Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

That is a list of ALL percentages that are possible to exist, by definition. From 0 to 100. Didn't take a great effort.

Probability of this murder being committed - 100%; it did happen.

Probability of it being done by a Martian - 0% - they don't exist.

The horse theory - maybe 3% - no hoof prints, and horses can't throw rocks.

Probability of the killer being an able-bodied man - much higher than it being an elderly woman. Etc. You get the idea.

Experience and statistics have to count for something, when there's not much evidence to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

When I think of it. It might have been more correct to say "either 0% or 100%" rather than "between 0% and 100%" as statistics apply to a population, not an individual.

Any individual either was the killer or was not the killer, there is no in-between. Distinguishing which should be based in solid evidence, not unfounded belief and how much effort it takes to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

Post edited by FishOnABike on

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭jesuisjuste

I literally posted it the last time you asked a few posts back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

This is what I've been writing for a long time.

There is absolutely no evidence to ever convict any suspect beyond reasonable doubt.

The likelihood of Bailey being the killer is as strong or as weak as all the other suspects.

In absence of any decent evidence only possible motivations and behaviours can be considered. However one or the other is neither more nor less likely as there is no evidence pointing more into this or that direction.

Even worse, DNA won't help either in this case. The murder weapon, being a cavity block, was in plain sight, and could have been handled or touched by anybody prior to the murder as it was accessible to anybody.

The case is also complicated as there are too many lose ends.

Competency was also not one of the traits those had who tried to solve it.

As written, any qualified physician should have been able to give at least an approximate time of death at least to the point of whether it was around midnight, or in the morning, regardless if the body was out in the cold or not.

Suppose the vagrant Martin Graham lied about having received drugs from the police, suppose Marie Farrell lied about being coerced by the police, we still have the Bandon Garda tapes as well as lost evidence. So competence was also not something the Gards had in this case as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Anybody could have touched the cavity block prior to the murder? No.

It was on her property and not something that would be handled normally. A person would have to be someone who visited her so if there was DNA that wasn't from those few it would be very significant.

• Advertisement

Sure, the person would have to be there in order to touch or otherwise handle that cavity block.

But yet, it could have been anybody as well, the cavity block wasn't locked away, wasn't accessible only to an exclusive group of people.

It's not that the cavity block is a registered firearm, which is kept under lock and key by the registered owner.

Nevertheless, anyone whose fingerprints had been found on that cavity block would be substantially more interesting than anyone whose fingerprints were not.

None were, btw - apparently the surface doesn't take prints well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,103 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was talk of it being re-examined with more modern techniques to look for forensics, but that's gone quiet.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I think it's not a surprise to anybody to think and say that this crime will never be solved.

It will be subject to many speculations and people with commercial interest, writing books, filming documentaries, etc…

How many books have been published so far?

We have two documentaries by now, correct? One by Sky, one by Netflix? Isn't Sheridan doing another one?

Yes quite probable we will never get any clear outcome.

The next one from Jim Sheridan will be a docu-drama with reconstructions and a cast has been put together to play the main participants... not sure how I feel about that tbh.

https://m.imdb.com/news/ni64080798/

• Advertisement

I'll watch it, though….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Xander10

I think he has a genuine interest in the case, posters here do, so why not him - but it is filtered through a professional prism.

What can he really do? Make money. Speak about the stories and theories we also have. Raise a couple of unanswered questions? (Let's remember, he also has no evidence as well….)

Yes, that's a good summary.

He is also bringing in some experts to re-examine evidence e.g. the autopsy, the crime scene reports.

Understood, but there won't be anything new.

Just the usual, maybe this is true, maybe it's not…… kind of thing.

There might be some 'new' angles or questions but unlikely to be any slam dunks so even more debateable fuel for the fire...

The night of the murder, exclusive story, what "really" happened, etc….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Part of it is supposedly based on the classic film "Twelve Angry Men". The story of a jury deciding the fate of a youth charged with murder. All bar one have decided he is guilty based on various prejudices and influences and dodgy evidence, the one played by Henry Fonda has a reasonable doubt, so a unanimous verdict can't be reached. He questions all the witness statements and one by one the other eleven change their minds and a unanimous not guilty verdict is returned. The jury in Sheridan's film is deciding if Ian Bailey is guilty beyond reasonable doubt of the murder of Sophie Toscan Du Plantier.

Coincidentally I believe it was the film Alfie and Shirley watched on TV the evening before Sophie was murdered.

Edited, after a reminder from Monkie Socks (post 7194 below)

The film Alfie and Shirley watched on Sunday evening on TV was "A Few Good Men" apologies.

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

One thing is for sure, Sheridan is going to make money out of it and try and spin every angle possible, the truth is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

I've seen the movie. It's a good one.

That's the sad part, - like all those books written about that. No real help to clear the matter up, no new facts, just the same blabber and hints that something "may have happened" apparently nobody thought about….

If they had any courage, they would write books or film movies about how the French judiciary sentenced a man for murder in absentia without any real evidence.

Probably nobody has the courage to do that.

Post edited by tinytobe on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

12 Angry Men

Coincidentally I believe it was the film Alfie and Shirley watched on TV the evening before Sophie was murdered.

Where did you hear that?

Was it on video, or was on the irish Tv Stations or the British ones

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Apologies I misremembered, the film they watched was "A Few Good Men".

I can't recall where I read it, some timeline or other- maybe Crimeguy, a bit of Googling should find it.

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerry_man15

Possibly retrieving drugs from the nearby shed (the one Sophie originally though was hers). To me this seems like most likely scenario. And given Leo Bolger and Alfie Lyons were involved in the drug scene (with Bolger busted for a large growing operation some years later) I was always more suspicious of them than Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Mackinac

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Mackinac

I don’t believe Jim Sheridan’s motivation in this is money at all, I think he genuinely wants to pursue the truth. Ireland doesn’t have a good history with coverups, maybe there is another one here.

It's hard to say. He most likely won't do it for free.

It's great to see good old Irish begrudgery still alive and thriving, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Whatever about it being them the drugs angle is very likely. A stash hidden here has much going for it, disputed shed ownership if found by the Gardai, several potential owners, remote and protected from casual discovery, cover in that suspicion would fall on the nearest local person with drugs involvement. It also was just before Christmas a busy time for them and the house next door rarely occupied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Couldn't just hide the drugs in anywhere in West Cork? Has to be a shed that someone would eventually find...

Advertisement