Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing plants ideas

Options
  • 08-05-2024 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for ideas to cover a wall and tank in backyard, no thorns, plants that flower and are fast growing?

Post edited by Ella108 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Ivy would be one of the most reliable climbers to provide cover, being evergreen but the flowers are a bit inconspicuous. One of the variegated types would provide a bit more colour than the green leaved types. If you want better flowers then something like honeysuckle might be an idea but it does loose its leaves in winter. If it is a sheltered site then Solanum crispum might be an option.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Two honesuckles that I have are evergreen and vigorous, winter flowering, much prefer them to ivy which is much too invasive and damaging. My experience has been that solanum alba is tender, but solanum crispum is completely hardy. Climbing hydrangea is another option, a bit slow to get going but vigorous when established.

I would be helpful to know which way the wall and tank faces, how much sun does it get?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ella108

Thanks, the wall and the tank faces south. Ivy and Virginia creepers have creeped in from neighbours garden and I just love how green they are but not sure how fast they'll grow so far half the wall looks bare and tank is exposed, we've got honeysuckle on other side and I was thinking of clematis variety. Solanum crispum- I had a quick Google and love the flowers! Thanks everyone for the ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I think you can get an evergreen jasmine. Flowering for the summer. You would need to look up which variety suits your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

Russian Vine (aka Mile a minute)? We had one at the bottom of our last garden to cover a shed wall. Not the prettiest climber but 'vigorous'' is a good description.

Your Virginia creeper will probably cover the wall nicely before too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Most varieties of Passiflora will cover a south facing wall pretty quickly, have amazing flowers and will keep their leaves over winter.

I'd take a look at them, they flower from July to Nov.

Thanks, I think that's the one I'll go for as well to cover the walls. I have seen those available in local garden centre as potted plants ,and it seems like theyll be a good addition thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone know if all varieties of ivy are meant to cling to the wall. I got a ivy plant and the branches aren't clinging.

I had never noticed but maybe its like climbing hydrangea and needs to be a couple of years old before the clinging stems appear?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭galaxy12

Wisteria if you have the space and can control it .Clematis or jasmine

• Advertisement

If you get wisteria get Japanese Wisteria - Wisteria floribunda, better flowers and not so madly vigorous as Wisteria Sinensis - Chinese wisteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

I planted a €5 passiflora from lidl a few years ago, alongside 4 or 5 other climbers. The others all died, but the passionflower would conquer the world - it grows and grows and grows, and covers the entire area. Flowers are stunning. But it needs to be tied up and back every few months, and doesn't seem to "cling" that well (i use wire nailed into the wall and keep having to have a go at it with small plastic cable ties to keep it in and up). I also find the leaves a bit stinky in a weird way, and wouldn't recommend it right beside patio seating. Thinking I might get rid. But I do like the flowers, as do the insects - they look pre-historic, or like something a 4 year old would draw, and it flowers a lot.

I also planted a few Star Jasmine plants along an opposite wall a few years later (i was looking for californian lilac but the shop persuaded me to go for star jasmine). Some have thrived, very good climber against trellis (clings and goes up and in naturally, no need to tie back at all), nice leaves, and lovely flower and really lovely scent. Really really happy with it so far.

Thanks, and the jasmine has a lovely, fragrance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭standardg60

Only the new growth clings, the existing branches won't, so place them against the wall.

Its a young plant I planted a year ago and the growth is not clinging.

Hi

See the attached image. I have hooks keeping the branches beside the wall.

Looks good, just leave it be and it will cling when it takes the notion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Bignonia has lovely orange trumpet-like flowers and grows very quickly. It's pretty tough, too.

Advertisement