Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭fafy

True to a point, and it is the case for many, but it depends on your setup and the size, where zero electricity bills over a 12 month period, can actually become a reality.

There were just shy of 1,000 ID3’s registered from Jan to August 2021, with 340 being registered in July 2021 alone, which was the highest ID3 sales month of the model, the key question is, how many of those, will keep the car, with the 3 warranty ended, and is not extendable. I’d take a guess, that a high proportion of those are either PCP or company cars, there could be some bargains available if there is a big offload.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,563 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

I was on the phone to a VW main dealer to make a viewing appt to look at the few ID.3’s for sale there.
    Asked the salesman about the different HP’s (145 vs 204) in relation to ICE cars, couldn’t tell me the difference in terms of power or performance, and when I asked about the battery, told me I’d be better off with the smaller battery size, because the bigger one is heavier and so wouldn’t have as much range! 🤔🤷

It’ll be an interesting test drive tomorrow, I’m likely to come back as confused when I come back as when before I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭electricus

Most car salesmen know very little about EVs are are likely to spout whatever BS they think they can get away with. The bigger battery version is about 100kg heavier, for about 100km extra range.

https://ev-database.org/car/1531/Volkswagen-ID3-Pro

https://ev-database.org/car/1534/Volkswagen-ID3-Pro-S---5-Seats

The extra weight means that the 5 seat version of the Pro S 77kWh (Tour 5) isn't approved for the bike rack (there's also a 4 seat Tour).

I have the 204hp version which feels quick (to me) but have never driven the 174 . The lighter 58kWh version (204) feels even quicker.

edit: typos

Post edited by electricus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

they are mostly clueless. Take everything they say with a pinch of salt. And consider buying privately a car still in warranty. It’ll save you a few grand. There’s no real advantage to buying used from a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

To be honest I’m probably only going there to have a test drive of the car, to see if we like it. It’s the first port of call on the EV journey.

That weight issue will be rectified in the 5 seater ID3 GTX version, they made some design changes, its mentioned on one of the GTX reviews.

I saw that, and the updated 5 seat pro s version too. It looks like a combination of a stronger rear axel and a lighter battery pack.

yes, forgot about this applies to Pro S also, well spotted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I’d argue that a Golf has a more upmarket interior, an ID.3 definitely has better legroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

My Id.3 is gone a week, handed it back to VW finance, only way I could get rid of it, no additional milage penalty despite already being about 20,000 Kms over the limit.

Absolutely no dealer would take it, not even the VW dealer where I got it, they said they have too many electric cars new and 2nd hand and can't sell them, all the other dealers said they won't take EV as trade in.

The finance company said there are a lot of people handing back their id cars, I was told this by more than 1 person in the finance company.

I was offered 11-15 K max from the many dealers I contacted and decided to hand it back under the half rule, I had approximately 20,900 left to pay and no charge for additional mileage.

VW finance were great to deal with and God bless that half rule !

Anyway, I will get the train from Carlow - Dublin in a while and pick up a 2020 Kia Cee'd 1.0L Turbo Petrol Manual with 27,000 Kms, I had test driven it and the i30 a few weeks ago and a Kia Stonic and loved them. The much lighter cars were so much nicer to drive and instantly noticeable.

19,500 is the cost of the Cee'd, a far more sensible sum to spend on a car and I love the fact it's far more basic with less tech and not dependent on software and screens, never again, I love the interior too and the analogue instrument cluster and I really forgot how good it is to drive a petrol manual after so long !

After 9 years EV driving, it's the end of the road for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Why did you get rid of the EV? Seems an odd choice to buy a lower spec car for about the same price you could have refinanced the ID3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Has to be the daftest move in history, the shine will soon wear off after the first few of many visits to the petrol pumps. Petrol manual are an absolute pain in the hole to drive especially around town, you'll have a pain in your bollox changing gears. At least with an EV you had the option to fix your fuel costs on a yearly basis, with this car you're at the mercy of every little ripple in the market. Did you get a loan to buy the Kia? I had a 1 litre manual VW Taigo for 2 days when my car was being repaired, a truly horrible yoke I had to put €20 petrol into it when I returned it. €20 gives me more than 2 weeks driving in my EV.

That sounds strange, I’ve been looking around recently and have been offered 24-25k trade in for my Tour5. I’ve been looking at other EVs so maybe that makes a difference.

Anyway, all the best with your new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I also hope you haven't made a mistake MadLad. I remember you saying you commute daily, with free charging sometimes at work place. The Petrol 1L is unlikely to be economical unless driven with care. And price to buy second hand you will save little if anything.

Wishing you the best for the future and hoping you still show up here..

Omg you’re absolutely mad! You could have kept a much nicer car.

Highest offer I got was 20k. Stopped looking after that. I’d say we will keep ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lol, history repeats…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

With about 20k you could have bought i3 120 Ah, or a 94 Ah with REX with money to spare. Or haggle hard with a dealer with lots of stock of unwanted ID.3. And that's just the models that you already know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

One of the more bonkers moves made on boards! But each to their own

• sounds like @Mad_Lad had no choice, either see out the i3 term with big mileage and owe money at the end because of the penalty or get out now. I suppose that’s the risk you take when you take on too much leverage. At each roll over you are just kicking the problem down the road making it worse, at least madman recognised this and faced up to it and did the adult situation and right sized the fleet to match budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Had he bought a 3k car I could see your angle but sinking the guts of 20k into a petrol Kia is also kicking the can down the road as no dealer will want it in 3 years time. The least he could have done was buy a car that someone might be interested in, Golf, Focus etc.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

I just don't understand.......…

• actually just reread the post, it’s a 4.5 year old 1ltr 3cyl c’eed for €20k, maybe not such a sensible choice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It's the second if not third time he's done the same thing though. And I'm in the same boat, 3yr PCP ends in August. I was offered just shy of €20k so I have no clue how he's being offered as low as €11k.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Absolutely no interest in the car or EV any more to be honest, been there, done that, the excitement has well and truly worn off.

The petrol Kia is far more enjoyable to drive, far nicer interior and the whole point is as less tech and kit possible to go wrong if I keep it long term.

The infotainment in the id3 is a disaster and it really drove me nuts particularly when it locks up and crashes, the final straw was a couple of weeks ago coming down from work it all locked up again, I had no speedo, no access to climate, radio nothing, even the indicator clickers weren't clicking.

I really can't be bothered keeping it beyond warranty because it's loaded with so much tech that if something goes wrong out of warranty it will be incredibly expensive to fix or it could even be off the road for weeks or even months.

Either way, I didn't want to keep it, not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Possibly 20k to roll into another PCP v 11k to just sell it to garage?

It does seem extraordinarily low though

• Advertisement

It's got to the stage with electric cars that if they offered me a free one I wouldn't drive one, the Kia EV 6 was awful to drive, no feedback from steering and over priced, far too heavy to be in any way enjoyable.

5.3 L/100 Km wasn't too shabby over the 70 Km trip home and 120 all the way from Naas, that's fine for me. That's 53.3 Imp Mpg. Nice low end torque in it too.

Thanks for the best wishes !

I'll be around.

Advertisement