Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just got around to reading that "OUR CITY IS CHANGING" magazine thing. What a load of shyte.

Options
  • 17-05-2024 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

About a month (or maybe two?) ago, those magazines were delivered to everybody. I had a quick flick through and put it in a box of random crap to look at later.

Fast forward to now and I had a read of it. Jesus what an massive steaming pile of shyte.

"we are going to do this"

"we are going to do that"

"we plan to do this"

"I swear we plan to do that"

"We have commenced this"

"Light rail system plans" (In huge massive bold font: "17KM of Light rail system" trying to dazzle the readers as if it exists…. LOL)

Almost the entire magazine is fairytales and pure marketing shyte.

"1.9 billion is "being spent" (my quotes) on housing delivery from 2022 to 2026"

"A NEW ERA FOR CORK DOCKLANDS" … with science fiction CGI photos of a Cork that doesn't exist. Like that CGI photo what was supposed to replace the Sextant pub.

So many marketing buzzwords, fake photos, random statistics about what will happen in the future. It's like the city council said "hey, the local peasants are going to burn us out of the place, let's do a magazine of some futuristic stuff and that'll calm them down."

Anyway, I just put down the science fiction magazine and had to vent somewhere. My housemate ran out of energy so I came here.

Does anybody else think it's a big pile of shyte?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

CCC are all about plans, dreams and aspirations and nothing else. The light rail will never happen as the councillors and nimby's will stop it. But you can bet loads of private consultants and planners are getting paid for these said plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭scrotist

That's also probably where the "€1.9 billion on housing" is going.

We need a good dictator in Ireland for a few years, then back to democracy.

Somebody like the king of Saudi Arabia would be great for Ireland.

Or Paul Kagame of Rwanda.

Just completely demolish 90% of cork and build a proper city. You can't fit all these science fiction plans into a medieval village built for horses and muck savage hobbits.

Cork people are at fault too for the lack of development. They are constantly living in the past and resistant to change, daydreaming about mammy bringing them to Lennoxes for a 20 pence bag of chips after school. People were heart broken when R&H hall was demolished. I saw comments like "I lov dat bildin... wen I come back 2 cark and I see dat bildin it remind me dat im home bai 😢 and now it gone 😢" I'm 100% certain cork city council is full of these people too.

For that science fiction magazine to become reality, we need to delete all planning laws and bring in dictatorship. If somebody opposes a plan for a 15 story apartment block, demolish their house and build another apartment block where their house was. Imprison all opposition, and give local muck savage peasants free Lennoxes chips or free Tony's bistro breakfast to keep them calm.

I might run for local government.

Post edited by scrotist on

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

Excellent post. The part about R&H hall had me in knots as it's so true. Sure for many a year the only decent building in the city centre that wasn't ready to collapse into a heap of rubble was Merchant's Quay and yet that's the building they absolutely despise. The watering down of Bus Connects is another slap in the face for any hopes of an efficient fast bus service. Slowness is what they like, place polluted with badly timed traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mrpdap

As I was reading through your post I was thinking that I’d reply along the lines of “you should start a political party”, but your last line saved me.

Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭scrotist

Regarding R&H hall, I just saw somebody on reddit say they "almost cried" when they read an article about some grain silo in Norway that was rebuilt into some kind of art gallery / museum thing.

Personally I think it looks like a massive toilet bowl for giants (search google maps for "Kunstsilo art museum")

But this guy on reddit literally almost cried when he saw that, and he thought of the beautiful R&H Hall.

I asked him … really, why did you cry?

And he stared going on about the destruction of unwanted buildings.

I think Cork is fcuked. He probably works for the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I looked up that building, @scrotist .

You have no taste or vision. You'd do well in politics. Go for it. Run on a ticket of deleting all planning laws. What could possibly go wrong? 🤣

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Erra shur knock down Shandon why not? Who needs all that ould shite?

Advertisement