Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Don't forget about the disconnect at the end-user level where they are left with these devices and little or no understanding around how to optimise the units. Look at the historical questions on here as examples. The jump from gas/oil/electric isn't a 'straight conversion' for the simple customer as they don't understand how to manage the COP and the multitude of factors which influence it on a day-to-day basis.

Plus as many of us come from a past where heating was mainly demand-based and hence there was some reasonable control over the cost, moving to having an always-on heating system in a poorly executed retrofit was always going to cause some problems, especially if the focus of the refit was on insulation and no element of airtightness.

In the UK they have the likes of HeatGeek who are serving to educate both the installers and end-users, but we don't appear to have the equivalent promoters/educators here yet.

Out of interest do you care to identify as to which segment of the industry you work in?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Oversizing is also just as bad as undersizing.

Heat Geek are a great resource, and not just for heat pumps, a lot of their advice can be applied to other heating systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

It seems people are watching a bit too much targeted Youtube... All middle ages men, same target audience

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

https://archive.is/14fax

Not 'some heat pumps', not 'a number of heat pumps'. Thousands. Imagine the scandal if this were smart meters, or EVs, or petrol pumps, or checkout tills etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So who are you OP? you know the proper way to copy and paste from an article online is to acknowledge the source and if you have any interest to declare it…

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

I've had a heat pump for five years. I read the article the OP copy and pasted above. No problems with ours. I didn't know about the "back-up electric immersion heater". The immersion is scheduled to run once a week to prevent legionnaires but that's different.

The article states the core problem is undersizing, something I pointed out a few posts back. Installing a HP which has say a max mains consumption of 5kw, on the understanding that it has a cop of 3.5 and will supply 17.5 kw of heat, only to find the cop refers to much lower input and output, maybe 3kw in will give 10.5 out in ideal conditions, but less as the flow heats up. This lower output will be very slow to heat a cold house from the off, so the heatpump moves into its inefficient part of its transfer curve. Worse, it invokes a straight heating element as described in the article, no cop there. 3kw in, 3kw out. A much larger hp will stay in its sweet spot and allow for high outout burst demand, but such a beast is enormous, expensive, and capable of bankrupting you if it too goes into inefficient mode for the variety of reasons mentioned.

I personally think heatpumps should only be a hybrid addition to a standard heating system, a small 2.5kw system running only ever at low temperature and modest Cop would offset quite a lot of fossil usage. I posted such an innovative Dutch model back in this thread, ideal for older and difficult to retrofit houses. Ordinary houses in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Good video here poorly sized heat pump installation. From YouTube videos and the heat pump installation cost thread here, oversizing seems a much more common error than undersizing.

In short doing an install without proper heat loss calcs is the problem. Under or over sizing is a symptom not a cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you appear to not understand how heatpumps work, so you want people to oversize them just so they can use it like a gas boiler? There's no need for high burst demand if you are using it properly

Not to mention even that condensing gas boiler installs can often be incorrectly done. My own house the plumber set the flow temp to over 70 degrees.

• Advertisement

it turns out that heat pumps trigger the same reactions as evs…

Not every house can be economically left at a comfortable temperature 24/7. The prerequisite for a 'proper' heat pump system is a home which is virtually passive A rated insulation, vast radiators or UFH, heat exchange ventilation etc. All the enthusiast claims for heatpumps are based on this. I would love if all homes would or could get this treatment. The reduction in oil and gas usage would be so great that we'd meet our carbon targets, you wouldn't need a hp.

It might not then be be necessary to burn gas at only 30% efficiency in a power station in order to supply the electricity to power these heatpumps, particularly the ones in normal homes with normal heating installations, which require higher water flow temperatures to bring the home up to heat when the householders return. Demanding higher flow temperature from a heatpump greater than its COP sweet spot immediately reduces its cop gain to fractional figures. It makes no sense to burn 10kw of gas to get 3kw to your hp for an output of maybe 4.5 to 5kw, because the higher COP sweetspot of your small hp will take all night to warm your home. A larger heatpump at least will get you the cop part to make the figures look reasonable. Spending €25k on a suitability sized hp for an 80s built bungalow or large house is a huge commitment, but you really need the extra €80-100k of retrofit to walls, windows, floors, ceiling and plumbing to make the home heatpump friendly, then you can coast along 24/7 on a fraction of the energy, but not gas or oil, as you won't get the retrofit grants unless you heatpump up.

Post edited by deezell on

I'd agree a heatpump without the correct upgrades to insulation and rad sizes etc is folly, is there a suggestion somewhere that it isn't and you should just plop a heatpump into a d rated house?

Nobody is saying drop a hp into an uninsulated house. That's why for a hp retrofit grant you need a suitable Heat Loss Indicator score. The scenario you persist with cannot happen with a grant aided upgrade.

Now that 80s bungalows have been mentioned a mod here has dropped in a hp to replace an oil boiler. The Heat Geek fella dropped one into his own uninsulated 1920s house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I suspect several of the houses with bad heat pump installations probably got some new windows and attic insulation and that was it as far as upgrades go

There were probably several very optimistic figures put in for the existing insulation and air tightness which didn't account for aging or mistakes during construction

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Not sure air tightness can be gamed, afaik a blower test needs to be done. I needed BER only for grants and your man was very thorough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I would have to pay ESB 2,000 whole quids just to get the import capacity for a heat pump. Then I'd have to get a new fuse board. For now I think I'll just stick to praying that the auld kerosene boiler won't pack up

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Really?

My 12kW heatpump is it's output, it's input is only about 3-3.5kW max,

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

12kVA MIC ⇒ 336kWh per day or 123MWh per year. Average Irish house uses just 3MWh per year. A heat pump and a couple of EVs in an electric only home would make the house use maybe 15-25MWh per year, so more than plenty

The main problem with a 12kVA connection is that you can't charge / run everything at the same time

Post edited by unkel on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

Yeah, that's the same as 1 large electric rad, or 2 small ones. Or the same as the immersion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I'd guess most houses should be able to run a heat pump without upgrading the import capacity. That said if "everyone" was to get a heat pump (say within a decade) not sure where all that power would come from. Course if you have an EV charging, a 9Kw electric shower, etc all running off your 65A supply…….yeah I can see "trouble at mill". :-)

What's your typical heat pump consume per day…20-30Kwhr/day or something? If a million homes migrated to HP's over the next decade or so, that's a lot of power gonna be needed!

@bullit_dodger "If a million homes migrated to HP's over the next decade or so, that's a lot of power gonna be needed!"

And not just homes, all buildings. And pretty much all transport will be electrified over the next few decades. So we will get a steady increase in electricity demand by maybe 15-20% per year for several decades to come. This is quite predictable though and ESBn can slowly work towards it. We need a lot more renewables and battery storage and interconnectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

A lot of wind farms are in the works, unfortunately nimbyism and general thickness are delaying some of these projects or knocking them on the head completely. Only in the past week an board pleanala - rightly or wrongly - put stop to two separate wind farm developments.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Indeed. And the good nimby people of Middleton already got climate change karma biting them in the ass with their recent local floods

People even objected to relatively small scale solar PV farms in the last week or two, you couldn't make it up

A lot if that is looking for go away money, like that disgusting obese lardarse in Galway with his fake environmental watchdog companies, seeking judicial reviews on everything.

That should not be entertained, it is bribery / blackmail. Even if there is nothing legally that can't be done about it, it should be exposed. Like it was with the Galway lardarse

that usage is for maybe 30 percent of the year, during the summer it's a few kwh per day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭paulbok

I read somewhere a couple of years ago, that if everyone makes the move to EVs, we'd need to double our generation, and the same again for heat pumps. That's before any new developments or data centers are built. Networks are going to have their work cut out improving the capacity of the grid to carry all this power, assuming it can all be generated on the first place. We've already seen the problems they ran into with a couple of new interconnectors recently.

The government may regret removing the grant towards batteries. Mandating that all PV systems have some storage would help towards generation load balancing especially in the winter, charge at night, use during the day.

EVs will do wonders for stabilising the grid as they are predominantly charged up at night when we often have too much renewable electricity.

This will get even better when V2G becomes possible, then they can be used as "peaker plants" doing us all a big favour, saving the government from spending a fortune on grid batteries and interconnectors and making the owners some serious money. The holy grail. For me this development was all going far too slow, so I have installed a large home battery, 80kWh. Not cheap of course, but I expect to be well rewarded for it.

• Advertisement

Going full 100% Renewable will require massive storage. Domestic and industrial, to smooth out the troughs in wind/solar supply. On a global scale, this amount of batteries would require the entire world's mining capacity just for the battery minerals and metals. Current batteries are not the solution. Until there is a quantum level discovery in science and technology, perhaps something derived by artificial intelligence in the near future, we are still in the fossil fuel age. If we must burn gas, burn it efficiently in homes, not inefficiently to charge EVs and power Heat pumps.

Advertisement