Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I know that is one angle, but I don't agree in the slightest. We beat a significantly worse LAR team, outside of that we have shown nothing to suggest we are better than last year in any degree. I'm not sure what about a stuttering attack and a defence that suffocates until you get around the edges and then is filleted is better.

I'd take our team from last year 100% over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster's attack has been the point of difference between them and Toulouse in recent fixtures.

Toulouse's main defensive weapon is the jackal turnover. They're excellent at stealing the ball and launching counter-attacks from deep. But if you can keep the ball away from them they lose discipline and start conceding penalties/line breaks.

Under Lancaster we had the perfect attacking system to nullify that defence. We were very ruck oriented, prioritising speed at recycling to make our way up the pitch, setting up the next ruck and the next after that and the next after that. Toulouse couldn't touch our ball. Unfortunately La Rochelle's defensive system was different and coped with our attack much better.

We've moved away from that attacking system to being more unstructured and taking more risks. It worked against La Rochelle, but we may see Toulouse making more steals at the breakdown next weekend.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think we'll do the double.

There's an attitude about this Leinster side I haven't seen before. We've always been shithouses that pushed the legality of our game to breaking point. But this season I've watched us playing spitefully and with more aggression.

Think we're sick of the losses in knockout games and just trying to get over the line any way possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭johnh6767

Winning the top title in Europe is a massive massive massive achievement, sometimes I fear we talk about it as a fait de complis which is nuts, incredible achievement to get to the final, and now a toss of the coin 50/50 between 2 incredible teams

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We beat a significantly worse LAR team, 

They aren't the team they were last year but they're still fifth in the Top14 and they made a big deal about targeting our game… and we put 40 points on them. We put 47 points on an almost full-strength Bulls team, 60 on the Ospreys.

I don't think we're playing as well as last year either, but equally I think we're overstating the issues too.

Tonight was a very disappointing game but ultimately not a big deal in the context of next week. Ryan and Keenan got through 80 minutes, that's about the extent of what we learned. We were never going to able to have continuity going into the final, that's just the downside of being in both tournaments and being bulk supplier to Ireland.

• Advertisement

And we put 55 on Leicester and 41 on Toulouse last year. We lost the final and the record books are what they are, but we were a better team last year.

We had the embarrassment against the Bulls but beat the Lions, unlike the absolute mess against the Sharks this year. I'm somewhat sanguine about tonight's game, it is only causing problems because of some of the other ropey performances, not least losing to Ulster at home earlier in the season.

I'll be thrilled if we win next week, but we are worse and Toulouse are better so I'm not that hopeful. but we have a 20 point buffer to work with…

I also completely disagree with the "that's the reality of being in both competitions" stuff. I think our selection didn't help and screwed us last year, and I don't think the lack of continuity is doing us any favours this year either.

And yes, I'm generally just annoyed and venting partly also.

I also completely disagree with the "that's the reality of being in both competitions" stuff. 

I think we got it wrong for the semi-final last year, but I'm not sure what else we could have done tonight, it would have been madness going full strength for a game that was a nice-to-win a week out from the CC final.

I don't think the lack of continuity is doing us any favours this year either.

Yeah, that's exactly my point? We're chopping and changing week to week because we have to, not because we're trying to be clever, and it's inevitable that there will be a trade-off in performance.

I don't disagree about tonight. I think the damage was done earlier in the season. I would have preferred a stronger bench but that's a mild enough critique.

I've been unimpressed with a lot of our performances in the league this year, which I think goes beyond the changing of personnel - something that didn't impact us as much in years gone by. That being said, I still disagree we "have to" change as much. We choose to several times as well and I don't think it is helpful. Perhaps the approach of this year wins the CC final and the URC final and I'll look silly. But I think we look a worse team in general, and I definitely think we look worse outside a few select big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Chopping and changing has never been a problem before. In fact, the "b" side generally beat most sides. What's happening at the minute is strange. There's something not kosher.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

When was damage done earlier in the season?

The only game lost were they could field a decent side was the Christmas fixture against Ulster, even then key players were on enforced rest. For Warriors loss the Irish players weren't back from WC and then it was only the SA trip.

You know well the Irish players have their minutes limited. Other provinces are getting away with starting their star players every match at the tail end of the season because they're sitting at home with their feet up during the CC knockouts.

After next weekend, Leinster's first team players will have rested the same number of weekends since the first CC knockout match as each of the first team sides of the other provinces (3 weekends off each).

It is fine that challenging on two fronts is hard - it is supposed to be and why doubles are so rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OldRio

What has changed? The opposition have improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It isn't strange at all. Have thought ever thought that the opposition are maybe that bit stronger and it isn't something up with leinster or not right with them?

We’ve lost to Glasgow in October, Ulster in January and Ulster in May. The trip to SA was meaningless because we had no intention of winning.

Trying to piece together patterns and meaning from three matches spread over eight months is futile in the extreme.

We’ll know where we stand at the end of our run in the URC, whenever that comes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the likelihood of playing a URC knockout in Pretoria?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I said at the start of the season this might have to be a write off season, mainly due to Lancaster moving on, Nienaber only available post WC and the majority of the coaching team off working with teams in the WC and not available for Leinster

Plus Leinster lost their captain and main players for the last 15+ years, a huge transition.

We are doing a lot better than I thought we would be.

People are judging this team and players based on the year Lancaster left, he had been a coach at that stage for 7 years wasn't it? he had every players full onboard with how he wanted the game played, no chance Nienaber was going to achieve that in a single season.

The league of course has also got a lot stronger, back when Lancaster started it was turn up with whatever team you had available and it was bonus point before half time. The quality of the URC has certainly improved.

At end of day, Ulster played well, Leinster played ok and make mistakes. Ulster won and based on the game deserved it, Leinster could and maybe should have won but for some errors.

I think Stockdale comments said it all after the game. I do like Ulster, LIke Richie and hopefully they can kick on and maybe meet them in a final

You're spot on to be honest. Leinster are in a better position than should have been expected given the changes. Winning nothing again would still be a kick in the balls at this point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

I think we could be looking at a home quarter and then a trip to Thomond. Munster will win their game easily enough, Bulls have Sharks after their final and the travel back and Glasgow should eat up the points difference and overtake us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Leinster will never have a "write off" season.

They're in a Champions Cup Final and have looked good in Europe to date and they're in the top half of the URC play-offs.

I appreciate that in the league we're clearly not at the same level as last year but this doomsday narrative is way overblown. We lost by two points yesterday and one point in January to Ulster. If we'd won either of those, we'd be top.

Meaningless how? Of course the intention was to win. It's no doubt tough to win down there in S.A and leaving there with nothing is really crap.

There's no other way to look at this, other than we've dropped levels. Understood about the WC, coaching changes etc. It's not the losses, it's more the way we've lost.

Has Harry Byrne now gone injury free long enough to confirm that he's actually just not very good?

• Advertisement

Yep, I have. But then I watch the performance and am left with the feeling that the team is not as good. Obviously, next season starts better with the coaching intact etc. Leinster haven't looked as beatable before as they've looked this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It seems to me that the team last night seem to have lost the cohesion that was a trademark of teams when Lancaster was there. The team certainly had the high quality players to win comfortably although Ulster also suddenly have been energised by the new coach.

Yes.

All the skills, none of the mentality or judgement. It’s a shame.

Anyhooo,

Last night and the absence of Ringrose means there are really only two selection calls for Saturday, whether it’s VDF or Connors and Larmour or JOB.

I would go for VDF and JOB, it’s incredibly harsh on Larmour who’s been excellent but JOB just brings more around the park.

Keenan, JOB, Osborne, Henshaw, Lowe, R Byrne, JGP, Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Ryan, McCarthy, Baird, VDF, Doris

Kelleher, Healy, Alaalatoa, Jenkins, Conan, McGrath, Frawley, Larmour

Or swap Larmour with Connors for a 6-2 split

The SA trip was not meaningless. The performance against the Lions, when at least 2 BPs should have been the min target, was pathetic. Equally I'm aware we had players missing against Ulster and Glasgow but the performances were also incredibly poor.

I just don't think we look anything like as good as last year overall.

I'll be as happy as anyone if it turns out I'm just an hysterical chicken little.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm working on the basis that, as good as we were last year, we finished trophyless.

We're doing things differently this time, including harder fought wins, so hopefully this is the recipe we need to win silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,625 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This is such a weird narrative. Leinster have a final next week and have qualified for a home quarter final in the URC, yet you keep coming to this thread talking about the possibility of winning nothing this season, it's just…bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 20,232 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

How do posters rate Fintan Gunn? He was class at U20s so I'm very pro Gunn, but he's only played a handful of senior games. I'd like to see him get a good few games next season to really test him.

Mcgrath wasn't good enough. He seems to saunter away from a lot of of rucks with ball in hand and completely signpost the pass.

Foley's pass was lightning quick at times, before he was moved out of scrum half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I think Leinster win last night if one of Ngatai or TOB didn't get injured. Luke kinda reminds me of D'Arcy about 10 years ago.

Advertisement