Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bundesliga Super-Thread warning post #4542

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Acosta

Tomorrow's Hamburg derby is on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/live/kWVqO6tREuw?si=L7joCEHUnEgjrxIx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

‎‎‎‎`

2-0 Hamburg. Very tentative performance from St. Pauli. The worst I've seen them play this season. Missed a chance to get promoted at the best place possible. Hamburg also had two goals ruled out after the ref went to the monitor. Third place is still comfortably in Düsseldorf's hands after beating Nurnberg.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

VfB now have more points in the 32 games this season than they got in all 68 games from the previous two seasons. Incredible season from them after years of relegation struggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Leverkusen hammer the last team to beat them, and ...... Pauli are back!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm getting the vibe that Leverkusen will lose the Euro Final, to ruin their unbeaten run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'm getting quite the opposite vibe - winning the final to cement their place even more in history.

If Atalanta play like they did against Liverpool, they'll give them a great game anyway.

A great spectacle will be on show for those lucky enough to have a ticket for Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

23% of Union Berlin's goals came in the first three halves of the season…

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

If Köln don't make it to 16th at the weekend and then win the playoff they are in a lot of trouble. A relegation battle again next season is likely due to the transfer ban. Lot of their young talents want out as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Even if they somehow stay up, next season is not going to be easy with those conditions.

And a playoff, if they make it, is going to be a derby game for them against Dusseldorf

My head still hurts from when I read this first. Please explain - thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Union Berlin is a weird one. The former 'people's club' of East Germany - as opposed to the 'state club' BFC Dynamo - has a great history of genuine fan support and 30 odd years after the wall came down they made it finally into the top flight. An incredible story all by itself. Bundesliga fans will probably be familiar will all that background.

Last season was their most successful ever. Relatively new to the top flight they had a stormer of a season and qualified for the Champions League where they drew Real Madrid in their group. They signed a few high profile players (by their standards) and thought it was only ever going to go onwards and upwards. And then they proceeded to have a nightmare of a season.

Would be shame if they went down but thats definitely on the table now. Currently in the relegation playoff spot they could technically still avoid that but also could get caught for 17th spot and straight down relegation. All or nothing game coming up against Freiburg who are no mugs and can still make Europe. Their indirect opponents for avoiding relegation or the playoff spot are Köln, Mainz and Bochum. All 4 clubs involved in this battle have doable opponents but it also could go very wrong for each of them. If it was to be the playoff spot their opponents will be Fortuna Düsseldorf a club with great Bundesliga tradition and a great fanbase and also no mugs. Big drama coming up next weekend and squeaky bum time.

They score four goals in their first game, three in the first half of their second. That's seven out of 31 in 1.5 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

I think Union's fans and board heads got turned by last year's success and they started to believe their own hype. Significantly some of the expensive free transfers like Bonucci that they signed turned out to be failures and then they made a mess of replacing Fischer with Bjelica who they got rid of recently. Hope they go down tbh, some of the talk around them became a bit bulls*itty the last few years and also because I want to see the Berlin Derby again next season and Hertha ain't getting promoted any time soon.I don't think they will though as Koln have to pull off a miracle to avoid automatic relegation and even if they finish in a playoff spot they'll probably beat Dusseldorf.

Hope Bochum stay up, I've been to few of their matches and they have some great fans with their matches usually having a great atmosphere. Also would like at least two Ruhr clubs in the Bundesliga for historic reasons, particularly as bar Dortmund the rest of the clubs have had issues with Schalke a basket case and Duisburg getting relegated to the Regionaliga this season.

I dont know about miracle for Köln. Unlikely yes but miracle?

Köln are 3 points and 3 goals behind Union. They play Hoffenheim who have Europe in their sights but also just got hammered 6:0 by bottom of the table Darmstadt. If Union lose to Freiburg who are also still having a chance for Europe then anything could happen. Two goals difference in each game is not likely but it's not impossible. If same goal difference its likely to go Unions way since they have more goals scored. Union in the driving seat for playoff spot at least but with the season they're having anything is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Thought it was Heidenheim that Köln were playing on Saturday. Regardless of whom they're against that's a particularly poor Köln side who only seem to be able to win matches with late goals and turnarounds. That luck usually runs out and I can't see them staying up on Saturday.

You're right, Heidenheim. Which is arguably better since Heidenheim have nothing to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Big fan of St Pauli. Promotion confirmed last Sunday. A great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Invincible Leverkusen and what should be a talked about story as well Stuttgart finish second ahead of Bayern.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement

Heidenheim hammered Köln are will be in Europe as long as Leverkusen win the Pokal. That's definitely the shock of the season.

Union escaped 16th with a 91st minute penalty to beat Freiburg. Penalty was missed but they scored from the rebound.

Bochum v Fortuna should be interesting. No idea who'll win that actually.

Was at the Union game -they deserved it. Even though they missed two penalties

Pal Dardai stepping down as Hertha coach. He'll probably be back after the next disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Great late drama at the top and bottom of the table for the final day of the season. Bochum deserved at least a point from their game. Bayern went to sleep for the second half and Stuttgart leap frogged them in the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

So Kane doesn't even get a runner-up medal. 😐️

And Tuchel had hopes of staying in the job.

3rd for Bayern. 17pts behind the champions. A disaster of a season.

It is and it isn't tbh.

Yes league was poor but once the league was lost and all focus was on CL I wouldnt be too harsh on some of the losses around that time. Also thank fk tbh. 11 in a row is quite enough.

Champions League was pretty good considering the state of the squad. Bayern not exactly at the dizzying heights from a few years ago, you see that on the pitch above all. Going to the CL semi-final and almost making it is pretty good.

The quad has a solid base, not terribly old, there is a top centre forward and with a couple of additions next year will be better.

What is an embarrassing sh1tshow however is the manager saga and especially how they go on about it. Embarrassing. A club like Bayern shouldn't be likes whoring on twitter. Conduct your business like any serious business would and not on fkn social media. Eberl, I dont know tbh. Seems a bit of a clown too many apps on his phone.

Misses out on the supercup next season, too - could have finally won something.

• Advertisement

Apparently Tuchel turned Bayern down, or was the one who killed any talks over him staying. At least according to BILD..but they could have been fed that from his side.

Anyways they've been turned down by so many coaches now it's comical. According to Christian Falk (pinch of salt) the latest is Roger Schmidt who said he's staying at Benfica. Eberl was asked will the new coach be Italian (De Zerbi) and he said no, so that's not happening either. We might see Tim Walter return to Bayern yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, they're obsessed about their coaches speaking German, which rules out De Zerbi (and a lot of options more decent that they're actually looking at). Should be throwing the kitchen sink at Hansi Flick imo, best manager they've had in ages.

Well speaking the language kinda helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Did Trappatoni, Cappello, Pep or Ancelloti speak German before they went there?

They almost certainly didnt but that doesnt make my statement false.

Pep learned German I remember that for sure. Trappatoni did too. (was erlauben Strunz ;)

I know its not quite the same what with English being the sort of universal language but I couldn't see a PL club hiring anyone who couldn't speak English.

Yeah in the past some have learned after going there - according to the German journos it's a non-negotiable for the current appointment though, only considering German speakers.

Really hope they don't go for Sebastian Hoeness right now - he'd be much better off staying at Stuttgart and growing there first. Given who his uncle is, it's only a matter of time before he goes to Bayern if he keeps progressing, so he's much better off waiting until the time is right for him.

• Advertisement

I agree, I'm delighted to see that Alonso stayed put too. I like Bayern and I think they're great but they can be a bit of a toxic steamroller in the Bundesliga in terms of poaching whatever talent they want.

Like I said before - I know it's I d 'FC Hollywood' and all but I'm not impressed with this very public manager search. Its embarrassing and its not actually helpful in way of finding a new manager either.

Amazing to see that Leverkusen's unbeaten run, has been equalled down in League 5, but Werder Bremen B went a step further, and actually won ALL 30 games they played.

This was the final table, with a very impressive goal difference!

Just to make it a little bit "Leverkusen-y", after strolling home in every other match, this was their final game.

Their front pairing got 41 and 50 goals!

Loved Kompany as a player obviously but this is absolutely bonkers. Bayern taking a big risk here giving an young and inexperienced coach the job. I guess they believe the way he has his teams play will suit a top side far more than a relegation candidate like 23/24 Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Is there even a precedent for a manager getting relegated and getting a jump that size in the same offseason?

Not that I can think of. Someone on twitter mentioned that Rijkaard was sacked after getting relegated with Sparta Rotterdam and then his next job was Barca, but there was a year off in between.

• Advertisement

Surely can't be true.

OK, they finished 3rd and didn't win the CL, but no need to hit the panic button.

They were saying on German SSN earlier that Bayern just have to agree compensation with Burnley and the move will happen. Kompany already accepted the job.

ha, I'm sure he did! probably bit the bloody fingers off 'em! 😅

Josh Cullen for Bayern?

This is going to be either the silliest managerial appt in many years.......or a master stroke.

I'm going with option A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Its like an alternate reality. Since when did getting relegated with Burnley get you the Bayern job?

Bayern have completely ballsed the whole thing up. They should have just sacked Tuchel back in February and went manager hunting then. Not sacking him but telling him he's gone at the end of the year and then going back to him to try to convince him to stay and failing was comical stuff.

A well run Bayern would have gotten Emry who has earned another top job.

He speaks fluent German so that's a tick in the correct box. This, along with Southgate at England, feeds into the agenda that will guarantee Harry Kane ends his career with just a few top scorer prizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wow Bochum are in big big trouble, must be one of the most one side relegation fights between Bundesliga 1 and 2 teams

However, the way this German website reports an own goal, looks like they have a fighting chance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement