Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

How will faster processing times help if we will not deport significant numbers? Realistically that will not change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I agree to a certain extent, I don't believe we should have hundreds of people in this country living in tents, where No one knows where they are.

IPAs are not prisoners however and cannot be detained indefinitely without trial. Article 40.4.1 of the constitution, ° No citizen shall be deprived of his personal liberty save in accordance with law.'

And the Supreme Court deemed it unconstitutional to prohibit asylum seekers from work, NVH V Min. for Justice.

They really need to speed up the claims process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

Also, we should definitely discriminate when it comes to processing IPA claims. That means rejecting IPA claims for people with a violent criminal background. It may also mean rejecting applications from nations where the prevailing culture is anathema to our own. We have a liberal and republican constitution in our country and we should take reasonable steps to safeguard it. Take for example same sex marriage and the right to terminate a pregnancy. Both of which are now rights enshrined in our constitution by the democratic will of the people. There are certainly cultures in the world who would find both of those rights to be complete anathema to them. Why risk our own progress and values for those of others, especially when such values are clearly dear to us. We need to get out of idealistic thinking and get into realistic thinking i.e. the cultures of some tribes / nations / religions are diametrically opposed to ours. And that limiting immigration from these diametrically opposed cultures may be a good idea.

Idealism has taken hold in a big way in our government. Nothing wrong with ideals but they must be applied pragmatically with respect paid to the reality of the situation. We had two idealistic referenda only in the near past that was pushed by government, both of which were soundly rejected by a realist electorate. We're seeing the same happen again in communities all over Ireland. An idealistic government believing that its possible to double the population of rural communities with IPAs and that integration will take care of itself. Again and again this is being resisted by realistic communities who rightly ask questions like, has our personal security been considered here? Our access to public services? Our access to hosuing in our local community? We've a rocky road ahead unless the government has an epiphany .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What I think is that there's a very high representation of foreign nationals in Irish prisons(15% of prisoners come from a foreign national background), will we get breakdown of offences from the figures on cases of sexual violence/abuse from the non-nationals population..?

We all see the high level cases, Pushka, Yousef Palani, Riad Bouchaker… All we'll see when an IPA/Migrant is involved will be "A man was arrested today…"

So you can see that mothers of young children near the proposed migrant encampment at Thornton Hall are very worried.

Thankfully these locals had some good luck today when they blocked a convoy of modular homes from their village:

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/05/17/protesters-preventing-delivery-of-modular-homes-to-a-site-in-co-westmeath/

There's that element to it too. For the IPA process to work, one potential outcome must be that an IPA claim can be considered invalid and the person deported. The system can't work without that.

It's like housing. For a housing system to work, evictions must be possible. In cases such as non-payment of rent / mortgage, damaged caused to property, anti social behavior or crime in a property.

Same with security. To have public security we must punish and deter crime.

We need to wake up a bit that way. Systems only work when non conformance to the system is penalised. It can't work otherwise. What we're doing right now with the IPA process is like playing a game of soccer without any referee. We're trusting the players to abide by the rules without any enforcement. It won't end well unless we change.

Post edited by almostover on

• Advertisement

How is that a very high representation? 20% of people in Ireland are foreign born.

I agree, IPAs are not prisoners. But re-read your quote from our constitution 'save in accordance with law'. What laws should we have in place to protect the general population from unvetted immigrants? What is the lesser of two evils here? Detaining IPAs until their background and veracity of IPA claim can be established? Or leaving IPAs who are unvetted out into the public. Also, I didn't specify anything about indefinite detention. It should be of definite duration by way of a speedy IPA processing system. That would go a long way to deterring anyone from destroying their documents in transit.

As for the supreme court decision, that was ill advised. I can't think of a single country I can travel to right now where I could work legally without having my background checked first. I work with a large multinational and travel a bit for work and when outside of the EU I can't even enter a country without a Visa and background check being done first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

You are correct but we are never going to deport large numbers, no chance. The processing system is actually not relevant. Also, the accommodation capacity is irrelevant because we are never building our way out of this. Everything is down to how many are entering the country so only policies lowering numbers entering the country will have an impact.

What laws should we have in place to protect the general population from unvetted immigrants?

That would be every law, the same protections for everybody from everybody else.

And you can indeed work in every UK or EU country, we all can. I wouldn't have the audacity to call a Supreme Court decision ill advised, they are the experts in interpretation of the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

IPAs are not citizens. I can't believe this has to be pointed out to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

He was where the work WAS for a short while, after that he worked his lad, that bedded him and his family in for the long run for collect benefit💶💶💶 for make glorious mansion in Romania... Very nice I like Irish peeple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Emblematic

You've managed to contradict yourself in three sentences. In fact, the first two contain the contradiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

audacity? A healthy functioning and democratic society is allowed to question authority figures.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here? The provisions of the constitution apply to everyone in the country. Unless you think the Supreme Court don't understand the constitution

Do you think ordinary members of society have the experience and knowledge on the interpretation of the Constitution, that the Judges of the Supreme Court have?

how do you know the poster is an “ordinary member of society” whatever that means

Regardless I believe everyone has the right to question authority figures. Supreme Court judges are not gods

15% of prisoners come from a foreign national background. Further, the IPA could not provide ethnicity data for 22% of committals…. So potentially 37% of the prison population are non-nationals.

The numbers of migrants arriving is ever increasing so I am sure the crime stats involving these male arrivals, of whom we have no idea of their criminal records, mental health history, religious views on LGBT people (many coming from countries where LGBT people would be imprisoned or stoned to death). In Nigeria where a large cohort are from and claiming asylum here: https://www.humandignitytrust.org/country-profile/nigeria/ In the second highest number of migrants country: https://eurasianet.org/anti-gay-violence-goes-unpunished-in-georgia-again

And Somalia https://www.humandignitytrust.org/country-profile/somalia/

How many families with kids would feel safe letting their young children travel to school on busses when a migrant camp for 1000 undocumented migrant males in put in place near where they live?

Its fairly self explanatory! Are we not all ordinary members of society

• OK this is something that seems to be wrong with discourse.

Both things can be true at once. Some shameful **** has gone on in this country. Never deny that.

15% of prisoners come from foreign national background, the other 22% you have no idea of their nationality. 20% of the country is foreign born, so no not a very high percentage really. Seems normal enough.

A And you think that we should be afraid of people coming from countries where being gay is illegal, like it was here until 30 years ago, should other countries have been afraid of the Irish because of that?

• Advertisement

I’m not denying that. Every country has its shameful events. But I’m sorry, I’m not buying that Ireland has the atrocious reputation that this poster claims

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

I don't why you are incapable of accepting the facts of the situation. Again,there no need for people to make up false stories to push a certain agenda.

Go back to 1992 and ask someone who's stuck in that year in Ireland, we moved on, so then answer the real question where you have all these migrant males coming from countries where being Gay can get you imprisoned or killed..and while you're there ask them what their religion thinks of the LGBT community?

• Our protected ethnic brethren no doubt. Another shower of wasters sucking on the tit of the taxpayer. Deport them aswell while we're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I have no interest in my taxes being used to pay for modular homes.

Please go back to wherever you came from. You lot are not wanted here.

You may have failed to notice that Ireland has a separation of state and religion now, so ask yourself what does the majority religion in say Somalia, where a large number of immigrants come from think of being Gay?

We really don't have a separation, I wish we did, we have nearly 90% of state schools still have a Catholic ethos.

Our constitution starts with the following,

In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,

We, the people of Éire,

Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ

Can you explain why it matters what the religion in Somalia thinks of being gay? Is it different to what the main religion in Ireland thinks?

I don't know why there is boxes in the last post, boards gone nuts today🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭tom23

please point out exactly where I made up a false story to prove a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Ffs, could that not have been up for change in the recent referendum instead of that durable relationships crap

So no Muslim students in Irish schools with a Christian ethos is it?

Pretty sure there must be, considering 90% of national schools have a Catholic ethos. Don't know what that has to do with anything though??

I never said you made no a false story. I said you won't accept the facts of the situation. In your past you said.

who’s making up lies? Who?

This is the lie I am referring to posted by another posted which you continue to defend.

From the link.

You can enter Ireland and stay here for up to 3 months (6 months if you are looking for a job) without restriction. If you plan to stay more than 3 months, you must either:

Be working (either employed or self-employed)

Have enough money and sickness insurance to support yourself and your family

Be enrolled as a student or vocational trainee or

Be a family member of an EEA or Swiss citizen in one of the previous categories.

Josef Puska never worked in Ireland. He should have been deported years ago before he claimed disability and was some how physically well enough to murder Aisling Murphy.

He did work on Ireland. He was legally entitled to stay in Ireland. As you said yourself, people should be challenged and people who continously push false information for a particular agenda should be challenged every time.

Post edited by Augme on

Oh right so because of Irish laws we have a tolerance of other religions and customs even in Christian schools.

So try the opposite in Somalia, attend a school as a Catholic/Christian and see how that works out.

In case you're not following the posts here, the original point was about the customs/religions that these migrant males are bringing from their countries to Ireland and which they still practice 5 times per day and their indoctrinated views on LGBT/women.. And see why people are opposed to migrant camps with men from places such as Somalia don't want them in their towns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭tom23

edit your post please to include that I did not write that paragraph. Puska did work but for a very very short period. So please tell me for how long did he work to warrant a four bedroomed house and the social welfare he received. In fact he got more out of the taxpayer than we did out of him. But defend away. Your ideology and principles will stay in tact. I’ll keep viewing Puska as a murdering scrounger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You are a disgracefull human being justifying Josef Puska entitlement to sponge off the Irish taxpayer ,the same murderer that laughed at Aisling Murphy's family when he was in the dock .Shame on you !!

Oh, so you just have an issue with Muslim men then? Is that all Muslim men, what about the ones here who are working.

Do you seriously believe that every Muslim in the world thinks alike, in the same way as every Christian thinks alike?

Did I say "Muslim?" No.

Did I reference the cultures and customs where the top 3 countries numbers wise come from? Yes.

I was directly speaking about the undocumented migrant males appearing in the country whereby now they have to be accommodated in camps at places like Thornton Hall.

You may not see why people don't want these migrant males getting on the Bus from their encampment, now you have a better idea.

Do keep up instead of trying to steer me into referencing a certain group.

How many religions pray 5 times a day? I'm not sure why you wouldn't say the name of the religion. Bit strange, when all your posts are about their religion and customs.

And no, I am no wiser now, why everyone should be afraid of people because of their religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Horrible crimes without doubt, but your numbers seem quite exaggerated.

I see a figure of 74 children identified as the victims from a 2024 independent report.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochdale_child_sex_abuse_ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Can anyone tell me why we couldn’t have built modular homes for nurses and gards in Dublin who can’t afford to rent???

How all of a sudden it can be done for chancers and scam artists who aren’t even from this country?

No wiser to my actual original point about the new migrant camps springing up all over the state and why good ordinary Irish citizens don't want them in their towns and villages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'd feel a lot safer in general if so many Gardai weren't taken up policing all these protests, investigating arsons, protecting politicians and checking paperwork at airports.

The idea of the anti-immigration brigade being concerned with public safety, whether that's men, women or children, doesn't hold up at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Because our International obligations trump the citizens of this country every time. That's why. Figleaf politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thanks. Thats something but nowhere near enough. Thats maybe 3 weeks worth of applicants. Probably less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've a theory. I think the govt have this unyielding desire to be loved by the EU and the rest of the world for that matter. They want Ireland to be seen as this wonderful generous place and have this squeaky clean good reputation.

And sure, so what If that means they have to absolutely shyt on the people of this country, its ethos,values, culture and traditions. Don't tell the locals nothing.

The govt don't work for the people it's supposed to serve. Too busy pleasing Brussels now.

I have edited it now. It's not my job to determine how long he needs to work. The EU and Ireland are the ones responsible for that. Take the issue up with them if you have a problem with it.

Thank you. A very informative and well written post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that in terms of the govt reviewing the entitlements of asylum seekers, given the numbers coming in, and no infrastructure/housing for them that these 6 weeks to deal with what is drawing them here is probably the last chance to avoid a humanitarian crisis because we simply can not cope anymore. We are at the end of the road now. It will be destitution and homelessness one way or another for every single asylum seeker that arrives here within a matter of weeks.

That's going to be on our streets extremely visibly. It's going to shock people how bad this will get in my opinion.

We have had 30 years of feckless immigration policy driven mainly by vested interests and "the left".

Reminds me of the quote "everyone has a plan until they are punched in the face". That's us now, getting punched in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Harris addressed this very point yesterday when being questioned by Gript. Those international obligations are not 'imposed' on us by some outside force : we helped draw them up ourselves and were willing signatories to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement