Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which party will you give your #1 preference to in the upcoming European election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭MFPM

The results so far are entirely predictable given the content of various discussions here on the elections and migration. T

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

They're all paid the same, but some are no better than grifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I chose to make it private since voting in real life is private (yes I realise that everyone on this site is using an online identity but even so I wanted them to feel free to express their true opinion).

You didn't answer my question, you simply repeated the same point. So let's try that again, 'some' are allegedly no better than grifters who do you think are/will be different and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StoutPost

Like another poster I won't click an Aontu button, but I will be voting for Ciaran Mullooly and Independent Ireland. Mostly down to two personalities being involved with the organisation, Michael Fitzmaurice and Eddie Punch. In the last two EU Parl elections I have voted for Luke Ming Flanagan.

My biggest concern is EU regulation over-reach threatening my family livelihood and heritage. Fitzmaurice and Punch understand this and are able operators.

Previously I voted for Ming, and despite comments on here, he has done good work on a fairer distribution of Common Agricultural Policy funds. While not solely responsible for this effort, he has made important contributions. I held my nose as regards some of his views and his relationship with wallace and daly.

Now that the rubber has met the road with the russian invasion of Ukraine, having had it out with him privately and publicly we are holding positions at odds with each other. The other major reason I won't vote for him this election is his support of EU policies such as the Nature Restoration Law. The NRL is from my pov as a farmer a land grab clothed in a cosy title. Farmers have had previous experience of "benevolent" policies like Natura2000, and I may invoke the George W. Bush fool me once quote here.

Prior to that I would have been an FG voter. However both FG & FF have enabled the Green Party to go into Government and enact their policies which massively affect my business.

There are no parties which I have voted for in the past that did not contain personalities or policies I didn't like or agree with. I have no illusions Independent Ireland will be different in that regard. But I believe in voting, so to quote a line from Master and Commander "One must always choose the lesser of two weevils".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Scar001

Michael McNamara No1.

And stop at that.

Then head for a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your political hero was only ever able to get elected in "these elections" and would have been irrelevant otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

As I have said on other threads it is marvellous how often we are being told, often by those supposedly independent of party allegiance, that voting for independents or any of these new conveniently labelled fascist type parties is of no use.

In locals it is because it appears only established party connected politicians can do a job for you, whereas at the same time they have absolutely no influence on major policies which are set at national level so they shouldn't be lumped in with party's TDs.

Which is it, they have influence with state and government or they don't?

BTW if they have influence then they are also at fault for a lot of the current mess.

Now with Euros we are getting a similar slant that voting for independents and non established party candidates is of no use since they will do nothing as opposed to the connected party ones, but they are not connected at all when it comes to represent Irish peoples interests either at national or EU level.

Again which is it, have they influence or not?

It is considered stupid by some to vote for these independents, but not at all considered stupid to continue to vote for the established party candidates that are not now representing the views of a sizable chunk of the people whether that is locally or in Euro.

Lads ye are engaging in some amount of mental gymnastics to try con the electorate.

And it is patently obvious it is squeaky bum time for ye.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

This isn't solely directed at you, but anyone only voting for 1 or 2 preferences is a mostly wasted vote. If you do not vote most or fully down the ballot, your vote is not having the full influence it could.

It could be the difference between the candidates you don't like being elected or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

In this exact example it may not be a wasted vote as it's quite possible that McNamara will either get elected to the final seat or will be the last candidate eliminated meaning lower order preferences never come into play.

I get what you are saying though. If someone were to instead give their #1 preference to the National Party candidate and leave it at that then yes that would be a total waste of their lower order preferences that would certainly have been activated had they made them.

Personally, I always give everyone a preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The truest form of protest vote would be to spoil it.

Independents are something of a protest vote as they are non-aligned (in theory) and at local level they can actually make a difference, more so than at national or European.

As the main opposition party, SF would make sense as they are more likely to actually get people in and, therefore, the protest vote would actually serve a purpose.

Voting for tiny extreme parties is not a smart protest; you are endorsing their policies and only encouraging them.

Anyone expecting party members to do anything other than what HQ wants are only kidding themselves, especially in the case of FF and FG. We've had a hundred years and know exactly what the story is with them both.

All this talk about politicians being out of touch with their constituents is quite an exaggeration, simply because they keep getting voted in. They are the ones your neighbours are choosing. You'd be better off trying to influence them over the politicians. To suggest politicians who have reached the quota don't represent the public is to suggest something improper is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I bought a house last year and forgot to update the registrar, so my first choice of Independents has now changed to Fianna Fail who i know personally.

Come the "real" elections it'll probably be either Independent or Sinn Fein

It's not a mostly wasted vote at all. I've been voting for a long time and the furthest I've ever gone down a ballot paper is 4 but for the most part I vote 1 and 2. I never have and never will vote for anyone representing FF or FG and I wouldn't vote for the array of new parties from the outwardly racist right to the 'concerned' about migration types in Fitzmaurice's vehicle so giving them nothing is influencing the outcome as they can't benefit from my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If a constituency is 4 or 5 seater and you only cast 3 preferences, you are wasting the full potential of your vote.

You can try to rationalise it any way you want but when you have no more transfers even though there are still candidates in the running, other people's votes are having more of a say in who does and doesn't get elected than your vote is.

It could be the difference between an independent getting elected or a FF/FG candidate

You have three days to update still, can be done entirely online

https://checktheregister.ie/en-IE/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Midlands North West won't go too well for the Soc Dems, Lab or the Greens.

Rural voters don't like that crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Hard to understand how someone could vote for Daley or Wallace , pair of quisling traitors to their country. 100 years ago we would be debating if they should be hung or shot

ming is a novelty act that ended up in europe after the people of galway got sick of the bag of weed off him and wanted rid ,

remember when he used to be on rte panel shows giggling away to him self stoned and saying nothing ?

'Traitors', 'shot', 'hung'...interesting in the current environment to be agitating for violence against democratically elected politicians you disagree with but then again you seem to have a penchant for violence if I remember your comments in the George Nkencho discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭mikethecop

you must be very sensitive if that triggered you lol its a very valid historical reference to traitors like those two actual literal convicted criminals and current putin/al assad mouth pieces

consorting with dictators and terrorists is a poor way or representing the irish people

clarify what you mean about other threads please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Who do rural voters like, out of interest?

Farmers get plenty of subsidies from the current govt which makes alot of unviable businesses sustainable.

That must be a plus for farmers, although I appreciate not everyone rural works in that industry, of course.

• Advertisement

MNW contains Kildare, Meath, Galway City, Drogheda and Mullingar-Athlone; all of which have been known to vote for left wing non-SF candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The tweet shows what he's been at in Europe.

What has Maria Walsh done? or the Sinn Fein MEP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

So instead of showing what he has done, which is nothing since he got elected, it’s the old “well what have they done”

The guys was voted in as a joke and now likes the free money, trying to say he has achieved anything since his election to anything is questionable IMO, you can of course disagree

But a tweet from himself isn’t proof, yesterday I tweeted I went to the moon, is it true? 😂😂

I notice you haven't answered the question though....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

because it’s whataboutery

The question was what has Ming achieved, I think we can agree the answer is nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

The NP are a joke. If you’re of that bent vote for one of the other nationalist parties such as the Irish Freedom Party, Ireland First, The Irish People or an independent of that bent. Giving a second or third preference to FFG in that case is idiotic. Might as well vote FFG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Here in Tipperary Independents will do well, We have some brilliant hard working Candidates from FG who have helped us.

The FF candidates are absolutely woeful & couldn’t care less about any problem’s i found.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

I’ll never understand this mentality, it takes less than 5 minutes to vote. If you’re really that unhappy go in and give your no 1 vote for the most extreme candidate on the ballot and no other preferences. If you don’t vote your essentially voting for the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Soc_Alt

I will probably be voting for independents in european and local elections.

• Advertisement

Ming doing well in the opinion polls

https://x.com/caulmick/status/1791726034410205687

Advertisement