Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Party

Comments

• How many violent crimes have been committed by members of the National Party over the past year?

I'm not asking this question to "downplay" any crime, but to show how few in number they are, and how there are far bigger threats to people in this country than a couple of National Party nutjobs. When any crime does occur, it's as unjustifiable as any other crime — not that this should even need to be said.

It's about context and perspective — not "defending" or "downplaying" or "whataboutery".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I have no idea. However off the top of my head. There's at least one far right individual currently up on murder charges. Earlier in the thread, a local election candidate for the freedom party iirc was up on charges for arson. So just because the national party themselves hasn't directly harmed a person as of late, does not mean that their rhetoric isn't dangerous.

Let's also remember that these same groups actively spread misinformation to try to egg on things like riots. We've had @Beechwoodspark try to perpetuate a hoax about a kidnapping of a child and it wasn't even the only hoax of that kind that week.

So just because they haven't done anything violent does not mean they aren't egging it on. Earlier in the thread you got offended cause somebody Malachy Stevenson's assassination attempt was in quotes cause it wasn't actually an assassination attempt. But you won't say a word about mock gallows for politicians(Steenson justified it), the library staff that get harassed by these types etc.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It absolutely is about all of that. You've spent half the thread trying to downplay the national party, trying to deflect from issues about the national party and trying to deny they are problematic. You even found a way to praise them too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• No, you are twisting and distorting my words and intentions to fit a dishonest narrative.

• Advertisement

• Provide a quote where I actively "praised" them. Allegations like that need to be backed up with evidence.

It's worth defining what we mean by praise:

express warm approval or admiration of.

I look forward to seeing that quote. Otherwise a retraction may be warranted.

Not at all. In this thread you consistently engage in denial, deflection and downplay.

Someone discussed the national party - you chose to discuss something other than the national party - deflection

Someone discussed the national party as a threat you tried to paint their electoral prospects as the only framework in which they could be considered a threat- downplay/denial

Almost all of your posts can be summarised as

"Whatabout this"… deflection

"Look over here at"... deflection, downplay

"Oh 1% isn't a threat"… denial, deflection, downplay

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Twisting and distorting words is an interesting claim from someone who has a quote in their signature that is not from Orwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

True, I haven't seen you praise them, but, whether it is your intention or not, it comes across that you seem to agree with some of their views. You said earlier there is hysteria and a manufactured inflation of violence by the far right, but you could also say the same about people referencing crime by immigrants. What percentage of crime commited in the country is by immigrants

This is where you should be referencing what percentage of the current prison population are non nationals to try and back up your argument . I would like to believe that the vast majority of immigrants that come here do not commit crime- much like the tens of thousands Irish people that went to other countries to live.

"However, they at least shine a light on an important issue — namely, murders recently committed by immigrants in this country. That is not a non-issue, however much I disagree with how they react (such as the Dublin riots). We had the homophobic Sligo murders; we had the senseless murder of Aisling Murphy; and we had the crazed attempted murders of children on Parnell Street (all in the space of 2-3 years)."

This is while ignoring the fact they egg on violence.… In fact, you seem to want to pretend there's no growing issue of arson and violence from the far right. This includes murder fyi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You certainly did downplay them by claiming they were only respinsible for a small percentage if the total number of assaults nationally becausecl you told us the threat was 'hysterically exaggerated' (your exact words).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

David Lawler and Larry Murphy attended the same school. They sat in the same classroom. Based on your argument everyone who attended that school is a danger to society.

Justin Barrett was actively egging on the riots. So no, I don't think your logic follows at all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Isn't that 'hysterically inflated' tactic exactly what you did in relation to crimes carried out by immigrants?

• Under no stretch of the definition can this quote be described as "praising" the National Party.

It's saying that whilst the party might at times express legitimate concerns, the means and manner through which they hope to solve those concerns is misguided.

Several other posters have already conceded that I never praised the party. I have many times described them as nutjobs, clowns, and other pejorative terms.

In other words, you're flogging a dead horse here; attempting to squeeze a false interpretation of my words into an equally false narrative.

• No, the statistics I harvested from German data show the ratio is approximately 1:80; that for every far-right crime in the country, there were 80 violent crimes by migrants.

When no time is spent discussing the latter crime, but all the focus is on the threat of the 1 in that ratio; it absolutely suggests a disproportionate inflation of far-right crime risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"What about...." -ery.

Plenty of time is spent discussing it. There are several threads about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What does your data harvested from Germany show you about crimes by migrants vs crimes by non-migrants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

just a quick reply to say I certainly did not “try to perpetuate a hoax”.

I mentioned Gav Pepper’s interview with 3 witnesses to an incident of attempted child abduction - Gav and the witnesses said that, (not me) and personally I do not believe it was a hoax - I find them believable.

The video is available on Gav Pepper’s Twitter feed. Make your own minds up as always, I post for open minded readers to consider and not for the usual suspects who respond with diatribes and insults.

For whatever reason 80sbaccy is angry that ppl like me are considering voting for ppl who are “unacceptable” to him/her - well I have news for you, huge amounts of ppl are rejecting the mainstream candidates and looking for alternatives !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It was completely a hoax, you find the women believable? The one who wouldn't appear on camera was it, or maybe the racist one involved in other rasist videos. Or maybe the fact that noone ever bothered to make a complaint to Gardai about anyone trying to abduct a child….…..

Yes, you did try to perpetuate a hoax. There's no evidence there was a kidnapping attempt.

So why exactly do you find it believable? What fact swayed your mind?

Assuming you approached it with an open mind, of course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Gav Pepper and the witnesses say different - take it up with them not me.

Also - the suspected man was arrested by the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭lmao10

Agreed. They have no credibility whatsoever. What's their excuse for not making a complaint to the Gardai?

I know that after one of the fake rape stories that someone was being prosecuted for wasting gardai time so it's a bit suspect that no complaint was made to say the least.

He wasn't arrested for an attempted kidnapping. Gavin Pepper and his witnesses simply aren't trustworthy. Worth remembering as well, the very same week there was already a made up kidnapping by the far right complete with dodgy witnesses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

the witnesses DID NOT say there was an attempted child abduction.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Notmything

Noone was arrested for attempting to abduct a child, someone was arrested for public order offences (drunk).

Did anyone in the video say they witnessed an attempted child abduction and reported it to the Gardai?

If pepper posted a video of himself talking to 3 "witnesses" who saw a UFO land in the park and it's occupants have a picnic without any evidence would you just as easily believe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭lmao10

Only if Pipsqueak Pepper said that the Aliens came to give us advanced technology but had flew off after they saw migrants.

• Advertisement

There we go again. Changing the subject to deflect.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement