Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ukrainian evolution in the war. Last night was the largest drone attack by Ukraine on Russia since the start of the war.

x.com/GeoConfirmed/status/1791502065564340486

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

So much for all the talk of Russians wanting “peace”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

for each of the past five days russia has lost over 1000 soldiers, the number increased steadily so yesteday the count stood at 1500, sorry but i have lost the link, the question now is for how long can russia afford these losses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Unfortunately Putin has lots more where that came from it seems .. the poor caucuses ( not from the leafy suburbs of Moscow or St Petersburg ). He has about 140m lambs to the slaughter if it comes to it. He does not give a fck for his people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Was the same with Bakhmut a year ago and here we are still talking about it.

It's a fallacy and one to honour Putin if people think he has unlimited meat bags for Ukraine.

He doesn't. Their economy is already at peak employment. Every meat bag taken from russia is a worker taken from the economy. These are security guards, refuse people, farmers, teachers, students, plumbers, electricians, etc. These are dying in Ukraine. It's the fit and able tradespeople dying.

Internal security were already saying they are short 150,000 because of this war. Transport reps were saying they are short of drivers. Oil and gas industry are saying they are short 40k workers. And this in a country where any weakness is not allowed be shown or pushed on mainstream media or the internet.

The trouble with Putin is he still believes he is leading the USSR and believes he has the manpower of the USSR and uses the tactics of meat bags thrown at machine guns till they run out of bullets.

He doesn't realise it's now 2024 and not 1941. Ukraine and the west took him for a fool on this and now we've the reports of 100k's russians killed thanks to his outdated tactics and behaviour. He thinks he can emulate Stalin but this time it's Russia only, without the satellite states.

He's now sold out Russia to China as well as this. And this was the man who despised Yeltsin. So thick he couldn't see how stupid he was. Convinced himself and told those around him to tell him he was a great man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Caustic

New thread? I didn't think new boards had a limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Rawr

Made me think of this:

We’re really into sci-fi warfare times with gun-toting drones. Cool & chilling in equal measure.

As we seen last summer with Prigozhin being welcomed as hero the endless meat waves are having an effect on Russia

there’s a drone video yesterday on Twitter on YouTube of Ukrainian defender gunning down a dozen Russians at point blank range as they walk up his position, old machine gun in a well hidden position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭macraignil

Seems to be a clear correlation with putin sending more forces on attacks and greater number of losses with another day of over a thousand reported by the Ukrainian armed forces as eliminated yesterday. At this pace they could have reached the half million eliminated from the battlefield in Ukraine since the 2022 invasion by the end of the month. The losses in equipment must also be blunting the effectiveness of putin's forces and the new recruits needed to keep the territories in Ukraine occupied will increasingly be less well trained conscripts who don't want to be there on the front lines attacking some imaginary Nazis that a deranged old man has invented to hold onto power.

No evidence to support my theory but I wonder if a lot of the talk of stalled and slow weapons supply from the supporters of Ukraine and man power shortages has been directed so it is encouraging putin's forces to push on the attack more intensely by giving them a false sense of hope that they can bring the conflict to an end with a victory for putin, when Ukraine knows it can simply make small fall back maneuvers in places and continuously weaken putin's army. How long can putin last the attrition is a good question. The EU and NATO members investing in arming Ukraine is the best route to peace in the east of Europe and I can't see them allowing putin claim a victory no mater how long it takes for Ukraine to secure its borders from his terrorists.

But hey seizing Russian assets Will apparently lead to a global recession or some nonsense like that /s

Tho there is good news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,350 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Theres a bunch of threads like this one that have glitches... unclear if its related to length... theres a helpdesk thread on it under disappearing posts.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭combat14

the west will just have to use the confiscated russian assets to compensate western business seizures in russia e.g. italian banks, air planes, etc.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

In the list of priorities, I would be favouring it going to the nation who got invaded first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I keep hearing Putin and Russia going on about fab China and its special relationships but I hear less and less from Jinping and China about Russia. The stalled gas pipe line siberia 2 suggests China has its own ideas about the future.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Not great if Russia start to do this more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Fuel depot in Belbek wiped out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

“We are in a nonsense situation where the west is afraid that Russia will lose the war. And it does not want Ukraine to lose it,” he said.

Zelensky talking about the unfathomable situation regarding the West and its position on Ukraine.

He also said they need approx 130 F16s and have only 1/4 of the air defenses they need.

It may be bloody for Russia but Putin and the man behind it all, Xi, must be amazed at how the West rolled over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭macraignil

"Putin and the man behind it all, Xi, must be amazed at how the West rolled over."

How do you mean "the West" rolled over? Aid to Ukraine from the USA, EU and other countries amounts to billions of euros with even Ireland helping by accommodating thousands of refugees and providing aid to help them cope with putin's terrorism. It would be nice to see a faster effect and putin's forces having to leave Ukraine more quickly and their terrorist actions in Ukraine being stopped completely but I don't see how providing billions of euros worth of aid and ramping up arms production particularly in Ukraine itself can be described as "the West rolled over".

https://www.ifw-kiel.de/topics/war-against-ukraine/ukraine-support-tracker/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Love one of the replies:

Operating in russia is a bit like if you want to prevent getting a girl pregnant.

Should have pulled out a LONG time ago.

😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Zelensky refers frequently to their manpower issues, exhaustion of troops, lowering of morale due to lack of rotation.

What can they do to reverse this? Doesn't matter how much munitions or weaponry they get, if there's not the will to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Looks like Deutsche Bank assets were seized aswell

The Germans are one of the eu parties dragging feet on handing over seized Russian 300bn to Ukraine

Here is me playing world’s smallest violin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The bottom line is that Starlink is a civilian grade communication system. It is inherently going to be more susceptible to countermeasures than a miltary grade one. It's not only about being able to withstand knocks and vibrations.

Post edited by Manic Moran on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

That's if it wasn't disabled from within in the first place. I don't believe that Elon wasn't involved.

Elon and starlink made it very clear how resistant their system is to attacks

So either they lied or musk is being a gobshite yet again