Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

That can't be right... having talked to a lot of people out there this Gov has been a walking disaster... If this is true, remember Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results..

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/05/18/big-parties-set-to-win-seats-in-each-of-three-european-parliament-constituencies/

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Sweden does have much higher rape stats but partly because of their definition of rape which includes acts that would be considered low level indecent assault in Ireland. They also include marital rape.

However, having said that, most rapes in Sweden take place within their immigrant community and involve young men of that community assaulting teenage girls in that community.

So the perception that migrant males are raping Swedish women in their thousands is not correct but that there is a major issue with sexual violence in the immigrant community itself is definitely true.

Now, is that something we want to see imported into our society? That kind of subculture?

Mass immigration, as opposed to our traditional model of moderate and small scale immigration which has been largely successful, will change the landscape of Ireland forever, both literally and figuratively.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Augme

There were 243 Asylum applications in 2022 out of over 13,000. Do you have any link.dtsting that many applying for asylum in Ireland are now from Pakistan?

Maybe you just need to accept that the majority of Irish people don't hate all foreigners?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Apparently, there was no planning permission or green-light giving towards the ordered 18 modular homes to Coole from the North!

The Minister for Enterprise Peter Burke arrived on the scene at 1pm
    after holding talks with Westmeath County Council. Mr Burke, a local
    Fine Gael TD, said the Government had no involvement in installing
    modular homes at Coole for asylum seekers.

”The Government is in no way facilitating this and there is no
    contract for international protection applicants in the area,” he said.
    ”Westmeath County Council has issued an enforcement order to the
    developer in relation to the work that has been in progress here over
    the last few weeks.”

Mr Burke said it was “inappropriate” how the community in Coole was
    treated. ”We already have 100 international protection applicants here,
    100 vulnerable human beings,” he said. ”This is a small village and it
    is under extreme pressure, we have to be honest with that, and it is
    doing more than its part in terms of accommodating international
    protection applicants.”

Pure and simple greed, this whole mess is facilitated by the few making a huge fortune. How the usual posters continue to defend the living daylight out of this without accepting it's basically a scam to enrich the few are either enriched by the cluster **** in one way or another..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

Id say there was a nod and a wink somewhere in the background for that lad to have the audacity/confidence to try and install those modular homes on his land without permission. He wasn't doing it for the good of his health, they would've been filled one way or the other and paid handsomely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

The only thing I see of relevance there is the warnings on trying to compare these types of crimes country by country.

Different countries have very different reporting rates and classifications, which of course can change over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

It's the criminality of 10's of thousands and the complicity of hundreds of thousands. Nobody from that community went to police or the media to put a stop to this and it could not have continued without their support.

This is a huge issue all throughout the Islamic world and has been brought to Europe now due to immmigration.

Just because you're willing to turn a blind eye to obvious issues within a religion and a community doesn't mean that the rest of us have to follow your failed ideology.

It seems to me that no matter what evidence there is you won't listen as it goes against your limited worldview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yes, if there were no protests the modular homes would have been filled and the owner would have made vast profits. There very likely was a politician involved in the background as an advisor at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

probably the usual spin by the Irish Media ,very easy distort opinion polls the easiest trick in the book .

• Advertisement

Are you talking about abuse by Irish immigrants here or Pakistanis?

One aspect of the British grooming cases that might have passed you by was the victims being from poor and dysfunctional families.

A cohort clearly deemed worthless by the UK police, influenced I've no doubt by years of demeaning and degrading rhetoric from the right wing around 'welfare scroungers' and 'council estate scumbags'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Yea it's all the indigenous fault that the immigrants are committing crimes.

Give me strength

I think you missed this part of the study you shared.

However, results should be interpreted with caution and avoid statements on causality as such statements could be misinterpreted and misused, particularly if contextual factors, such as socioeconomic status, marital status, psychiatric disorders and lack of integration are not taken into account. Lack of integration often includes poor language skills and being unemployed. There may also be other factors associated with our findings that have not been explored. For example, possible bias against immigrants at the policing and prosecution level is a factor that cannot be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Until relatively recently, Irish society was quite 'rapey', it went on behind closed doors, in family homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

How lazy are you lefties?

Type 'rape capital of Europe' into Google and guess what comes up?

Swedish rape statistics. Ever since the collation of crime statistics was initiated by the Council of Europe, Sweden has had the highest number of registered rape offences in Europe by a considerable extent. (Wikipedia)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sekiro

How we'll deal with that in Ireland is already pretty predictable.

First it'll be something like "NO ANECDOTES" on places where people might sound the alarm. Then it'll be some pretty authoritarian Hate Crime laws just to keep people nice and quiet.

I'm sure Irelands once very vocal feminists will be suspiciously unwilling to talk about Rape Culture anymore. Unless that talk is focused on the past or maybe the huge and urgent issue of men making jokes in private locker rooms.

The only option for normal people will be to just sit tight and hope that they and their families will not be among the unlucky victims.

There was a prominent local politician mentioned in one of the videos on the coole concerns Facebook page yesterday but not going to name him, wouldn't surprise me at all if he had his fingers in this pie..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

So by your logic, you would have dismissed worries about Irish immigrant priests moving to the US as xenophobia also?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

@Augme

Did I say I hated foreigners?.. no.. you are making assumptions based on my post. So you think the current crowd are doing a good job then running the country? If I was an employer or business person and I hired someone to do a job and they couldn't do it why would I keep them on... if they are incompetent let them go.. simple as..some things can't be fixed keeping same people in there. Helen McEntee is one such person.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sekiro

Before the thread is inevitably locked, what do people genuinely see at the end of this particular tunnel?

If we continue to bring in people at a rate greater than we can provide accommodation then the number on the streets will grow and grow. When does that become an unmanageable number?

If Ireland really isn't full then how long can we keep adding new people into our society at this same rate, or greater? They all need homes and social welfare and access to healthcare and public transport and so on. Are we currently scaling these services to keep up with demand and planning for future demand?

My thinking honestly is a bit pessimistic. I don't think the influx will really stop until the situation in Ireland is so bad that nobody would want to come here. Maybe that takes 10 or 20 years but if we keep going like this we will get there.

Cant help but feel that we are laying the foundations of an absolutely enormous humanitarian disaster to happen in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Would his surname be the same as an ancient city

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

in everything our governments do, no matter the make up of the parties, its always reactive, never proactive. Until that mindset changes we will never be on top of anything.

I like you, am pessimistic about our future. Our country has changed and not for the better. I believe we are heading for worrying times, and are being lead by idiots who have no concept of the future mess they are creating.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

I never claimed you hated foreigners. The vast majority of Irish people don't hate foreigners, hence the reason there is strong support for parties who also don't hate foreigners. Those parties include government parties and also opposition parties. I think simply want a government who will enforce our current immigration laws. For reason unknown, the current government haven't made any effort to do that until very recently. If the change that approach, I think majority of people will be happy with that.

There's simply not much support or demand for anti-foreigner parties. They'll be doing very well to get one seat in each constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

He is very close friends with Helen, say no more...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭Damien360

Please list your evidence of this otherwise it's anecdotal. You seem to be inferring that all of this stems from the catholic church.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

I agree that serious decisions need to be made, but my argument would be that the decisions don't stop at send them all back or don't let any more in. It extends out to combating the fundamental drivers of what drives mass migration in the first place. However, the problem with this is that people don't necessarily want to go that deep, because it could be a hard one to get to grips with, so they'll just treat the symptoms rather than look for a cure.

But if a cure is not found, you do realise that they're just going to keep trying to come in numbers and the proposed solutions will become more extreme as demagogues rise to power on the back of people's fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Quags

Honestly the way the Gov have handled everything recently I think its rolling downhill so fast that whatever happens they wont be ready to react. Ireland is full to a point that if we cant get our own people housed first including those who are not on any social list but living with parents etc then the more AS they take in the more angrier people are going to become & I do feel there will be a major incident involving AS & Irish people

Hopefully SIPO put some manners on Helen's friend next month but I won't hold my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Advertisement