Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭GHendrix

Fury has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Losing twice to the same opponent isn’t really anymore damaging than losing once.

But win and it sets up a huge trilogy.

If there’s no rematch it will be more likely because Usyk doesn’t want that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

In those rounds they were certainly close but Fury if he did win them kinda nicked them with a few pot shots. He never went after it. Round 12 Usyk was the guy making it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

AJ will now have wait, but I do not think he would beat either of these men

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Agreeed , for me Usyk was dictating things for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Exactky. Usyk won the fight mainly off desire and passion and making it happen. He’s so admirable. Fury lost because Usyk was very good, and because Fury was not near authoritative enough.

Post edited by walshb on

Does the rematch, if it happens, have to take place in Saudi Arabia?

Anyone else a pain in their bo%*x with Saudi and these events/fights?

Bring it to England, and create a really proper vibe/buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LetticebCivil

I had Usyk up by 2 by the end. Great fight. Really enjoyable heavyweight contest. In normal circumstances Fury would have been waved off by the ref. Fury has some skill for a big man. Usyk is an incredible boxer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Rematch unlikely for October

Usyk has a broken jaw,

he won but Fury gave him his toughest fight to date & clearly hurt him on multiple occasions

Just looking at fine margins, had Usyk managed to get one clean shot on Fury just before referee stepped in, I reckon Fury absolutely gone!!!

• Advertisement

And btw, Sugar Hill is absolutely to blame for the clowns all in the corner at same time. Sugar is head coach, and no way should that have been allowed. I can only think that Sugar allowed and agreed to Lee and JF in there giving it socks….very odd if he did agree to this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

fury in regards to corner has been getting away with it for too long. When you’re winning everything you did was right. Now we can see the holes. Far too many voices. Look at the calm focus in Usyk’s corner between rounds. No messing around, no egos and no nonsense

Surely he has a good punchers chance v Fury? Look at the trouble Fury was in from Usyk. A punch or two from a proper KO; AJ clearly a heavier and more dangerous puncher than Usyk, as well as having 3 inches extra height compared to Usyk. He can potentially find Fury’s chin easier.

Wonder what bookies odds now would be for AJ-Fury…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Is that so? 😩

Whenever it is it won't be for undisputed so I think even a win for fury won't won cement his legacy where he thinks it should be.

Chisora gave him arguably a tougher fight. Some folks even think he beat him.

Sounds like desperation praise. The 6 feet 8 inch 262 lbs champion gave the 6 feet 2 inch 222 lbs champion his toughest fight..😖

Broken jaw 6-8 weeks and healed. October still can happen. Of course, depends on severity and other factors. But 6 weeks possible for heal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

sky bet have slight favourite to fury

Tyson Fury

8/11

Draw

16/1

Anthony Joshua

11/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You might be right. but AJ would have to knock Fury out to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

totally agree but that's where the money is now, last night was a bit better but still rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭geotrig

Yeah Thought similar, watching it back a few times and if usyk did land one more good hit it might have been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Undisputed at cruiser and heavy, has to be up there as one of the greatest achievements ever?

Last night was a 1 round fight on 2 judges cards , officially the closest he's come to losing

But that’s different than his toughest fight. A scorecard is not the same as a fight v another fight.

Closest he has come to losing on scorecards… yes!!!!

Anyway, reeks of desperation praise for reasons I mentioned.

Personally I thought Chisora was a tougher fight for Usyk. Usyk more in control last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fury and his team now know not to go backwards, you are in trouble when you do that against Usyk. Nearly all of Usyk's best moments came when Tyson was on the ropes. More body shots is another thing, Usyk didn't like them and it lowered his hands a couple of times.

So Fury needs to stay away from the ropes, attack the body more and he has a great chance.

Usyk will know that and probably circle a lot and try and outscore Tyson if he can stay off the ropes. Usyk cannot go toe to toe in the middle of the ring.

If Tyson stays on the ropes it'll probably be a bigger win for Usyk.

Anyone wondering if a rematch will happen. It'll definitely happen with the money both are getting. Neither of them want to pass up on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭geotrig

Sooo what are people's opinions of Tyson showed up last night ? All the talk before was on what version of him showed up... I m still of the opinion fury was nowhere near ready in Feb but was a good version of him last night that struggled with usyks movement.

Not sure he could out last usyk going on front foot. I actually expected fury to go all out 1st round but he didnt

I am still puzzled (impressed puzzled) as to how Usyk was able to, or allowed to push Fury back all night. Fury needed to try stand his ground more and plant feet more. He just didn’t, or couldn’t do this near enough. Was anyone telling him “you’re far bigger. Go out and stamp your authority.”

Genuine question are you allowed use inhalers during rounds??

Footage of Usyk some say kissing a cross other saying using an inhaler between round 7 & 8, Its hard to see what it is

No doubt you’re hoping it's A, illegal and B, true he was using them..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Jesus lads it’s a lovely day no need to all the bickering, boxing didn’t used to be this tribal at all. Two warriors went to battle last night and one came out the winner and I was entertained and the atmosphere in the arena was very good if you look back a few rows, I can’t wait for the rematch to see how it pans out and hopefully there’s less noise in the corner for fury this time.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

It's his coaches crucifix. He's been doing it for years.

Advertisement