Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭hold my beer

There's a match thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lonester99

jesus luke Mcgrath is garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Another Stellar Luke McGrath performance

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lonester99

Outside the starting ireland team this leinster squad is garbage lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭KH25

That was shocking. Some absolutely brain dead decisions in that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Decision making needs to be so much better next weekend.

Leinster had enough ball in the second half to kick their points and put the game beyond a score and Ulster wouldn't have had the opportunity to steal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Luke and Harry shouldn't get near a 23 again unless there's an injury or we're resting players in a meaningless game. They were absolutely brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭A-Train

McGrath is finished and Harry Byrne should be cut loose. He will never push on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I'd be more inclined to skip them and go for Foley/Prendergast. Give youth a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭conquestscarer

Every week it seems to be said that McGrath had a shocker. He isn't up to the standard and we will lose next week if JGP gets injured in the first half 100%. He should consider moving to 7 because he seems to hit more rucks than doing the simple job of picking up the ball and passing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, there's nothing particularly shocking about his performances lately. They're consistently at the low standard he's set for himself.

I don't think anyone should be worried about this result affecting Leinster next weekend. The side isn't that fragile. If they were then they wouldn't have beaten La Rochelle twice this year.

Toulouse may well win, but it won't be due to a loss of momentum from this weekend or anything like that. They're a fantastic team who'll put us under so much pressure.

Keenan and Connors were our best players tonight. I'd start both next weekend on a 6-2 split.

Ryan got through a pile of work and it was fantastic that he played the full 80. But I think I'd start Jenkins next weekend and being Ryan on after 50/60 minutes. The former is in great form.

Our backs seem to be dropping like flies, I would probably go 5-3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Standards have dropped. There's no denying it. JN has not bought much in. Leinster have topped the table year after year and this season...

Leinster don't look nearly as good even with the Premier players starting. Shocking loss and display today.

Congrats Ulster.

We've beaten La Rochelle home and away this season after losing a semi-final and two finals to them previously. Of course Nienaber has brought in a lot.

We've seen a drop in performance from our rotated sides. That's solely down to the departure of Lancaster, but I think we all knew that would happen. His main strengths were developing a playing and coaching structure that was implemented at every level. The academy players all knew the systems and they slotted in to the senior team when called upon.

I think we're trading off the well drilled nature of the entire squad for bigger performances from the starting 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Wild thing is that Harry looked the in form 10 heading into the first CC knockout match.

His play has fallen apart since then.

Great argument for 6-2 to not have him near the side.

Feel it is too late for Foley to push for a final bench spot but didnt do himself any harm

La Rochelle are no great shakes. It's chasing shadows thinking that beating last year's champions means anything.

LaR are fairly gash this year! There's a better side comingup next week, and I'd prefer if it was LaR. We've lost 5 in the league, crawled over the line v Connacht and nearly blew the match v Saints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

I thought we lost a lot when Ngati went off. Not overly upset about the loss tho as we'll 5 point Connaught. Ryan played well on return as did Hugo.

Foley better option than Luke now but he was a solid performer in years gone by too so let's not **** all over him. It's the management that pick the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

well you don’t put any stock in beating the current premiership leaders either so we’re working off a pretty small sample size here

Losing these games is frustrating, but I don't think it's that big a deal in the long run either. We've a great 23/26 players who can beat anyone home or away.

I certainly wouldn't go talking down the victories over La Rochelle either. Especially the one in France. That was a massive deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Lost 5 in the league and every single one Leinster rested a huge proportion of the first team.

Connacht win was the same, a complete shadow side.

Agreed! But..... I think in the past we win these matches. I feel like there's a drop off this year.

Looking at Ngati's try, he looks like he's injured as he's running the ball in.

That's kind of the point. The Leinster first team has not much of a track record of late. Two matches, against a mediocre La Rochelle and a good Northampton team who decided to knock on 87 times in the first half and dominate Leinster in the second is nothing to build any kind of confidence in the side off

I seem to remember you pooh-poohing the idea that Leinster wouldn't steamroll Northampton risible. Maybe you now put stock in that narrow victory.

They could well overturn Toulouse. They might even win the URC. I wouldn't put any money on either though.

Anyway. Next week is the big one. I think we'll do it. I know there are still some reservations about our rush defence, but I've seen enough in our games against La Rochelle and Northampton to be relatively confident we can cope with Toulouse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Leinster are 100% worse this year than last. But they beat Toulouse handily last year so there is some buffer room there. Let's see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭conquestscarer

I don't know, we arent as clinical but I think our team could be set up better for knockouts. We learnt the last couple years that you can't go out in finals and just score 70 points. I think our defence is a lot better this year and last year we were playing an outdated system on that side of the ball.

Advertisement