Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200

Options
  • 24-04-2024 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all

I've been offered an entry to this but am dubious whether I'd be able for it or not... would anyone have the strava route for it please..

I've tried searching for it but all i can find is the older route for it..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Theres a veloviewer route and a downloadable GPX that you can upload to Strava or Garmin etc and create your own route

https://wicklow200.ie/wicklow200/

https://veloviewer.com/routes/3187350342388046796?a=1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's a 100 as well which you could do. The 200 route is tough, lots of hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Haven't posted anything in a while and apologies if I'm nhijacking this thread. I'm entered for the wicklow 200. The website says the spin has start time of 7am and a finish time of 6pm. Does anybody know if you can start before the official 7am start time. Another question - would you still get a medal if your finish time was after 6pm? Cheers Grouchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

If you're registered you can start whenever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Unofficially, you can start any time (public roads) but there will be no support etc. outside of the official hours. Also, if you start very early, the first food stop may not be open when you get there. If you finish after 6pm, there will be no one at the finish giving out medals.

• Advertisement

Thanks WA. I'm confident that I can do the course. But I don't think I would do it within 11 hours (allowing for breaks). And although completing the spin is the important thing to me, it's nice to get the medal too.👍

I generally don't take sportive medals but I'll take it and can send it to you if you don't get one. (That's assuming I get around without incident!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

How long would it take to complete the 200? I think of 25km/h average, that's 8 hours without any stops. 9-10 hours in the saddle is a long day and I carry 92 kgs plus bike along. I did 160k solo and 200k in a group. If it's a decent day, it might be ok but I can't see myself chugging away on a rainy day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i arrived after 6 last year as they were taking down all the gear. I just about got a medal. I think it was by chance only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

But at least you made it! The sense of achievement is worth lot more.

I have to make my mind up soon, that 3500 m elevation looks plenty when you're on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

Leave at 7am and get back around 5pm. My advice, treat it as a day of touring and don't look at the clock. Way more enjoyable doing it that way. The first time I did the W200 I tried to chase a time all day and it's just way too long a day to be dealing with that sort of nonsense. Also take it easy for the first 100k - taking on the backend of the W200 with empty legs is a horrible experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree about pacing yourself. If you do the first half too fast you might suffer in the last 25km. It's like a marathon where you hit the wall and bonk. It's not a race. It's all about enjoyment so don't get caught up in an adrenaline at the start and try and keep up with faster cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 OnTheCorner

I’ve signed up for the 100 with a colleague and his mate. Do you have to pick up your pack at the cycle superstore the day before? I thought you could just sign on on the day of before? Or am I misremembering? It says you can do it on Sunday but between 5.30 and 6.30 but as we’re only doing the 100 we won’t be there that early.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DrumcDub1

I have a discounted entry if anyone is after one!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Did they change the route? Looks like its down the main road to Baltinglass / Hacketstown now? I think it was previously the quiet road into Donard and over Glen of Imaal?

They changed it all right. Got an email a week or so ago. No reason given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 casse121

If anyone has an entry that they are not using I'd love to take it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Could be road condition or road resurfacing. Not sure what it was like last year, but when I did that road a couple of years ago it was very broken up in spots.

I’ve done a bit of cycling in Wicklow recently. Made three separate trips. Two of those were to do the 100km loop and the third was a loop starting and finishing in Laragh which brought me over the Slieve Mann and Shay Elliot.

Based on these three spins I reckon it’ll take me about 13 hours to do the 200kms. Add in one hour for stops (it’ll probably be more in reality) I’m looking at 14 hours all in. hope to be on the road by 5.45 which I estimate will help me make the cut-offs.

Based on my two previous spins I’d expect I’ll be past the Sally Gap cut off by 8 am ish and including the Valleymount stop I should make Hollywood by the cut off.

I’d reach the Valleymount food stop after 68 Kms which would be at about 10 am (I expect the food stop is open at that stage). Give the stop about 30 mins and all going well I’ll make Hollywood by 11am. The Hollywood to Laragh section is the section that will make or break me. It’s about 85 kms in length and includes the two big climbs. This will take me I reckon about 5.25 hours to do. So, If I’m leaving Hollywood at about 11am I would hope to make Laragh at about 4.15. With a bit of luck, the food stop would still be open at that stage. But if it isn’t I’ll use the local shops.

Half an hour for food in Laragh and I’ll be heading back to Bray at about 4.45. Based on my previous two trips from Laragh back to Bray and the days cycling already done, it’s going to take me the guts of 3 hours to finish meaning that I should be back in Bray about 7.45. A long day but hopefully achievable. I have the legs for the distance it’s the elevation that will kill me.

Also, I’m not a great descender. Based on what I’ve done before my speed going downhill will be about 35 kms an hour and it will be less on the Slieve Mann and Shay Elliott as I’ll go slower to take the bends in the road.

Many thanks WA for the offer of taking a medal for me, but there's no need, I’ll be chuffed enough if I finish it. I’ll have it on Strava.

Best of luck to everyone taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Friend has a ticket for the 200 going if anybody is looking.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify - is the route on their web page incorrect or has it been updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maryemmas

I am looking for a spare ticket for this year for a friend if anyone knows!

I think the ridewithgps link has the updated map.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maryemmas

• Registered Users Posts: 37 werenotthere

What's the story with parking at it? Will the spaces in the gaa club fill up early?

The strava route on the website was updated. I am not doing the event on Sunday as these are all my local roads but I did fancy riding it with some mates on the Saturday instead.

Previous route into Donard was a nicer route with less traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hollowlands

The new strava route they've uploaded seems to have been saved as a running route. Not sure if this will have any effect when uploading it to bike computers, as in with showing climb profiles etc.

Yeah, I saw that. I just saved/renamed the route onto my strava and it allowed me change the route from running to cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hollowlands

I tried that, but when I changed it, it added 12km on to the route. Probably because of road surface. Maybe I did something weird, must try it again.

• Advertisement

Same with me, when I changed to "Ride" it changed the route.

Advertisement