Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,128 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

one thing I will say tho, while I think fury could beat usyk in a rematch with different tactics I think a fight against aj is closer than I thought before his punch resistance isn't there any more it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭reclose

Did he ever have great punch resistance though? He has been down a good few times before Wilder.

I am disappointed he lost but you claiming bias when you scored it so one sided is nonsense, you are just delighted usyk won.

I'm not interested in arm chair scores when the official score cards are there to see.

Also fury needs his old man out of his corner, sugar must have been ready to blow!

he had but not flailing around like he was in the 9th and usyk isn't a big puncher at hw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,508 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Said it many times. Fury been rocked/dropped and wobbled several times. He does not take a good shot. Yes, he has gotten up, but good shots really have affected him.

His offense last night was weak, inconsistent and sloppy. Yes, he had moments, and he did bother Usyk, but never badly bothered him, and could not sustain his success. Usyk, as he always does, adjusts, adapts and resets

So if you’re not interested in armchair scores, why question mine? If I give you 115-112 (which I have agreed is fine), and I could score it that on second viewing, would that score not be a nonsense?

Friend a mine, Fury fan had Usyk 98-91 I think after 10 rds.

Even forgetting 10-9 must system. 36 mins last night, and anyone who doesn’t see Usyk as a clear winner hasn’t a scooby, or is just too far up Fury’s hole

so the professional judges haven't a scooby? You are putting yourself in the same category as the lads wondering why the ref counted in the 9th 😂

I'm questioning yours are you are a self appointed expert

I was the first one to explain the referee was right in rd 9

Yes, anyone scoring the fight for Fury (pro judges) included haven’t a scooby. No way he won it. And, on this I am very much in the majority.

Have a beer, Cyrus and enjoy last day PL, drowning in pity..🤪

as I said I had it a draw, enjoy your day Walshb you must have gone to town on yourself when the score cards came in, at least you've dropped the false veneer of looking at it objectively your hate for fury shines like a beacon.

• Advertisement

I never hid my dislike of Fury, the person. I think he’s a twat.

On boxing: never sold on him being great. And not sold now.

Hate is a ridiculous way to describe it. But that’s your word, not mine.

it's not really, your post history would support it, but one thing we can agree on unless he wins the rematch his legacy will not have him as a great, usyk has cemented his though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Fair enough, I had Haye saying afterwards that either ref should have stopped fight or allowed Usyk to continue without interference. if he had allowed Usyk to continue the fight was over in the 9th.

A great fight btw, I think Usyk deserved the decision and I thought maybe by 1or 2. So the 10-8 9th was the difference.

To be fair even boxers can see fight differently, In Fury's Ngannou fight Froch thought he lost while L Lewis said he defo won. But last night I didn't hear any boxer/expert give it to Fury only a draw at best. Admittedly I didn't hear it on Sky only the other 2.

basis what we saw there fury would need a change in tactics, and given usyk knows now he can hurt him aswell id make usyk a warm favorite.

That said if fury had pressed more in the middle rounds when he had some success maybe he could have hurt usyk. Fury needs to be more Wilder 2 but easier said than done against an elite mover.

I'd be surprised but not shocked if fury could win the rematch.

that was strange from haye he should know better!

Yeah to me it was so tight a draw was how I had it but the 10-8 made all the difference and maybe it should in a tight fight.

Saw good close up of shot in 9th that rocked Fury. Was a looping left hook. Was heavy enough. Usyk no puncher, but it landed clean and heavy..

Yes. Good analysis. As I said, Fury had success, but could not sustain it. Now, partly because he lacked the offensive drive, and partly because Usyk is so good at reacting and adjusting.

Fury did rock him alright in that middle round, I thought Usyk was in massive trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭GHendrix

The rematch is a tricky one for Fury. He had Usyk in big, big trouble last night. He should have stepped on the gas when he did.

It’s difficult to understand why he didn’t. Maybe he was too comfortable and thought he’d keep having success. Maybe he thought he’d gas.

Does he use the same tactics again and try to keep better concentration to avoid getting hit? Or does he step it up more if he hurts Usyk? Or, does he use completely different tactics?

Him and his team need to review what happened after the mid point because he was very comfortable up to that point.

• Advertisement

When Usyk caught Fury on the nose in the 8th you could see he was in a bit of distress and the tide had turned.

He was down on most peoples cards after 6-7 rds. How is that very comfortable? Comfortable as in I’m being competive here?

Judges cards after 7 completed rds..anyone have scores?

Ok, after 7 he was ahead on all cards. I had it 5-2, 4-3 Usyk

first 3 rounds were very tight with not a whole lot happening, feel out rounds, usyk a bit busier. from 4-7 fury looked to me to be taking control, having success and unconcerned about what was coming back, if that continues it looks like a fury stoppage (at that point)

For me, and what I think, when rds are difficult to score, with not much landing, I would nearly always side with the boxer pressing the fight and controlling the action. I would think pro judges same. Hence my card having Usyk ahead. Had it been Fury on front-foot pressing, I’d have him ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Loved it, fury didn't have enough to stop usyk coming forward and usyks engine made the difference, just never stops, delighted for the poor feckers in ukraine, bring on the rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I was scoring that 116-113 but with the 8 112. A competitive fight but a very clear win for Usyk. It being a split was a joke. I’ve always liked fury he’s been a prick this fight and got what he deserved. Usyk won that more convincingly than the joshua fights. See he has a broken jaw himself. Double hard bastid

you mean 116-111? Or maybe you had some drawn rds?

I mentioned same as regards Usyk winning last night cleaner than fight 2 v AJ. Didn’t get agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭GHendrix

I have to be honest, I never thought Usyk looked in any real danger against AJ. There was maybe 1 round of the 24 were he took some decent shots but still largely comfortable.

At the end of round 6 last night he was hurt, looked tired, heavy breathing and starting to panic. Fury looked really comfortable. I think Usyk even had a broken jaw.

I think Usyk sensed a loss was coming and really let his hands go. And Fury gave him that chance by remaining too much on the back foot.

Ultimately it was 1 punch and 2 great rounds that won it for Usyk. But it was small details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,782 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Usyk won a good vlose fight , it was as close as you can get

Basically a one round fight for 2 judges

Bar the 9th , the rounds Fury won where by a clearly margin , Let's not pretend the didn't give Usyk his hardest fight yet at HW,

I think both men can perform better,

• Advertisement

Let’s not forget a far smaller man gave “no man born from his mother” his first loss.

Usyk gets extra kudos for overcoming clear physical disadvantages.

Advertisement