from rubbing his legs live on video call

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Voting for fascists as a protest vote is idiotic, even more so when your two and three are going to establishment parties. Not much of a protest if they will still benefit in the likely event the NP candidate doesn't reach the quota. I really wonder about some posters' understanding of how elections work in Ireland.

Either vote independents, spoil your vote or don't bother. Voting for the likes of NP just emboldens them.

Protest votes don't really work because if loads of people do it then you end up with some plonker representing you. Look at last election from some areas which got totally burned with the protest vote

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Agree with this. Both have Iona type Catholic religious ideas but Aontu seen much worse.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I appreciate boards isn't necessarily as reflective of broader Irish society as it was let's say 10 years ago, but looking at the numbers on the poll currently, there would appear to be a fairly respectable chance someone from the National Party would be elected. So the logic of "they won't get elected anyway, so it's fine lol" is somewhat less than airtight.

If people want to vote for fascists, they really need to understand that yes there is a possibility that their vote will get the fascist elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

What have any of them done? I couldn't even tell you who the other midlands/ northwest MEPs are

https://x.com/lukeming/status/1638197494201892865

So why would you vote him back in if he has done nothing?

Nt sure what the tweet is providing? he is saying he is doing something but achieved nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

The man who became an MEP, then went silent to rake in the easy cash that his position earns.

Clare Daly, him, and that other clown, Mick Wallace, are laughing at the people who voted them in to cushion their now comfortable lifestyles.

They don't give a damn about voters, they just say what they think the voter base wants to hear.

How anyone can vote for them in these elections is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Interesting to see which posters openly admit to voting Nazi. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭MFPM

Who would you suggest one votes for in Europe given that all MEPs are paid the same money and are entitled to claim the same level of expenses but are not r will not be cushioning their 'comfortable lifestyles' as you put it? Genuinely intrigued to see who you're suggesting.

Advertisement