Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Offsides are the one thing they should be able to do right with the new system. Talk of 6 inches or a clear gap changes nothing, all you've done is move the line where they have to check. This comes up every time and is a baffling suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Have the automatic offside and each team has a challenge like field hockey "closest sport to football with video refs". If the challenge is successful they keep it if not they lose it stops them questioning everything. Once there is a challenge they have to ask a question that can only be answered Yes/No so its black and white for the VAR to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Then you get an "Henry handball" incident happen after they have used all their challenges and you are right back where you started, with people complaining because life is not fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Watching City is like watching a Boa constrictor suffocate its prey. They just strangle the game against most opponents. Huge preponderance of possession and territory until their opponent makes a mistake. It is inevitable and relentless.

They play a handful of interesting games a year against Liverpool or Madrid and the likes who are able to go toe to toe with them. City play their part in those games being entertaining, make no mistake about it. If pressed high up the pitch and forced to play quick, they absolutely can. But most opponents lack that quality.

I find it beyond tedious watching them pass it around back and around against weaker opposition who can't get a kick. I appreciate the quality of what I'm watching, but it is far from entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

think you’re missing the point of the suggestion - it’s fine that calls would still be close, with a millimeter on or off - what it would fix is that offside becomes a position where you might have actually gained an advantage.

The whole point of offside was always that you were far enough ahead of the defender that it could actually be seen by the linesman’s own eyes - whereas now we have offsides where absolutely no visible advantage was gained. In the past, everyone would have looked at these, even in freeze-frame, and said “yeah that’s level, good goal”. The ‘advantage gained’ part of offside has been lost, so one way of bringing that back would be to move the line to a position visibly in front of the defender.

Yeah there would still be tight millimeter calls, but that’s ok - we’d at least have changed the use of technology to better match the original intent of the law it’s enforcing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ridiculous interpretation of what the poster said tbf.

However, I don't mind saying it still rankles with me. Stoods were up but there was no height in it at all until the foot rides the top of the ball in the most unfortunate of fashions.

I can't believe for a second there wasn't a "more obvious red all season".

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

The reasons his studs were up doesn't make a single bit of difference, he endangered an opponent and was deservedly sent off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I take it you're in favor of the VAR re-refereeing the games then, and taking singular tackles out of context against all other tackles within that game?

Irrespective of what you thought of that one incident, that's basically what you're saying. You want the guy in an office away from the pitch to make the decision.

I used that one incident as an example of one specific tackle within a game full of tackles where the referee was told to change his mind on one specific tackle before then being shown one single still image, to further tell him how he was wrong, on that one tackle and remove all context from how that one tackle ranked alongside other tackles within that game that he had previously had the only (and final) decision on.

And I don't agree with that process. It's not the decision I don't agree with and have made clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,974 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You need to have a look at United's figures. They could stay inside ffp guidelines and spend £500 million on transfers.

The Glazers don't care about anything but money and the value of their assets. The reason they allowed Ineos in the door was concerns for their assets valuation. They could sort their stadium out and buy all around them and still not have any financial issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Jesus H Christ, the fn gymnastic routine you go through to complain about a deserved red card is insane. Read what I said again, it doesn't matter why it happened, the absolute fact of it is that Jones endangered an opponent and was rightly sent off.

Your rant about my VAR beliefs is just gibberish used to mask your complaints about Liverpool having a player sent off. Here's my quite simple VAR opinion for the record, I don't give a flying fcuk what system they implement once its used correctly. I also don't believe that some teams are more hard done by than others because that's just football. You get some decisions and you don't get others. The undisputed fact is that EPL Referees are horrendous and an embarrassment to the league.

All that said, Jones was rightfully sent off and any other incidents in the match don't make a bit of difference in that discussion

• Advertisement

It absolutely isn't.

I've said numerous times in this thread it's a process issue. PGMOL were using an external source to the game to re-referee the game and have since switched tact to now just use it for extreme circumstances (after previously admitting they didn't want to do this as to not embarrass their mates).

What happens in the match absolutely does matter what happens for that one tackle. Some referees are more lenient than others. Some let more things go, but are consistent throughout that one game. When an external source comes in then after 30/60/80 etc mins and says no I want you to change that one tackle but ignore the relevance to others. Players know what referees will allow/not allow after the first few mins. There is regularly games taking place where the players know that the referee will allow a certain type of tackle to and so they will do it. And vice versa.

The fact you can't see that and can only see the name of the player used in the examples says it all. I bet if I used a different players name, with the same process and outcome, you wouldn't be disagreeing. You keep referencing the player and his club, I keep talking about the process. And I have said I have no problem with the outcome of that incident either which makes it even stranger.

But the referee saw it in front of his eyes and he said that it was a yellow card in accordance to the other tackles he had allowed/disallowed in the game and somebody else overruled him and said no it's different so was overrule. You can apply that to at least one game every single week of the league this season. That's the process that needs to change.

If not, then just get rid of referees altogether and let cameras decide everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Tend to agree the most entertaining teams I’ve seen at Villa Park this season (apart from Villa) were Liverpool on Monday, Chelsea 2nd half in the recent draw and Arsenal who played well up until they got in and around our penalty area.

Just on the referees, I just noticed a couple of weeks ago how these same referees are very good in Europe. So my opinion has changed, it's not that they are terrible it's that they are being badly directed in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I think it might end up having the opposite effect

If attackers have that extra advantage then defenses will have to adapt and they'll adapt by dropping deeper.
    You'll see very few teams pushing up high to squeeze space and instead we will be watching teams sit off each other a lot more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The idea that something could be clearly and demonstrably wrong and yet couldn't be changed because you are out of challenges doesn't sit well with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Don’t make frivolous challenges and then you can make as many as you like

What's stopping someone watching the action on near real time screens, and then relaying to the coach whether it's worth challenging or not?

Also, if you have your challenge(s) remaining in the last few days mins, could you use them to waste time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

One would assume the clock would surely stop. Could easily be done to slow down momentum though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

There needs to be a punitive aspect to raising a challenge and getting it wrong. NFL you lose a time out for example

It was a disaster in rugby when they trialled it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭TheRona

The punishment is that you lose a challenge. You get 2 challenges per match, but if it's a successful one, then you don't lose it.

Rugby works much better, but still far from perfect. The Rugby World Cup final was decided by an intervention by the TMO outside the scope of what they're supposed to do.

I think what it means is there'll be no VAR intervention until the coach challenges a decision. If anything it should speed up the current situation because VAR won't review everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Surely it should be a captains decision to challenge. The manager can't see half the pitch or will they rely on the captain to advise him to challenge?

There's too much money riding on the Premier League to have the attitude that the incompetent officials will do their best, and we should be happy with it.

I don't think I'd be in favour of the challenge system.

The referees and referee decisions should be impartial and having managers trying to influence that muddies the lines a bit I think. It's already bad enough as it is, even if the referees get too much protection.

Was it the MLS or A-League that had a feature recently where the referee explains what he says, and why he reached the decision he did. He was mic'd up so people could hear it. I think it worked. Makes the referee stand over their decision, and it's a bit easier to accept.

This is exactly what would happen. You'd have someone, probably a retired referee review it and tell the manager how likely it is that the challenge would be successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Foden has been named Premier League's Player of the Season.

A very underwhelming choice in a poor Premier League season.

If it was going to be a City player it should've been Rodri. If it had to be an England international, which we often see, it should have been Rice imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

True, but Rodri isnt a very likeable player, he is a master of the dark arts which doesnt endear him to other players.

Though the decision was correct. But when rugby tried the challenge system it was a mess for the reasons people have already suggested in this thread - frivolous challenges to disrupt play etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Foden wasn't even the best player in the City team. Rodri was imperious in the majority of games and very good in the others.

Grain of salt needed for awards this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I think the challenge system is a stupid idea, especially if it is addition to how VAR currently runs, as they should be reviewing all instances anyway

A challenge system will lead to further pressure or bias, as there will be pressure to confirm these challenges, that the club think they missed or got wrong.

Although it would be interesting to see all Man City challenges upheld, and the distribution for the rest of the teams😊

How many VAR officials do we need to just do their job properly and make the right decisions. I mean we are talking about obvious mistakes that are been made, not small debatable instances most of the time.

Now if they removed VAR and only used Goal line, auto Offside, then maybe a challenge might work for other stuff then. But will the refs still let things go as they know the team can challenge?

But what if you challenge and obvious foul, 1 min or even 2min from the Goal (with no change of possession), at some point they'll have to say goal stands but it was a foul and you keep your challenge?

Also with penalties, a foul is a foul inside or outside box, and they need to stop this minimum contact (especially trips at speed, or kicks to the back of legs), and mutual holding, because most times it obvious who's doing the real holding.

And if you block a short on goal, or a cross to a Striker,with your hand, it should be a penalty, even if accidental, unless the ball would have hit the body anyway.

And then we have the independent VAR review panel, made up of 1 premier league, and 1 PGMOL official out of 5, seriously how is this independent, can we get their reviews without these 2 and the majority of the other 3. Would be interesting to see the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Wait until you realise just how open to interpretation the very concept of "wrong" is.

Just look at the many VAR decisions that are incorrect, that fans disagree with, that have to be apologised for.

Lost your two challenges because of horrible VAR decisions and now you can't challenge the Henry handball, oh the outcry will be amazing.

Or, they could take a step back and remember that forcing VAR into the game isn't supposed to be the mission.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Not sure about Foden as player of the year. But maybe that’s as much to do with him being very unlikeable and being a City player. Saka, Odegaard, Saliba and Watkins all worth a shout. Rodri does too much fouling to be considered for it in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

A challenge system would result in less VAR interventions and stoppages. Not sure how that’s going over a couple of posters’ heads.

And managers having someone with a screen telling them whether a decision should be challenged or not is perfect. That would mean challenges would, generally, only arise where a mistake has been made. Of course there would have to be a short enough time limit for managers to make the challenge.

People losing all their challenges due to poor manager challenges is good too. If that means a team has no challenges left for the second half (for example) that’s on them. And it’s not like it’s a massive disadvantage, it’s just the same as having no VAR (which is what many want anyway!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

De Zerbri leaves Brighton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Brighton confirm DeZerbi will leave at the end of the season.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

The problem with this is that the Refs just let things go, more and more, as he knows the teams can challenge anyway.

And then what does he do when a team has no challenges left, ref the game properly? This is already happening with VAR today, Refs reluctant to make decision, Var won't intervene against ref as its not obvious enough (But then the ref probably would see it anyway)

I think VAR can be improved and it should support the Ref, not be seen as catching his mistakes and afraid to intervene. Obvious error? and error is an error, just ask the ref to review.

The best example of how it should work is Rugby, Ref asks for VAR support or VAR asks Refs to review something and they both look at the incident and discuss and come to a decision together, but the ref has the final say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Like i said using the field hockey system, each team in there only has one challenge but they keep it if the challenge is successful but lose it if its not, someone has to ask a question that will be a yes or no answer and the video ref will confirm it none of this suggestive crap. Would also mean the laws of the game would have to be more black and white and no grey areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I assume Brighton will go for McKenna. He'd hardly leave Ipswich having got them this far though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Ipswich are a bigger club than Brighton

I'm surprised that Brighton have announced that. With such a massive managerial merry-go-round this summer, they definitely could have brought a >£10m fee in for him as so many clubs are looking towards new managers.

Maybe there was a falling out behind the scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Sounds like it from his own statement.

We have agreed to end my time at Brighton so that the club and I can continue to work in the way that suits each of us best, following our own ideas and visions, as well as our work and human values.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Bloom is a genius, but it doesn't take a genius to see that De Zerbi has hit the wall after a fast start. They would have been struggling in the bottom half of the table under him next season for sure.

Very interesting to see who they appoint and if Bloom can continue to get it right.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

could do worse than go back to Potter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement