Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Until relatively recently, Irish society was quite 'rapey', it went on behind closed doors, in family homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

How lazy are you lefties?

Type 'rape capital of Europe' into Google and guess what comes up?

Swedish rape statistics. Ever since the collation of crime statistics was initiated by the Council of Europe, Sweden has had the highest number of registered rape offences in Europe by a considerable extent. (Wikipedia)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭sekiro

How we'll deal with that in Ireland is already pretty predictable.

First it'll be something like "NO ANECDOTES" on places where people might sound the alarm. Then it'll be some pretty authoritarian Hate Crime laws just to keep people nice and quiet.

I'm sure Irelands once very vocal feminists will be suspiciously unwilling to talk about Rape Culture anymore. Unless that talk is focused on the past or maybe the huge and urgent issue of men making jokes in private locker rooms.

The only option for normal people will be to just sit tight and hope that they and their families will not be among the unlucky victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭ooter

There was a prominent local politician mentioned in one of the videos on the coole concerns Facebook page yesterday but not going to name him, wouldn't surprise me at all if he had his fingers in this pie..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

So by your logic, you would have dismissed worries about Irish immigrant priests moving to the US as xenophobia also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

@Augme

Did I say I hated foreigners?.. no.. you are making assumptions based on my post. So you think the current crowd are doing a good job then running the country? If I was an employer or business person and I hired someone to do a job and they couldn't do it why would I keep them on... if they are incompetent let them go.. simple as..some things can't be fixed keeping same people in there. Helen McEntee is one such person.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭sekiro

Before the thread is inevitably locked, what do people genuinely see at the end of this particular tunnel?

If we continue to bring in people at a rate greater than we can provide accommodation then the number on the streets will grow and grow. When does that become an unmanageable number?

If Ireland really isn't full then how long can we keep adding new people into our society at this same rate, or greater? They all need homes and social welfare and access to healthcare and public transport and so on. Are we currently scaling these services to keep up with demand and planning for future demand?

My thinking honestly is a bit pessimistic. I don't think the influx will really stop until the situation in Ireland is so bad that nobody would want to come here. Maybe that takes 10 or 20 years but if we keep going like this we will get there.

Cant help but feel that we are laying the foundations of an absolutely enormous humanitarian disaster to happen in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Would his surname be the same as an ancient city

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭prunudo

in everything our governments do, no matter the make up of the parties, its always reactive, never proactive. Until that mindset changes we will never be on top of anything.

I like you, am pessimistic about our future. Our country has changed and not for the better. I believe we are heading for worrying times, and are being lead by idiots who have no concept of the future mess they are creating.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭boetstark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Augme

I never claimed you hated foreigners. The vast majority of Irish people don't hate foreigners, hence the reason there is strong support for parties who also don't hate foreigners. Those parties include government parties and also opposition parties. I think simply want a government who will enforce our current immigration laws. For reason unknown, the current government haven't made any effort to do that until very recently. If the change that approach, I think majority of people will be happy with that.

There's simply not much support or demand for anti-foreigner parties. They'll be doing very well to get one seat in each constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

He is very close friends with Helen, say no more...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Damien360

Please list your evidence of this otherwise it's anecdotal. You seem to be inferring that all of this stems from the catholic church.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭briany

I agree that serious decisions need to be made, but my argument would be that the decisions don't stop at send them all back or don't let any more in. It extends out to combating the fundamental drivers of what drives mass migration in the first place. However, the problem with this is that people don't necessarily want to go that deep, because it could be a hard one to get to grips with, so they'll just treat the symptoms rather than look for a cure.

But if a cure is not found, you do realise that they're just going to keep trying to come in numbers and the proposed solutions will become more extreme as demagogues rise to power on the back of people's fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Quags

Honestly the way the Gov have handled everything recently I think its rolling downhill so fast that whatever happens they wont be ready to react. Ireland is full to a point that if we cant get our own people housed first including those who are not on any social list but living with parents etc then the more AS they take in the more angrier people are going to become & I do feel there will be a major incident involving AS & Irish people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭ooter

Hopefully SIPO put some manners on Helen's friend next month but I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭riddles

Of course we are Germany and Ireland are marketed as high skilled technology driven economies. Technology displacement of jobs will further disconnect migrants from employment. The biggest reality is migrants in housing provision and social welfare will not achieve the same rewards in low paid employment. The sheer volumes of people moving into the welfare space is threatening its viability and sustainability which is not disconnected from the drop in support for Sinn Fein. Something you won’t see readily discussed in main stream media

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sunjava

The eventual result is a civil war of some sort, in the distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It extends out to combating the fundamental drivers of what drives mass migration in the first place.

You didn't mention what these drivers are - Lets just take one country as an example. Nigeria - That's the highest application country. Apart from a danger of Islamist whack-heads in the NE (mainly to females) the only other and main problem is that Nigeria is a bit of a s/hole.

It looks like what you are saying is that we (Ireland) should continue to allow unfettered quantities of Nigerians into Ireland while we (Ireland) make a country of 224m people a much nicer place so they'll stay

It's an interesting idea alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭riddles

you can add in a tax payer ratio of 5-1 going to 2-1 in about 20 years something which has been well known in department of finance for over a decade but nothing tangible is being done except to erode the OAP provisions for the people daft enough to be paying social insurance at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Now hang on a minute. The Slovakian PM is a supporter of Putin and his four terms in office have been marred by many corruption scandals. I don't like it when I see Irish people lauding the likes of Enoch Powell, Orban and other fascists. We even had one poster saying we should see Georgia as our allies. Georgia?? Does that poster know anything about Georgian politics?

We have a major crisis on our hands but we don't need far right fascist regimes in our country either.

Now, to get back to our immigration crisis, the following link is worth reading. Unfortunately our government tends to bow to whatever pressures are placed on it by outside agencies. The old 'best boy in the class' syndrome that we so frequently display.

Note the recommendations of the United Nations that we need to quickly provide long term housing for asylum seekers and how we can achieve this with solutions such as 'the rapid build homes scheme, and the offer a home scheme;'

It also urges that payments to IP applicants should keep pace with the increased cost of living.

https://www.unhcr.org/ie/sites/en-ie/files/2024-02/Ireland_UNHCR%20Public%20Submission%20for%20CESCR%2075th%20Session.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Gen.Zhukov

It looks like what you are saying is that we (Ireland) should continue to allow unfettered quantities of Nigerians into Ireland while we (Ireland) make a country of 224m people a much nicer place so they'll stay

Please quote where I said we should continue to allow unfettered quantities of anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

The idea for Clonmel was to apparently build 80 modular houses with no planning permission required, allowing 320 Ukrainians to move from hotels allowing asylum seekers to move into those hotels from the streets.

Then when the hotels fill up and the canals fill up with tents again we’ll get more modular homes (250k a unit) and repeat the exercise?

I feel sorry for sorry for anyone in the tourist industry looking forward to making a living this summer.I’ve had lots of election material in the door (south Dublin) but only callers were independent candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Is it not standard medical practice to treat the symptoms and find a cure for the disease concurrently?

Applied to the case of IPAs, treating the symptoms would be speeding up processing times, deporting invalid claimants, building purpose built detention centres for use while claims are being assessed, adding more countries to our safe list and establishing quotas for the number of IPA claims we can accept until the backlog eases.

Finding a cure for the disease will require the Western world weaning itself off cheap labour, cheap capitalism and becoming less reliant on globalism. It's doable, difficult granted, and will take maybe 50 years. It also means that certain groups of wealthy influential people will need to be tackled.

I'd like to see us start with treating the symptoms, like any professional medic does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I just read the Irish Independent cover to cover and aside from a tiny article on the annual cost to maintain Thornton Hall, there is no mention of asylum seekers.

Are the media being told to put a lid on this? Nothing about the number of people in tents on the canals, nothing about the trucks rolling into Coole yesterday. All very hush hush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭TokTik

1. The Irish people should decide who comes here.
    2. We already “discrimate” certain countries/cultures via our visa system. Some people need one, others don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This though is analogous to the climate change debate, that we must tackle our carbon emissions at local level to save the planet. When we all know full well that Ireland is diddly squat in terms of the overall problem. So whilst we are morally obliged to do our bit as individual citizens, really we should be focused on climate change mitigating measures. Investing in how to deal with the changes rather than naively thinking we can solve them.

Likewise with the growth of migration around the world, we can't hope to solve the world's ills. We can and should support self help and development in countries under pressure, according to our resources. But as far as Ireland itself is concerned we need immigration mitigation measures. Control the inflow, manage what does arrive and deport. We'll be no good to anyone if we beggar the country and wreck our own culture and society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Do you have any children here in Ireland trying to get a start in life and develop as couples. Does it effect you even remotely what happens here?

Advertisement