Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster v Leinster, 18/05/24, 7:35pm, Ravenhill. Match thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster should have gone for the points earlier to get a four points lead. They're going for the try bonus when they really don't need one.

A regulation win puts them top of the table on points difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The backline 10 years ago was light years ahead of todays version - creaitivly - anytime I watch them now they are not creative. Pack is better, not backs

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rugbyf565

it still amazes me that Cooney was never picked for Ireland, one of the best box kickers in the country

Yep.

Killed ourselves with poor decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭A-Train

Well did their best to hand the match to Ulster and they just did.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

That's a very soft penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Our second team always bottle so many of these key games

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭murtyd17

Balls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭A-Train

Well that’s Leinster absolutely rubber ducked for next week. Absolutely no momentum going into a final once again.
    Leo will never learn. Looking like a hat trick of final losses and finished in the URC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Huge win for Murphy's project tbf. Exactly what the doctor ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Leinster only have themselves to blame for that. Got away with it in the first half.

Braindead decision making by Leinster near the end.

Harry Byrne and Luke put in easily the worst 9-10 showing for many years.

Well done Ulster, they earned it and maybe should have won by more.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Weird game. Ulster were the better side, but the whole game hinged on Harry Byrne gifting us 7.
    If Leinster had scored there you’d have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Have to feel happy for Ulster there. Murphy seems to have turned things around a little bit (at least for the time being) - with some strong performances from youth.

Very disappointed to lose twice this season to such a poor Ulster side.

Decision making in the final and the knockouts needs to be so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭ironingbored

McGrath was woeful. Play the f***ing ball instead of joing the ruck. Takes a step every goddam time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭LostArt

Intercept try changed the game. Byrne and MgGrath were poor and the injuries and reshuffling didn't help, but momentum swung a bit back to Ulster with that try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Well done Ulster, well deserved. Superb kick by Cooney to win it. Managed the game better and delighted for Murphy to get another win under his belt. Lots of talent up there.

Leinster will be kicking themselves not to take the 3 earlier. Luke McGrath, Harry Byrne and Russell were all poor. On a plus side Connors, Keenan and Ryan all played well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well, 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13 will all be different next week tbf.

But I do hope Leinster would have something a bit more pro-active in attack from midfield. If they keep box kicking it to Toulouse like they did tonight, a certain Mr. Dupont will get his hands on a lot of ball, which is exactly what you don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Gifting you 7 directly but more indirectly.

Ulster were unlucky in the first half with at least one of those disallowed tries.

If Leinster won today with that performance, I'd be calling the PSNI and reporting a theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Did he not have a "difference of opinion" with Schmidt? Similar to Seán Cronin.

Yeah, credit to Ulster, they were good, and this will be a great win for them in terms of Murphy building things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Lol what are you on about.... Our second string lost to Ulster. Don't worry, it's not the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

So much wrong there. Decision to go for the corner was woeful and that was the kind of thing I would have thought the new coach would have stamped out in close games. That said, the penalty given on the line, the Ulster jackler isnt supporting his own weight. Thats petty though. Ulster deserved the win.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pretty much what they did against Northampton with that 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭hold my beer

McGrath's box kicks were shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Not sure Sean Cronin was strong enough in the set piece to be fair. Great impact sub though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Utter nonsense. Nothing from that match rolls into the weekend presuming none of those who will play next week took knocks.

Also, finished in the URC is ridiculous. I'd be shocked if they are anything but favourites to win the competition going into the knockouts, even if they're 4th seed. They can wipe the floor with any side in the tournament on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Cooney's lack of caps over the years is a scandal.

• Advertisement

Leinster's strongest 23 is the best in the league and I've no doubt they can win away in a potential semi final and final. But the South Africa tour and after has shown that there are weaknesses the further down the depth chart we go.

If Leinster are to get to the league final they'll need to select the same players for the next five fixtures in a row. Which brings its own issues of fatigue and potential injury risks.

Advertisement