Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland - now considered one of most vulnerable countries in the EU (defense wise)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yep. Reverting to type. Ok to attack the French for doing it to them but then they do the same to us!

We don't have a defense force more of a local militia. Any force worthy of the name would have at least some examples of modern weaponry in its arsenal if not for any reason but to develop counter measures against them. It also would also have the independent means of early detection.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Sadly no, I was under the same impression as you until I started reading about thhe histroy of money.

Germany itself not Hitler, was attacked as soon as the govt issued its own currency. Im sure you know that prior to his rule, the german people were suffering under hyperinflation. Well Hitler literally put a stop to that by creating a new currency debt free. Thus Germany prospered while the rest of western world ate shoe leather.

Hitler had good relations with Chamberlain, but when the owners of the Private Central Bank (guess the name) wanted him gone they bankrolled Churchill's political campaign (he was flat broke, and had significant debts) under the agreement that he get the Americans to help overthrow Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Did you research this information yourself by any chance?😂

Someone said earlier that those who wish the country to have a reasonable defense force are fantasists. Really? I would say that those who wrap themselves with a neutrality banner are utter fantasists. Neutrality on it's own won't protect any country as history shows.

As for someone else to come to our defense. Well you expect their people to send their sons to possible death but you won't?

Post edited by saabsaab on

• Advertisement

No I read it in books on the modern financial system, as I am not a primary source. Where did you educate yourself? Hollywood movies?

You know folks, if you think Ireland doesn't need to defend itself from private central banks, i suggest you ask your teacher's to go on a school tour to Collins barracks and ask about the Anglo Irish Bank sign hanging up there.

In short, not only is our currency under foreign control but now Ireland's natural resources are too. Oil, Gas and water!

Post edited by purifol0 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Theres no one they need to come to our aid against

Except fantasy

Pie in the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭20silkcut

….

By not having a credible defense it makes it far less likely to be a fantasy.

• Advertisement

It's fantasy currently with no defense

The best threat someone has come up with is Hitler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Whats up here? No doubt pass our way .. but shur we wont know anyway

A large group of Russian warships have left the Russian base in Tartus, Syria and are heading north of Portugal.

6 ships: 2 x corvettes, 2 x assault ships, 1 intelligence and one tanker.

Heads up Baltics! (unknown to me if that is the destination, but possible to likely)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

The ultimate spin ..

The strength of the Irish Naval Service has fallen to a new low of 722, official figures show.

The figure suggests the staffing crisis in the Naval Service could be levelling off and is just three fewer than in 2023.

Russian ships pass our coast regularly. Tankers etc. who knows what's on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭highpitcheric

course we are. 🙄

As good as the rest of the fiction around the topic of Irish defense I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Ask em do they have any spuds this year's are dog rough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Wrong on both counts. Let’s stop with this defeatist rhetoric which is an excuse to do nothing which we are very good at. As a small nation in western Europe we can contribute a significant amount to NATO’s effort esp. NATO’s defence of its western flank. And as for what NATO can do for us, it is surely high time we stopped expecting our former colonial masters to protect us from external threats 100 years after they left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The problem is the threat from Russia against Ireland is real. ( even though many still refuse to believe it)

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/ireland-considering-purchase-of-jet-fighters/

“The principal reason is that, from a Russian perspective, Ireland is a significant piece on the geopolitical chessboard. Situated between two of Russia’s principal adversaries, the United States and the UK, Ireland lacks the air defence capabilities to deter or defend against such provocative sorties into its airspace. The Russian air force knows that it can approach or even enter Irish airspace with far less immediate and serious consequences than if it did the same to other north Atlantic countries such as Iceland where there is a Nato air policing mission – or Norway, which has a well-resourced air force capable of quickly intercepting suspected incursions.”

Also, another interesting article to read:

https://theweek.com/defence/secret-plan-for-uk-to-protect-irish-skies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

(Speaking as someone who thinks Ireland should invest a lot more in military and bring it to level of comparable smallish EU member states not under military threat)…I don't know if they (Russia) really have this freedom to operate, because the UK is next door and planes will be (and I think regularly are ?) sent up from their bases to check it out when the Russian airforce aircraft are doing something odd with transponders turned off near our West coast.

I suppose this is costly for the UK though, and uses up resources/wastes their time to an extent. The burden on them/their military is probably going to increase in coming years too.

That is probably what is behind the raised focus on the issue (parlous state of our military) in their media, they (and EU countries like France perhaps) want us to step up and cover at least some of it so they don't have to.

Seems UK are willing to accept the loss of control it implies (i.e. in the future, hopefully it might be our radars scanning the sky and our own jets patrolling the airspace, vs today where they control that airspace, and tell us what is going on in it as regards military aircraft etc. as a courtesy/for safety).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭thomil

The one thing that tends to be forgotten in this regard is the fact that, once you get a certain distance away from the Norwegian coast and out over the open Atlantic, you’re out of radar coverage. Radar station range is limited by the curvature of the Earth, even the most powerful radar systems on the Earth are limited by that, unless you go for something exotic like ionosphere-reflecting over-the-horizon radar.

From my understanding, the Russian bombers or MPAs that have been detected recently flew in a matter that would get them spotted. I can definitely see a mission profile that can be flown that would see Russian air assets appear of the Irish coast with limited early warning. This would mean taking off from the Kola peninsula, heading generally in the direction of Svalbard until you’re around 250/300 kilometres away from the coast, before turning southwesterly and heading towards the gap between Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Once you get close to those islands, you’d go down to 2000-4000 meters in order to get below the horizon of any shore-based radar stations there. That’s the last choke point.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lets be clear, covering Irish airspace costs the British armed forces money. It may be the case that the Irish government pays them something for that, but its unlikely we'd ever know what.

So a quite broke Britain Inc will be all too happy to relinquish air policing of Ireland and the Shannon FIR, so long as a positive working relationship exists between the forces in both jurisdictions. And given the eye-watering spend they have to make on their ground forces and Navy in the current geopolitical environment. I think the premierships of Messrs. Harris and Starmer will have that very much in mind too.

I mean its not like NATO naval elements won't still be 12 miles off our coasts engaged in intensive anti-air and anti-submarine combat sea patrols. They already often drop into Cork Harbour for the tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tinytobe

There is one thing we do know about Russia and Putin, there is a logistics problem, from a military point of view.

On the other side, the Russians have been known to want to do military naval exercises in the economic zone of Ireland in the Atlantic ocean. They are also known to get a bit too close to Ireland with submarines, again, Ireland looking for the UK to deterre them.

I don't want to sound too patronizing here, but the Republic of Ireland would be well advised to at least invest in a propper air force, something with fighter jets ( Eurofighters, F16, Saab, something like that and not used ones but new ones). This would be irrrespective on whether Ireland would or should join NATO at some point or not.

As far as I know thare are plans for fighter jets for Ireland, but that is something like 2028 or around that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭highpitcheric

Tough shyte if it costs them money. UK covers our airspace incidentally, while they're covering their own. As a result of nato-rus tensions. (not of our making).

If they want to relinquish their present incidental policing of Irish airspace then they should go ahead. Let the Russians get over the eastern part of the Irish sea before they can respond.

Nobody in nato or UK armed forces is signing off on that risk, so they have to leave it as it is, and can go whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

Ireland gets invaded tomorrow by Russia, you will be fighting and risking life and limb so Bertie Ahern , Leo Varadkar and the rest of the leeches continue to get their pensions paid for by us Tax payers.

Personally I'll surrender day one, zero interest in fighting for those greedy pigs to continue to live the good life.

So the Russians take over and my Taxes pay for their pensions, so not much will change except I'm not not missing a limb and suffering PTSD.

The Government can ask the thousands of single males they are importing if they want to fight for them and see how that goes, see how Irish those new to the parish are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

from a manpower perspective, the entirety of the Irish defence forces, 7,550 active personnel….between the pitch and the stands / terrace they’d all fit into Dalymount Park. That is what we’d have to defend the country. Yes reservists could / would be called up and asked to fight with their mothers cutlery.

That is the reality. So next time you are passing Dalymount or an arena of similar size, that’s all we got. What fits in there… To defend this entire nation.

Shortage of personnel, shortage of artillery, not one single jet fighter, an island nation with less than 10 Navy vessels many of those have been mothballed and not in service…I think 2/3 are active in service in fact… reading conflicting info as regards 2 or 3… but either way, not gonna make a shît bit of difference.

Our defence forces are simply not a defence, in reality their only capabilities would be delaying slightly the inevitable and which they are….an aid to civil power, ohhh and political pawns away doing peacekeeping in Congo, Sierra Leone etc…can’t and won’t defend us from anyone. won’t even delay anything.…

If the Russians rang and said “ we are coming “. We’d be better off opening the door and welcoming them…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Russia aren't going to invade, but this is incredibly stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

Bingo!
    All the talk about Ireland needing to increase its Military to defend the nation is nonsense, who are we defending it from?

Remember Iceland does not have any military at all, no talk about them needing to defend the north Atlantic from hostile forces.

The mouthpieces pushing for increased spending in the media will undoubtably benefit financially, Politicians pushing for it are looking for kickbacks or a job on a board of directors of a arms manufacturer and the Rambo's on boards pushing for it are idiots, so ignore them, live you best life and don't worry about some nonsensical invasion.

Can anyone tell me who is going to attack Ireland?

• Advertisement
Advertisement