Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose not opening

Options
  • 17-05-2024 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭

This rose is Mme Isaac Perriere and has been in 3 years. Each year it has flowered but the flowers do not open. At first I thought it was weather related but it has again not opened. It claimed to be suited to semi-shade, and it is in an east facing site so only gets morning sun, maybe this is the issue. Any suggestions please?

I may have to dig it up along with the Golden Showers in the same bed, which does open its flowers but is not doing much and put them somewhere more sunny. The honeysuckle and clematis are doing fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Usually it's either too little water or too little light.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its certainly not short of water, but the light could be a problem. Looks like it will have to find a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Read about this before and it is meant to be weather and dampness related. More information at this link.

Improving the ventilation of the area with some pruning or moving the plants to more open positions should help. I prefer more open blooms in the flowers in my own garden to facilitate pollinators so don't really get this issue. If you are getting replacement flowers for the area it may be better to avoid double petaled varieties.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It really could not have more ventilation! Its in a very open, airy spot, almost too airy! I'm going to give up on roses in this spot, I will move them in the winter. The honeysuckle and clematis is very happy so I am going to concentrate on that.

Advertisement