Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT relief for EV's imported from Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭daarmcd

You state

The resulting OMSP is €46,225.81. 7% of the €46,225.81 is €3,235.81. So, the resulting price of the car is €42,990 plus €3235.81 VRT, which equals €46,225.81.

So the OMSP has vat of €8,224 on it and then has VRT of €3,235.81 on the VAT inclusive amount.

Then if it was an import we would pay VRT on the OMSP which already has the net price x VAT x VRT. Tax on a tax on another tax.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's a common complaint about VRT, you are indeed paying a tax that includes its own value in the calculation. It would be much simpler if it was a simple percentage of the purchase price, but I suspect that structure would have looked too much like an import duty.

The history of VRT is that it was introduced to replace import duties on cars that were imported from other EU countries (banned under single market rules). I'm not trying to justify the tax, I only want to help you understand how it's applied.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Tesla would need to advertise the Model 3 with a purchase price of €40,789.46 for it to have an OMSP of €43,859.64.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bannerman1969

Just looking to confirm.

Looking to buy an EV up North from Main dealer. Car was first registered in N.I and has always been in N.I and has N.I plates.

I know there is no VRT but will there be VAT applicable. Car is a 2021 Leaf.

Is all I pay - the car price converted to Euro ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭daarmcd

There should be no VAT or customs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If the car has more than 6000kms on its odometer, which presumably a 2021 vehicle has.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 robertc4022

hi just after buying ev from nothern ireland .could please help with what documents i need,have revenue letters i printed from revenue site .but nct site said need original will what i have be ok

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

If I remember I had/needed the following:

• filled in VRTVPD2 (link in the email)
    • PPS number, I printed something from the revenue website and it was fine
    • Proof of address (was an original something)
    • Invoice of the car
    • Able to find the vin number on the car

Think that was all I needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭User1998

You are sent a checklist via email when you book the appointment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 marwo

Hi there, i am through same process and preparing. Did your V5c had full 2 pages? On mine 1st page is untouched but 2nd page missing upper part- sections 3-5. Thought its standard as dealer in NI had to send it somewhere but now wonder. Finding different contradicting opinions some saying need full 2 pages other that sections 3-5 related to export to other country are not needed.

Its EV first and only time registered in NI.

I am not sure what you need from it exactly, but I was given the entire second page back from the VRT place so I'm guessing it wasn't needed?

You only need the first page and you don’t need to do anything with the second page

• Registered Users Posts: 5 marwo

Thanks for confirmation. Went to NCT center also and sounds like page nr 1 is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Everyone probably already knows this, but the VIN has to be the one stamped in the bodywork. I got caught out thinking I could just point to the one visible in the windscreen!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Do you need to submit the section about Permanent Export back to the DVLA?

Really? How do the UK know it's been exported? Will the old owner still get a motor tax bill?

It gets marked as exported a few weeks after you pay VRT

• Advertisement

yes standard enough. Same requirement for NCT too.

The seller can tear that piece off and post it directly to the DVLA before you leave with the car should they wish. This is what I’ve done on my imports and no issues.

I was also able to apply for the car tax refund to the DVLA afterwards, this was 2019 for the tax though so not sure if you can still do that with the uk new online system and no discs anymore.

I think you still can, but EV’s/hybrids are free to tax anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lotsobear

The whole import taxation system seems to be designed to be complicated...I was looking at IS300h prices in the UK and they appear to be good value compared to here, however when you add all the taxes etc its dead in the water unfortunately

Its easy enough to understand if you go through it on Revenues website.

Importing goods into the EU attracts customs duty and VAT. There are exemptions for NI cars which are outlined on Revenue’s website

Importing a car into Ireland requires VRT. Which is a varying percentage of the OMSP, depending on Co2 emissions. Then you have the Nox element which is essentially a flat rate of €5 per mg of Nox

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

This thread has been very useful so thought I post about my experience of bringing in an EV from NI. So purchased a 191 Hyundai Ioniq from dealer in Newry and very happy with the car. NI registered since day 1. Brought it for VRT check yesterday and initially was told i would need to pay 35% for VAT and Customs as the vehicle was registered to a company in NI and not a private individual. Obviously got a bit of a shock from this and queried it. The lady dealing with it was dead on and rang revenue to further query this. Apparently revenue said that once it had an MOT from NI then it was deemed ok and no customs/VAT charged. I didn't ask for for much more info as was delighted to just pay the €11.20 for the tyres and get out of there. Anyone know what the rules are regarding vehicles registered to a company and not a private individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I suspect it's a grey area, as if the car was vat registered in NI you could have bought without paying NI VAT and then not have to pay VAT on import either. However, as the current rules stand, the non/payment of vat outside the EU is not our concern and should not impact the import process. Before brexit you would have had to pay vat on import here.

Same as buying from the US. We don't care about the sales tax in the US if you're importing

I think the reason its a grey area is because the recent exemption only covers vehicles that are in ‘private use’. If a car is registered to a company its technically not in private use its in business use.

I was told by the lady in the VRT office a few days ago that it has to be registered to a private name & address for 3 months, not a company name. And she said having recent NI MOT or tax also helps

Do you remember what was written on the V5? Mine was a individuals name, but I got invoices for the services from the dealer and they were invoiced to a company so I assume there was some form of company ownership involved or something.

Mine predated the change in rules too, but I assume once the V5 name is an individual then the VRT person is happy, but would be curious if that was all that was needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

It was ALD automotive Ltd which i believe is a leasing company based in NI. Yes, i think once its a private individual all should be ok. I got a bit of a scare when it was mentioned €9,000 of VAT/customs due but luckily all worked out in the end.

Advertisement