Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They lost their entire world class midfield, their keeper, and had their best attacker out injured most of the season. Would look at all that before I’d talk about De Zerbi spiralling into inevitable endless decline.

Given the constant links to big clubs it makes a certain amount of sense to part ways now, so the club aren’t caught short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,974 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rodri has committed 41 fouls this season, that's 29th in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Rodri committed far more fouls than that, they were just the token few he couldn't get away with

What are you talking about? Facts are facts, he's 29th in the league for fouls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah the absolute refusal some people have regarding Brightons squad being decimated all year is bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Well I don't see much slack being given to the six clubs in the league who have had more injuries than Brighton.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Yeah I hear Bayer Leverkusen are going to release Xabi Alonso for the same reason. They saw his name in the paper being linked with a lot of clubs by outstanding journalists so just decided to let him go on a free.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

I've seen plenty of clubs have their down-spells rightly explained by injuries… it's not unusual… if clubs (especially smaller ones, for obvious reasons) are missing their best players they tend to do worse…

As for the Xabi Alonso comparison in the next post, I mean, I'm not even sure what to say to that. The suggestion is that it looked like De Zerbi was a bit unsettled. Perhaps they had a conversation at the club; "Hey Roberto, what are ya thinking?", and he perhaps expressed his frustration over trying to implement his style while having his whole midfield sold, and that if a good offer came in, he'd probably like to take it. So perhaps the club said "well, if you're not fully committed to the project, how about we call it quits?". And then they did. (literally the opposite of everything that happened with Alonso, where he was getting interest, went to his club and said "i dont care i want to stay", and that was the end of it).

The alternative is that Brighton sacked a manager who did brilliantly for them, built a successful new approach to playing football, and then after losing a bunch of important players still squeaked out a decent enough top half finish (a very similar finish to what earned Potter the Chelsea job). That, to me, sounds worse than what I'm suggesting…

• Advertisement

I think Bloom is letting him go because he thinks he's a short term manager and doesn't believe he can sustain the performances and results that happened in his first season.

I'd be very surprised if he moves to a European powerhouse as is being suggested, based on his record this far as a manager, and his emotional character, it would be a big risk.

I'm a fan of Bloom, but if you're right and this is actually just him sacking De Zerbi after what he's done, it'll make me think a lot less of him. And it'll make other managers think twice too, if someone who did as well as De Zerbi got sacked so easily.

I don't for a second believe that's actually the case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭The Guru 123

Sacked? Without question the premier leagues most over rated ever manager. But crazy if they sacked him given the clubs allegedly after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I suppose it’s the nature of the fouls. 41 cynical fouls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I think De Zerbi is off back to Serie A. Thiago Motta is going to get the Juve job and I can see De Zerbi taking his place at Bologna. CL football back home in Italy would be a huge draw for him I'm sure

So the alternative is that Bloom thinks De Zerbi is the real deal, but charitably decided to give him up for free with Europe's elite circling overhead?

The success of Brighton is completely down to Bloom. The recruitment has been outstanding and De Zerbi just arrived in time for the peak and got all the credit for riding that wave. Like so many foreign managers before him, his key attribute was being unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Is it not likely that Brighton just decided that they don’t want to go into the process of planning for the next season with a lad who will be off at the first half decent offer that comes his way?

Easier to pick up his replacement and work effectively with them now.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Unlikely return for potter? Maybe big move for tuchel. Brighton have the sort of infrastructure that he likes to work in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Kompany linked with Brighton too. Strange move

I wonder will Will Still be linked with the Brighton job. He's done well in France and I could see him being the type of appointment Bloom would love

Does anybody here know if De Zerbi had a release clause in his contract?

As for his replacement, Bloom probably already has it down to two or three. He's been ahead of the game in everything he's ever been involved in.

• Advertisement

Is that not completely illogical though? We better hire an inferior manager because if we have a good one he will leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don’t think so, if they know he’s been actively trying to get himself a number of jobs this summer and just hasn’t managed to do so yet. Not quite the same as just knowing that anyone would potentially take a job like Barca or Bayern if they came looking for him.

There would come a point in the process where you want to know whether the manager intends to be there next year or if he plans to head off. De Zerbi probably wasn’t ready to commit for next season, and they’ll have wanted someone who can do at least that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Bloom seems like the type of guy who had a list a long time ago of potentials. Especially as De Zerbi was making noises about not being happy months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Rumours of a bug in the camp at West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I can't remember exactly when the article was, might have been last summer, but apparently Bloom has a massive potential manager plan drawn out for a number of years, with potential routes it certain things happen.

So for example when Di Zerbi came in, Bloom already had his replacement lined up, based on what the club was doing, so a suitable manager for bottom half and trying to break into top half a suitable manager for EC level trying to break into EL, a suitable manager for developing younger players or more experienced players and so on. And he'll have options 1,2,3 for each route too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

People talking like Bloom is Moriarty or something, that he has it all figured out ten steps ahead.

There is nothing new about a well run club having a period of success, and there will be nothing new if/when they fall back into the pack.

He will appoint a new manager and that person could easily fail no matter what Bloom does. They can sign new players and those players might succeed, or they might do like so many others and fail to make the step up.

Lets not overstate what is happening there. He is running a tight ship but its nothing revolutionary and they are subject to the vagaries of fate just as much as everybody else.

Its not so long ago that Swansea had a similar trajectory, how are they doing today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I know it’s his last selection but it seems Klopp has lost faith with Darwin and Konate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i'm just dreading the sky klopp circle jerk that will be going all day.

I doubt you'll hear much about it with the title on the line. It'll be all about Arsenal and City.

Rumours of surgery for Nunez this summer on the foot injury he's nursing since the last international break. But it's just rumours and they're half hopeful he won't need it.

thats that anyway. 1-0 city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Reckon that's the title and PFA POTY settled in one fell blow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Over after 2 mins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Hope gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Will continue with the Munster hurling for the afternoon so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Starting with making Liverpool-Wolves one of their featured games

Which is a better game for viewership than any other possible games, with so little left undecided, tbf.

How many people want to watch Brentford v Newcastle over any of the other games today for example.

2-0 city. foden again

Can see it being 6-0 City if they're arsed.

Arsenal will do well to stay focused and win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The faux title race is over

I've felt sorry for Wolves all season with refs.

But that is deserved.

Like me though, the crowd barely reacted. I don't think they necessarily wanted a red in this game.

• Advertisement

Semedo should have been booked earlier anyway for a clear trip on Gakpo to stop a dangerous attack.
    Title race over again. 4 in a row. The PL have allowed themselves to be destroyed by City.

There's some amount of ironic hilariousness about Wolves leading the charge to get VAR scrapped and then VAR giving them a red card in their next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I thought City were saving football?

But the PL should have dealt with the 115 legacy charges by now rather than picking on minnows for more recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Everton beating Arsenal now lol

Rice Rice baby

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement