Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meanwhile on the Roads...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭Ryath

Had it couple of weeks ago on a solo spin drizzly day. Had pulsing rear light and jacket on that has a yellow back and loads of reflective strips. 80k R road but wide, coming up to a slight bend with a dip in the road.

Car coming from behind and I could hear he wasn't slowing. Just caught site of an oncoming car and stuck out my arm. Could hear him locking up and ABS chirping. Was full sure he was going into the back of me. In fairness they did stop well short but if they had gone for it he was definitely hitting the oncoming car or pulling back into me.

Two other needlessly close passes on straight sections that day and another overtake with an oncoming motorcyclist where the pulled back in front of me with 2 foot to spare. Start of a 50 zone and just before a bend. I really should invest in a Varia Radar and camera. Was really hoping the new Cycliq would have radar, hopefully the new varia with camera isn't too far off release.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I was cycling yesterday with my daughter on a narrow road without a cycle lane in south Dublin. Lady goes to overtake heading into a junction and a car turns into the road and she is now heading straight for it, hits the brakes and veers in on top of us. I shout "what the f*** are you doing" or words to that effect. Moments later she goes flying past again and beeps her horn at us, frightening my daughter, as if her reckless driving is somehow our fault. We caught up to her at the next set of lights at which point I let her have it. I was absolutely seething! I wish this was a one off but it happens regularly. Cars trying to get past on busy suburban roads, it's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dublin-airport-warns-passengers-of-severe-m50-delays-following-serious-crash/a48488910.html

Sounds bad, hopefully no serious injuries.

EDIT: I'm editing my post as it seems there's been a fatality and this is not the time/ place to bicker. Tragic news if true.

Post edited by Paddigol on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think we can assume a fatality if it's closed for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭traco

Unfortunatly yes as I have heard from someone that was in traffic and first on the scene. He isn't the better of it.

RIP to the remaining family and also tragic for others involved. I won't comment on the details as I am sure there will be an investigation to clarify exactly what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Hard to know but not necessarily. I was cycling in along the north quays in Dublin city centre yesterday morning at 06:30 and there was a large garda presence with one of the bridges cordoned off and a large section of the south quays across the river closed entirely with squad cars on each junction and a lot of garda tape. I presumed it was some sort of gangland shooting so had a search to find that it was a taxi driver and e-scooter rider crash that occurred at approximately 03:30. Whole section of the city centre was closed until 08:30 (5hrs) with ensuing traffic chaos. The news at time advised the e-scooter rider had been taken to hospital with serious injuries but thankfully no fatality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Google maps says from Rathfarnham it is a 1 hour 35 minute drive to Dublin airport, too cycle it's 1 hour 8 minutes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looking at the likes of Twitter, the amount of moany f**ks giving out because their commute took 90 minutes or whatever because the gardai haven't reopened the M50.
    FFS, someone isn't going home this evening and theyre worked up about a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Agreed!

It is twitter so hardly a good snapshot of society as a whole. A platform for venting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭zell12

An RTC on the M50 has gridlocked Dublin City entirely!

“All lanes have closed northbound at J7 Lucan due to a serious collision before J6 Blanch. Emergency services are on scene diverting traffic off at J7. Please avoid the area if possible.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

90 mins if you're lucky.

The problem is not that it took that amount of time, it's that road traffic management has been so poorly managed and changed in Dublin in the last 5 years that people are going nuts. Everyone's noticed it. I avoid driving my car now where ever possible as it's just gone beyond appalling.

Obviously they want dissuade cars from going into the city centre and have put controls in place to try and make this happen. But the issue now is that the busiest Road in the country is now a SPOF. If anything happens it at all, the city grinds to a halt. And it's not just cars that are affected, It's buses, cyclists, taxis, pedestrians, commercial vehicles etc which all have fair reason to be in the city centre.

What irritates people more is that no politician cares about the motorist, so people feel they're not being listened to and hence you get all this sh!te on social media.

My condolences to the family of that person.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Some of them probably live tweeting while driving too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ah feck that. So much money has gone into road infrastructure over the years to the detrimental of everything else. We've hit a limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I don't get that complaint… pretty much 99.99% of politicians are motorists. Are you suggesting they don't care about themselves? There is no 'motorist' group. 'Motorists' are also left wing, right wing, pro-choice, pro-life, anti-immigrant, welcoming of immigrants, upper class, working class, middle class, unemployed, public service, accountants, finance managers… If you put a cross section of motorists in a room we wouldn't agree on anything.

How may of them commute themselves though during rush hour in a car? probably very little.

No one cares, like I am technically a motorist, and it bugs me the traffic is so bad, but I've just learned to accept the roads are always gonna be crap so just don't bother going anywhere unless you're leaving at 6am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's gas the way there's a shrug of the shoulders if motorists don't surrender their driving license in a Garda station or what have you. But if they do something unrelated to road safety yet use the road incorrectly...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Alot of their Dublin voters do, so they at the very least will pretend to care, and probably do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's gas the way press reports for these particular convictions never name the people convicted, unlike every other press report for traffic issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's a civil offence rather than a criminal one AFAIK, which may be the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don't think so - from the article;

Two defendants showed up to plead guilty, and because of that, Judge Halpin ordered them to pay €350 in fines and costs. He also said that ended the criminal prosecution, but the motorway operator could still seek to resolve the amount owed for the unpaid tolls.

I don't even think they pretend to, unless they're a nutter.

Like the Future of Dublin is light rail/trams and to a degree cycling (It's not for everyone), there's been a commitment made to some degree by all the major parties that, that's the way forward.

Dublin roads (Particularly over the south side) are narrow, you can't even get one Bus Lane on a lot of them. A Bus Lane and a cycle lane is far more efficient than allowing cars to use it too, everyone recognises that, including the people who might live on or near those type of roads and have cars, but very few are will to accept that solution.

TII needs to plan, and I mean REALLY plan for infra. Like if a house comes of for sale on a congested narrow road with no bus lane they should buy it and let a rent management company rent it out for the next X years, while they slowly attempt to acquire the bulk of the property on the road, once they have enough, they can then make the changes they need (knock the property or reduce garden space) to make room for Bus lanes, trams lines or Bicycle lanes.

It's a slow process but also one that's painless and will have little or no friction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Traffic in Dublin was atrocious this morning. I think it's now worse than pre-Covid so all the benefit from having lots of people WFH has been wiped out. I think that this is partially because some people who might previously commuted by public transport have though "I'm only in 2 days a week, **** it, I'll drive". The lack of a part-time taxsaver ticket encourages this.

It's depressing to look at all the buses full of people stuck in lines of traffic and 90% of the cars have one person in them. In the past I've been sceptical of car pooling as an idea but maybe it's time to ban cars with less than 2 people in them from crossing the canals? Bit of high profile random enforcement at entry points to the city centre. Or maybe only odd numbered plates allowed in one week and even numbered the next, enforced by camera?

IBEC were in the news yesterday asking for the relatively minor traffic changes proposed for August to be postponed - they have no alternative suggestions, just leave things as they are. Muppets. We need radical change, and proper enforcement.

100%, I am moving to a 2 day at home week and the only benefit to the tax saver going forward will be not having to think about it when my days change and booking tickets. Not sure how a part time would work though, give you X amount of trips per week. or even just the ability to put it against your tax at the end of the year might be the only justifiable way to do it.

the loss of the benefit of the taxsaver has been somewhat mitigated by it (should) only cost €4 a day to get into and home from work for most people in dublin.

for someone in that situation, they're spending €400 a year on PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

One of my team lives just outside the outer dublin zone reckoned 3 days a week was the cut off for it being worthwhile. The amount of private cars I see in bus lanes on my commutes is ridiculous, and they're inevitably make it more dangerous for the people on bicycles as they're generally all round nobhead drivers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

true, I think it's probably people outside the pale who may find it cheaper to drive into the city (assuming you already have a car, which in the commuter belt, you generally would)

Alot of people around me drive until they hit heavy traffic and then pull in, pull a bike out of the boot which I am sure annoys locals but seems reasonable for everyone. Traffic reaches the level they tolerate, they get exercise and it's cheaper than parking/driving the whole way. I get the train from the country so under 3 days travel it costs more but I have to pre-book to get better rates so the taxsaver, on the basis my days from home vary is still economically and mentally more viable. After tax it's €2000 a year which is still exceptional value considering a fortnight's travel is cheaper than one days petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Lovely morning for a spin. Approaching the Phoenix monument roundabout in the Park. Cycle lane merges with road so checking over my shoulder and signalling I'll be moving out. Car arrives beside me and I can see both hands holding the phone at the bottom of the steering wheel, txting away. I wave my hand to get her attention, she looks up and immediately brakes and drops the phone into her lap. Pauses for .5 of a second and then looses her ****, sticking up the fingers, screaming and beeping the horn. Follows me through the roundabout and out the other side shouting away. I lied and told her she was on camera at which point she moved off.

Let myself down by returning the hand gesture and never thought to get the plate number. Probably wouldn't have mattered without video evidence of her txting anyway. Was being passed by Garda traffic cars / bikes all morning. Typical luck that there wasn't one handy that I could have flagged down :)

Every week some road user manages to give me a scare. I wasn't in any danger here because I was watching out for poor driving, but the Park is full of tourists / school trips on bikes at this time of year and their road sense is poor at the best of times. I just can't get my head around why people don't think of others safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I think it's people's attention spans are gone to absolute s##t these days. And when they are paying attention they've got no patience. Cycling demands a certain level of being present and awareness to the dangers all around you but driving however is too comfortable too easy to be distracted. Drivers are just too complacent now, the road and everything going on on it is just another distraction or hindrance to them.

Advertisement