Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Of course they are partially connected and it's galling to see the idea being trotted out that they're not. We have 26-34 yr olds at home who would love to be able to rent at a reasonable rent or eventually purchase. What we see is a government who is so busy housing the 1000s turning up since we have a supposed legal obligation to do this. And forgetting their primary duty to their own citizens first. A government buying up properties, competing on the open market against young purchasers. Using this generations own taxes to outbid them and buy up housing to give away. A government hell bent on driving up our population by both legal and illegal immigration. A government pouring petrol on an already tight housing supply with ridiculous rents. All these 'Luckys' in IPA camps will soon be out and about and shaking up with dozens of others in rentals, competing for housing and work. The view you express is remote from reality and public anger and is exactly why this current crowd are going to get an almighty boot up the arse come the June elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭Augme

Stop with the misinformation. Your position stating that "nobody has an issue with people coming here to work" is completely incorrect. You either haven't been reading this thread, or you are deliberate pretending posts made in this thread don't exist. This was posted on the previous page and has 33 thanks.

We're sound, happy to meet & sorry to part … until it starts to affect us. Do the sums.

It's quite conceivable that we could be looking at 50,000 non nationals coming to Ireland annually, between those with valid work visas, asylum seekers and temporary war refugees.

If each one of those 50,000 brings in just one extra person - spouse, child etc - that's 100,000 sooner or later.

Over 10 tens years that's 1,000,000 non nationals living here.

These people are often young, fertile and will have children. Even with a reproduction rate of 1, that will soon be 2,000,000 and quadruple to 4,000,000 in a generation.

You could have a young Irish person now who heads to Aus for a bit of craic, work, experience etc. They couple up, have a child or two and decide in 10 years to come back, so they can rear their children in Ireland. Quite common situation.

They'd be coming back to a totally different Ireland, with a vastly changed demographic and the way of life they remember only existing in pockets.

This is not xenophobia, it's a very real and likely prospect. If that's what we want, well we should accept it. If it's not what we want, we'd better start doing something about it quick. What would be good is if the political elite actually established what way we see Ireland developing and not just lecturing us that 'we don't understand'..

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fran38

The plan is to create chaos so as to confuse us. Look, theres a lot of info on the internet if people have interest in looking this stuff up. I apologise for the colourful language last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Yeah but they're legal so there's no comparison. And it ain't a cop out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Presume they were arriving at that time to avoid the traffic. No other reason surely to be sneaking in in the middle of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭klose

I am against these mass units sites as much as anyone but those travellers in that site use said field to run their horses and run drugs from so that’s the only reason they’re causing trouble, they’re an absolute drain on Clonmel spreading drugs around the town. Another topic for another day obviously that.

Again, it was clear that this would happen putting the units in this field, it’s only the start of it, if the units get put up I’ve no doubt the travellers will burn em down that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

Interesting comment on one of those coole videos, they're trying to speak to the local landowner (I presume) to find out why he's allowing this to happen on his land and someone says "he's in with troy."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Ah Roberto Troy the hardest working TD there is. Had his fingers in so many pies he could of done with a third hand grafted on to his body somewhere.

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Asylum seekers are being sent to places like Crooksling and Thornton Hall, as well as emergency accommodation places around the country, plus hotels. This has hardly anything to do with 26 to 34 year olds not being able to rent an apartment or rent or buy their own home. As recently as early to mid 2021, there were hardly any asylum seekers entering the country at all - and the domestic housing crisis was a huge thing at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

I agree with you that fleeing from one country to another as an asylum seeker / IPA / refugee or whateveryou want to call them , this is legal.

But how many do we take before the ship sinks from the pure weight of numbers ? The government strategy is clueless and without logic.

NGO's and some on here are advocating sure let whoever wants to come here rock up and apply for asylum. That's fine if we had the laws etc to deport the fraudulent applicants. But we don't and the stats from last few years prove that out with the famous Leave to Remain clause. So in theory majority that arrive here stay here.

Now my point is do we stop now or keep going till the whole thing goes up the s#itter and take the usual irish attitude, we didn't see this coming.

Pa straight answer.l

• Advertisement

They look nice anyway, wouldn't say they're cheap either.

https://www.taggarthomes.com/modular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Jesus. 2 for 2!! I’d vote for you if you were running. If only our politicians had your common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

There's literally a government tender out for private properties. There are housing estate developments being shot up without planning permission to cash in on IPA's.

Up to 30k per year coming in over the next few years, where do you think they're all going to end up? Take your head out of the sand. 26-34 year olds are way down the developer food chain now.

“We have also not found ourselves in the path of any huge disaster, genocide, invasion etc.”

Maybe read a history book.

Exactly. bigger money to be made now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

https://extra.ie/2024/05/17/news/irish-news/violent-chaos-asylum-seekers

Exactly, same as they took action for Paddys Day and the same as cities do when they host and Olympics/World Cup. Out of sight, out of mind until the big event is over. An election in this case.

Is he the lad who boasted he never went to college and had acquired multiple properties, buy to lets by his late 20s? If so, the cap fits.

Come up for air sometime and have a look about you. Where do you think these people are going after Crooksling, Coole, Thornton Hall, Newtown, Roscrea, Ballyvaughan, Kippure Estate and so on? Where? Where have all those who arrived here legally and illegally over the past decade gone, where are they getting housing? These people are all and/or will be all in direct competition for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭ECookie13

If you honestly think that, then god help us all. You do realise the accommodation is temporary and 99% of them will end up in state paid/on housing lists afterwards and will be replaced by new REFUGEES FLEEING WAR AND PERSECUTION afterwards? Thus the cycle continues and only gets worse. Go to any state housing estate and see who are taking up the new houses, see for yourself.

You just admitted that they are using hotels, so this shows you are aware of why our tourism sector is collapsing around most of the country. I know you won't admit that, though.

And we wonder why so many of our qualified graduates are emigrating in their droves. Come back in 10-20 years, and see if you still believe your statement. 

• Advertisement

Go to social housing estates like Moylaragh in Balbriggan, Ongar out near Blanch etc and tell me Irish people aren’t competing for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,122 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

More like little Mogadishu or little Lagos.

People of Gaza are pinned where they are plus if they left en masse at the outset it would only allow Israel to roll in and occupy it.

Of course Irish people are competing for housing. It seems the pro immigration left don’t think that’s the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I promise to read a history book if you promise to read the full thread of the conversation I was having with that poster which was clearly centred around our own generational lifetime. Deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

This is one I can’t get my head around

I just ask them, “when they’ve been granted leave to stay where will they live if not in the private market?”

Cue silence

They’re either going to be a burden on the state for provided housing or they’ll be competing against the existing population in the private market. It’s one or the other.

I suppose if you live with your head in the sand and see nothing it can somehow be neither

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

on Pat Kenny it was mentioned that number of Ukrainians has dropped from 120,000 to 80,000

So the problem with migration from everywhere else would have been worse if 40,000 of these didn’t return home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I just find this fascinating to be honest. Genuinely. Why do you and others find this so incredibly hard to accept? Do you think it's some sort of "gotcha" logic trap? Or is it just a kind of not-an-inch intellectual stubborness?

It's OK — acknowledging that Irish migrants also present some downsides to the native people of the countries they emigrate that are of a similar nature to some of the downsides presented by migrants here doesn't mean you have to dye your hair blue, start working for an NGO and add "#refugeeswelcome" to your social media handles.

hold on a sec, let him explain this tax free loophole he claims exists

You can rent a room to a Ukrainian for €800 a month tax free, there's also a rent a room scheme where you can get up to €14k a year tax free. I thought the Ukrainian scheme was merged with the rent a room scheme but apparently not, so in reality you could rent rooms in your house for €23k a year and not have to pay any tax on it.

• Advertisement

where can one get information on this? Specifically the tax free bit

Advertisement