Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ya 100% have to agree, the king of the jungle isn't the biggest. Usyk is an animal, Bellew said it before Joshua 1, underestimate this man at your peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its funny that a guy seen this as a completely one sided fight but said Canelo beat GGG in their first fight and clearly beat him in the second fight. If anything GGG was more dominant in the first fight against Canelo than Usyk was last night in his winning rounds.

Personally I had Usyk 115-112. I can understand why some might have given round 3 to Fury to make it 114-113 but I don't think it was close enough for that to be the case.

Is that guy me? You know, the one you put on ignore because you threw your toys out the pram when I dared call Garcia a quitter. Now here you are addressing me slyly to try have a dig.. I don’t have you on ignore. So I’ll quote your nonsense here.

and I scored fight 1 GGG, fight 2 Canelo. At least do your research before posting untruths. And I never said last night was “completely one sided.” Clear win doesn’t necessarily equate to clearly one-sided

Wana meet for an IQ test?😖

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Was competitive but the KD turned it. Had it 115 112 to Usyk myself. Thought Fury messed up playing about in the early rounds. Those rounds were up for grabs if he had been more proactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Also had Usyk winning 115-112…. fancied him all week (easy say that now I know) very underrated imo and always finds a way to win even with massive physical disadvantages.

I think the rematch is an even easier night for Usyk.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭GHendrix

The fight was won and lost between Round 7 and 9. Fury was in a great position to push for a stoppage but he squandered it. He stayed on the back foot and probably thought he’d stay in control.

But Usyk had no intention of quitting and let his hands go and landed a big shot. He then almost got the KO and the fight kind of fizzled out a bit in the last few rounds.

When Fury watches that back I’m sure he’ll be kicking himself. You just don’t move backwards when your opponent is tired and hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Also massive credit to Cacae, didn't fancy him at all but he battered Cordina. A guy I always heard loads of praise about but hadn't seen it myself until last night.

I’ve seen a few people say that about a rematch and I’m genuinely curious why you think the rematch would be easier?

• Advertisement

You think it be harder?

Kind of a vibe here that Fury only lost because he didnt do this, that and other; as opposed to what Usyk did to earn a great win

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Wonder will he have his Dad and Lee in the corner for the rematch ?

Seemed to be a lot of guys giving advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It's a one round fight. It could have gone either way , the rematch is the same

Both guys looked brilliant at times last night Fury Bamboozled Usyk for 2 or 4 rounds in a row & hurt him multiple times with the lead upper cut , Usyk then had Fury in all sort of trouble & nobody would have c9mplained if it was stopped

Both fighters are unbelievable last night Usyk came out on top a rematch is 50/50

I thought he controlled the fight throughout to be honest, Fury is a good fighter with huge physical advantages so he was always going to have his moments in the fight and he definitely put Usyk under pressure at times but Usyk knew that too and knew how to ride it out … suck it up if you like. But there was only one fighter dictating things and that was the new undisputed champion. As someone said earlier Usyk “came on” as they say in the fight game in the later stages of the fight and won the championship rounds, I suppose that’s why I think he wins the rematch more convincingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

yea I think I had 1 and 12 drawn. Thought Fury maybe 11

@walshb you didn’t get agreement from me? I thought it was much clearer than aj 2 and Fury was in worse trouble than in aj 1. If he’d gone down on the canvass there I’m not sure he’d have been fit to get up. He did very well to negate in 10th

me and you in agreement on the AJ 2 win compared to last night’s win

did he win all the championship rounds, not sure that he did

I think that's always the case when a fight is close as it could have gone either way so you tend to question what the loser could have done differently

I think a rematch would still be 50 50. Maybe 55 45 to Usyk. But I certainly wouldn’t be betting big money on that fight!

• Advertisement

Some of the thoughts I’ve had one last night after watching back the entire card.

Fury deserves credit and criticism. He did very well to hang in there in 9 and 10. His tactic of uppercut to head and body was successful. But other than the silly showboating he looked more than uncomfortable in there. He was roundly beaten. It’s very seldom you see a backpeddler winning a big fight. For all the sh1t we gave Joshua Fury had the same fear of gassing and didn’t really go for the win. 3-6 he gave it a bit of a go. Round 7 was the turning point but it’s not as though that big snout shot came from nowhere. John Fury did him no favours. Mouthy clown. He’d do well to leave him at home for the rematch. Sugarhill was a vexed looking man. Couldn’t get a word in without that idiot nonsensing. Fury didn’t go for broke to win, even in the 12th. Interview afterwards was pathetic. His footwork is gone and he is in decline.

Usyk was sensational last night. He put himself in the fire time and time again, wore the leather and backed his reflexes. When he said after Chisora he would become undisputed I sniggered. Well FCUKING done! To think that but for the knockdown 10-8 round he’d have lost or drawn that fight is a disgrace. The rounds he won were almost all crystal clear and the ones you ‘could’ give Fury were more like 10-10s. He was a punch away from ending the fight and was never in anything like the same trouble himself. The guy is an ATG and is the best of this era. Hero.

Wee word on Agit. What a guy!! Brilliant performance. I’m quite excited for what he might bring in the next few years. Sanchez looked far too pumped up and had no stamina. I expected better.

I actually think as well the ref was right to let Fury go on in round 9.

Too big a fight to stop it. Let them go down and stay down.

He was borderline able to go on. Fair enough to give him the chance but he got it tight getting back to his corner. His performance in 10 and 11 was impressive. That could have gone badly wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Id be willing to bet there will be no rematch

Fury has no choice, he must avenge the only man who has beaten him.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Of course he has a choice. You "activate" the rematch clause,it's not mandatory. Naseem Hamed comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Superb fight, had it as a draw myself but in fairness the brilliance of Rd9 from Usyk probably just edged it.

Credit to Usyk, two weight warrior now that beat a man that looked likely to finish undefeated himself.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

I am not saying it is mandatory.

For his own legacy he has no choice.

Yes. But not all. 2 judges gave him 2 of the 3 championship rounds, and one judge gave Fury 2 of the 3 championship rounds.

• Advertisement

For me he did… the last round could go either way but for me he won the fight clearly enough, I would go as far as to say that Usyk was probably expecting a tougher fight.

Fury definitely didn't look himself or as confident in the lead up to this fight, I think he knew Usyk was not only a very good fighter but wasn't easily intimidated .

Advertisement