Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hipster Cafes and Bakeries

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Labour costs are higher in France than here.

Yet you can get a main course in a restaurant in central Paris for 9.50 - 12.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭drury..

Presumably the cost of doing business is lower

Materials insurance electricity rent rates etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭JVince

I'd love to know where that is. Even small side street hidden restaurants used by locals charge €18-€20.

In Germany the standard main course is over €20 in most ordinary restaurants and it's fairly basic food.

In Dublin you can get good value without looking too hard - here's my favourite place - brilliant food and superb value https://enotecadinapoli.ie/eat-italy/lunch-menu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://bouillonlesite.com/bouillon-republique

I admit that prices like these are not typical in central Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A frozen, laughably titled Cuisine De France baguette? A favourite of builders without any taste buds.

An insult to a proper baguette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

FfS you should be ashamed of yourself. Rubbish dropping off at work and nicking the toilet roll. I'd say you wouldn't spend Christmas and everyone in your circle knows it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Hospital shops are a worse rip off than that.

Unfortunately, i didn't have the luxury of just pissing off to the next shop as I'd just been a few days after major surgery - nil by mouth and only sipping water until 2 days before, doctor finally said i could eat - awkwardly it was between hospital meals, so.. famished as i was i wheeled myself down to the shop which took a good ten minutes being as weak as a kitten and bought a prepacked ham and cheese sandwich from a company that makes them for the hospital (company based in finglas)

7 euro.. for a f**king ham and cheese sambo on white bread with nothing else on it.. I had enough sense to ask how much is the sandwich, young lad behind the counter confirmed it was 7 quid and looked at me as if i was going to be a Karen.. i just handed him his cash.

in fairness, it was good, but i'd not eaten in 5 days.. so yeah.

I could if i'd the strength and energy went to aldi or lidl, bought a loaf, butter, ham and cheese for the same price and left whatever i didn't use with the ward and still had change left over from that seven quid.

Anyway..

The catering staff from my ward in the hospital that evening asked me if i'd like a sandwich, i greedily said yes.. and guess what.. same package, same company, same ham and cheese.. these guys are catering to the hospital too.. they must be minted! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Our local bakery sells a sourdough loaf for 5.10 and a large baguette for 3.30. There was actually a queue out the door earlier this morning and I’d imagine they are probably sold out already. There’s a lot of people who are willing to pay for artisan produce, myself included. If you are happy enough for a part-baked doughy mess of a thing like a CdF baguette then knock yourself out.

Reformed character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

Are cuisine de france even going anymore? I thought the fresh baked goods in supermarkets killed them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No, they're still around.

Petrol station gourmet fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

The fresh baked goods in supermarkets are mostly prebaked from Cuisine de France, aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

€4.50 for a king cornetto ice cream

The world has gone mad

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭rowantree18

Sceál Bakery has recently opened in Greystones. Queue out the door constantly. Coffee 4e and I think it was just an Americano. Miso Sourdough 7.50. The pastries are the 4-5e mark. I'm not stingy, but jaysus.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

fully agree - 4.50 for pastries, it's overpriced and not all that great. Firehouse bakery on the other hand, still not cheap but their coffee and pastries are high quality.

Firehouse the bomb - way better value and I enjoy the walk to Delgany

Had a pastry in Bread 41 recently. €5.40. It was amazing, and nowhere else does anything like it. I know it's overpriced, but I don't mind treating myself sometimes. They were sold out of it on Friday, so got something else, which was €3.40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,203 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Some of us just like to actually spend our money, you should try it sometime. Cant take it with you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They are made in the same plants, yes.

Until relatively recently, the parent company also made most of the croissants in France!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I never said they taste nice. They are the opposite. However, many places offer them like they are an exquisite, boutique bakery item, with as many adjectives to describe them. They then price them accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

My rule on going into a cafe is no armchairs, find the next cafe. Sick of going in for a relax and sitting on a kitchen chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭recyclops

Tbf to Sceál their Almond Croissant is top class but they only do it at weekends which is very annoying, their coffee is woeful though for the price they are charging, Firehouse are now pushing pastries out to every coffee shop going from Cabinteely to Wicklow Town, being mass produced without too much of a dip in quality which is great too see, coffee in Wicklow Wolf (surprisingly good) and a firehouse pastry goes down very well and doesnt break the bank.

"Some of us just like to actually spend our money, you should try it sometime. Cant take it with you"

I take your point and agree to an extent. But just to say - colleague from India in Ireland 3 years just bought his first house for approx 500k. No family help, just him and wife on 2 nurse salaries and serious saving for deposit.

You can't do that on 5e pastries and 4e coffees.

I know what marketing is, but doubt gouging is part of the marketing mix? Maybe your marketing comment means 'they do it because they can' ? Thats profiteering, not marketing.

If we ever have another recession, places that charge very high prices for at best ordinary products, will be moaning about how they can't make a profit, turnover is down, and they are struggling to stay open...

Another part of marketing is developing long term customers by providing quality products at fair prices. Businesses that do that often stay in business through tough times because they have a loyal customer base that believe they get good value products.

The marketing strategy of charge what you can get away with will fail miserably at this because it's short term, max profit, non-customer loyalty /value based. Thats a marketing fail.

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

Gouging is part of the business model alright. I describe it as 'charge what you can get away with', but some people would say 'charge what someone is willing to pay'. The queues, and profits, for Bread 41 show that quite a few people are willing to pay.

"Bread 41 has annual turnover of about €4 million, and generates profits of about €600,000".

But they do treat, and pay, their staff well.

Maybe go back and read your post and my reply

I didn't reply to a post about gouging. I replied to below

"I never said they taste nice. They are the opposite. However, many places offer them like they are an exquisite, boutique bakery item, with as many adjectives to describe them. They then price them accordingly "

• Advertisement

In my view, selling low quality products for high prices is gouging not marketing.

Advertisement