Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse Lucy Letby found guilty of murdering seven babies

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭donaghs

I found it a very dull read. Sorry! Is there any new evidence, or basically its a long-winded way of saying:

- it was only statistical evidence, which they think was flawed

• the public mood/media/etc had already judged her guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭standardg60

Chilling indeed and has left me feeling very uncomfortable on a human level. A conviction secured not on actual evidence but by the lack of it.

They've not only destroyed her life but her mind too, very disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

I look at it from the opposite point of view, is there any evidence, except flawed statistical evidence, that points to her being guilty? And no seems to be the answer to that question.

That leads on to asking whether flawed statistical evidence makes a person guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. I have a very very hard time saying yes to that personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,295 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Feels to me we’re at the start of a 15 - 20 year ordeal where eventually justice is done after those complicit in ruining this woman’s life are long retired / moved to other positions - ala Derry, Birmingham, Guildford, Hillsborough et al.

The amazing thing to me always is how quick people are to swallow the narrative of guilt, no matter how flimsy. So many of the posts at the top of this thread look awful silly, I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The big thing that is a bit concerning about the case is so many are under impression a crime definitely occurred. The actual evidence for murders seems pretty weak at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The whole forum is a prime example of how eagerly people jump at any opportunity to join a (virtual) lynch mob. Offer a counter argument and you will be accused of all sorts because their emotions on the matter should outweigh reason.

This case was a mess to start with, not even counting in the media circus surrounding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Caquas

The dumbest things said on TV cop shows:

1. We got an eye witness! Case closed.
    2. All that evidence is just circumstantial!

More people have been wrongly convicted by mistaken eye-witnesses than any other cause.

Most convictions depend on circumstantial evidence. In fact, it is increasingly rare for anyone other than the victim to go into a witness box and give direct evidence of a crime.

If Lucy Letby is innocent, she did an outstanding job of incriminating herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,295 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭marilynrr

The lack of defence was really very concerning and bizarre.

There was also a very interesting part of the New Yorker article that was removed following concerns raised by an English court 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Xander10

More charges or just sentencing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement