Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Party

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They're dangerous clowns though. Scapegoating people, inciting riots, stiring up hated by spreading xenophobic lies - you can't really suggesting laughing at this or not taking it seriously.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• As bad as many National Party members are, they've never murdered anyone.

However, they at least shine a light on an important issue — namely, murders recently committed by immigrants in this country. That is not a non-issue, however much I disagree with how they react (such as the Dublin riots). We had the homophobic Sligo murders; we had the senseless murder of Aisling Murphy; and we had the crazed attempted murders of children on Parnell Street (all in the space of 2-3 years).

Again, I disagree with their promotion of rioting, but the issue itself is not a non-issue.

It's a legitimate issue and no other political party are speaking about it. Instead, the issue gets quietly ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

And how is these people attacking canvassers and candidates related to immigrants committing murder?

I'll save you the further whataboutery: it's not.

• Clearly attacks on election candidates is unacceptable and beyond the pale. I don't know whether those committing these attacks are members of the National Party, or whether they are just scumbags intent on causing harm (or perhaps a combination of both).

But if we are claiming to care about violence — which is a legitimate issue to be concerned about — then that must also apply to the murders I've talked about, as well as the source of those murders. That is what many National Party members speak about.

The shame, for me at least, is that no other reasonable party is speaking about it. It's left to fester in the National Party and the party will only grow if this issue continues to go ignored by mainstream parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

As bad as many National Party members are, they've never murdered anyone.

This honestly reads as though you're defending their antics - unless they actually kill someone.

The rest of your post is blame-shifting: the immigrants did this and that, so…. (shurgs shoulders)

You can't call them "clowns" and justifty their actions in the same breath.

• Advertisement

Clearly, you're trying to pull the conversation in a different direction.

You began by trying to downplay the threat of groups such as the NP. When pointed out that, in spite of their low numbers, politicians and canvassers have been targeted by people with similar beliefs, a sign that these types DO represent a real threat, you then tried to bring in violence committed by immigrants.

That is not the debate. There are plenty of other threads where you can bring up violence committed by immigrants. This one is about the National Party and a tangent that emerged was violence by committed by those with similar beliefs while you try to convince others these types are not a threat. The evidence suggests otherwise; even in small numbers, they are.

• My point was to say that the National Party are at least talking about a legitimate issue in a way that no other mainstream party is - and that's a mistake.

They shouldn't be allowed to own that topic.

No they're not - I'd be a lot more understanding if they just "talked" about the issue.

Also, you're defneding them again, despite aparently seeing them as "clowns".

• It's the inconsistency that's glaring.

When that man tried to murder children on Parnell Street, the National Party used that as a means of promoting the anger and rioting in response. As a consequence of which, the National Party is condemned.

When George Floyd was murdered in cold blood, BLM and other far-left organisations promoted riots on a much larger scale across the US - and these organisations are held in the highest esteem.

Here's my point: when it comes to far-left induced rioting it's welcomed, when the far-right do it, it's condemned.

That hypocrisy is palpable.

I despise both forms. I'm consistent.

Woah woah woah - attacking immigrants didn't work and attacking the far-left won't either. This is nothing to do with BLM or George Floyd and you know it, so quit the deflecting.

And for the love of Christ, can you stop defending the far-right using violence or at least come out and say you support the National Party? Because everything you said since you called them "clowns" has been either been whataboutery or thinly-veiled support.

• Advertisement

• I don't support the National Party, and I never would. Nor do I support or defend violence.

I am simply adding nuance to this discussion. Whilst we have many legitimate reasons to criticise the National Party, we cannot invent reasons out of thin air. Only yesterday two claims were made which had no basis in evidence. I was condemned for just asking for the evidence.

Second to that, it's absolutely relevant to point out inconsistencies i.e. my point about how rioting is considered bad only if one side engages in it (the side you happen to disagree with). In the context of the US example I gave, the rioting was framed as "protests" and a "movement".

It goes back to the Orwell article I cited yesterday, how events can be framed as positive or negative depending on our own political persuasion.

You're muddying the waters. Your claim from the beginning was they (or groups of their ilk) are too insignificant to pose a threat. This was shown not to be the case.

So you shifted to violence committed by immigrants and now you're on to both-sidesing, all because your insistence that these fringe groups do not represent a threat was proven to be untrue. It has sweet **** all to do with nuance.

• It depends what you mean by "pose a threat".

In party terms, the National Party do not pose a threat to this country. Its leader barely scraped together 1% in the 2022 General Election. Its candidates regularly perform worse elsewhere. As an electoral force, they are about as weak as you could come by. That isn't going to change anytime soon. Yesterday the claim was made that support for the National Party "was rising", but there is no evidence to substantiate this claim. So yes, I stand by my claim that they do not pose a threat.

Is it true that some on the far-right opt for violence and aggression? For sure, that is undoubtedly true. It always has been true.

But it's such a tiny fraction of overall crime committed in this country that it shouldn't be amplified as if we were dealing with a serious, ongoing terrorist threat. In this wider context then, let's not disproportionately exaggerate the crime that this relatively small number of thugs commit — as wrong as that crime is and always will be.

I'm far more concerned at the growing number of assaults that have increased across the entire population. That is where our attention should be if we are concerned about crime in this country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The idea that we should ignore the NP because they're not going to win an election is just another tired old trope used to shut down criticism of them. Right wing extremism is the most dangerous form and is responsible for more deaths than Isalmic extremism or left wing extremism.

From The Economist:

Here in the UK, MP Jo Cox was murdered on the same day that Nigel Farage posed with this:

The National Party, Barrett & co are just Farage minus the suit and fake news show. This doesn't mean that they are not dangerous. Quite the opposite.

Until they attain power, intimidation and violence will be their MO. We've seen TDs and activists getting attacked by them already and the far right aren't even pretending to duck responsibility any more.

This is the 21st century variant of fascism. There's no two ways about it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Again with the shifting goalposts.

In terms of politics-based violence, do the far-right represent a threat? Yes, disproportionately so given their low numbers.

Different argument: that was the definition of fascism and whether or not the National Party justified the label.

This one is about the use of violence and xenophobic scaremongering by their members, which you justfied by saying "they haven't murdered anyone" as if everything else was ok; then by blaming immigrants for being the targets, and finally by saying that if the BLM in the US could do it then so could they.

You can voice concerns about immigration without doing ANY of this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

By the way, anybody interested in defining fascism will enjoy this short book:

Do not buy the butchered Kindle version. Seriously, don't.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭lmao10

Good post You're showing how hard it is to get a reasonable discussion with these types without them resorting to bad faith stuff and going off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

What an absolutely scummy post.

You wouldn't be waffling about far-right violence being insignificant if you were a person at risk of attack walking down the street just because of the colour of your skin.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

• Only yesterday you agreed with me that the National Party were not fascist.

On this point:

…as if everything else is okay

I didn't say any far-right crime was justified. You cannot put words into other people's mouths.

Far from it, I excogitated the reasons why I believed we shouldn't exaggerate the crime committed by a small number of far-right thugs. It exists, it's wrong, but let's not get carried away as if it's an existential threat to the country — because it isn't.

Dublin city centre today is far more dangerous because of many other thugs, but not because of the National Party or the far-right — and this was before the Dublin riots.

Nobody outside social media / online fora even consider the National Party a threat in their day to day lives. But those other marauding thugs that amplify crime in the city are far more in the forefront of people's considerations, and rightly so.

Scrap the cap!

• Nobody denied that or argued against it. You're attacking a straw man.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I find the contrast between this post and your signature jarring. Normally the irony would make me chuckle, but I don’t find fascists that amusing.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Me saying the NP is not fascist does not challenge the point you replied to .

The violence - regardless of who is carrying it out - is very much a threat for reasons given plenty of times already in this thread. You say in the post above that "no one is denying [that the NP have attacked people and continue to do so] - so why is it only "a small group of far-right thugs" here?

Can we then conclude that you agree that the NP is therefore a small group of far-right thugs and HAVE commited violence and continue to do so?

Finally, I'd argue that the riots that were called for last November and the intimidation used on politicians coming out of the Dail not long before this is most certainly an existential thread to the country.

You literally said "Nobody outside social media / online fora even consider the National Party a threat in their day to day lives."

So which is it?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is it REALLY a legitimate issue though, in the absence of shining any light on homophobic attacks by far right groups, senseless murders and assaults of vulnerable women, crazed actual murders and attempted murders of children - hundreds of such incidents, all in the space of 2-3 years.

Is it REALLY legitimate to cherry pick a tiny number of such incidents into order to 'shine a light' solely on people with dark skin, and ignore the large number of such incidents committed by white Irish people?

Nah, it's not legitimate, not in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There's an awful lot of this shite going on from the NP defenders on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Oxo Moran

All the Gript media movement, which copies Fox and Breitbart, is roundly supported by numerous bot accounts.

We have a few fooled into working for conservative catholic right wingers who want a hard partition border. It's no accident that Sinn Fein are a bigger target than Fine Gael. Their paymasters would much prefer to hold their nose to a Fine Gael government over a Sinn Fein one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You're attacking a straw man.

One that you have built.

You tell us they aren't "really" fascists

You tell us they aren't "really" an issue because no one votes for them

And you spend days on end throwing up one excuse and deflection after another to support your view that they "really" don't matter.

THEN

You tell us they are the only ones bringing up the horror of foreigners doing bad things and that everyone should be talking about it , but apparently aren't.

The strawman here is your convoluted contrived efforts to downplay/stop people talking about the obvious risks posed by the National Party and those of similar persuasions .

Advertisement