Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,089 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Very one sided I thought, there was one person allowed to comment on ordinary peoples concerns for a couple of minutes and no follow up exploration of points raised from Ballsy. Somebody referred to a Ukrainian war refugee they knew who was living in a hotel, holding down two jobs (depriving who?) and who couldn't attend a funeral. I'm not sure what the point was, were we supposed to feel sorry for this lady cos she couldn't get time to go back home (presumably) for the funeral or were we supposed to admire her as was suggested by the panellist, for her endeavours? It was opined that she should be an example to the (inferred) lazy Irish. I was thinking that if she's got free board and lodging and holding down two jobs, she must be building a nice nest egg of savings.

Other than that, I've heard very little discussion of war refugees in the past few days, so I guess this thread will become moribund.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

I'll join the dots for you as you don't seem to be following. The UK is our closest neighbour and not so dissimilar to us as we might like and they are a century or two ahead of us in terms of dealing with immigration. You can think of it as a giant experiment from which we can learn what works and what doesn't.

I have lived and worked in three EU countries enjoying the freedom of movement that EU membership provides so 100 per cent not anti-EU.

I'm against the brainless left wing consensus that all immigration is an unalloyed good when in reality it's a very complex issue. We will only gain as a country if we approach this issue very carefully with data led decision making.

Post edited by Will0483 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downtheroad

In the Business Post today, 200 branches of estate agents have been contacted by the Department of Integration to identify available commercial properties to accommodate unprecedented numbers of asylum seekers.

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/exclusive-government-contacts-hundreds-of-property-firms-in-bid-to-house-asylum-seekers/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 a.non.i.mouse

I'm not going to go into an enormous amount of detail.

There is a reason why civil servants don't get involved here. They are precluded from engaging with these debates on social media by a code of conduct.

I didn't want to say anything that may inadvertently identify my relative.

Unfortunately this leaves space for people to come out with completely untrue statements, such as the one I responded to, and present then as facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wow this is just **** disgusting when you think about all the homeless Irish with thousands of kids on the streets but yet this vile government are making an effort to house illegals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Augme

The UK are completely different to Ireland in their stance and approach to international affairs. There's really not much we would have ever had in common with them. The UK attitude to immigrants and other cultures has been built on a foundation of servitude and seeing other culutures as being sub-human. T

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

and yet, the underlying drive here is to accept more refugees than there is physical space for, because the government want to use them as low income workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭marty whelan

I think you have a valid point re low paid workers, but I think the main issue is people don't understand what the government can actually do. You don't have a passport? How am I getting you on a plane to somewhere? The answer is I can't. Lose your passport, you're here forever. That's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

That's completely unhinged and really offensive. We were literally a colony for 800 years and are conversing here in English not Irish. If you ask the average Irish person who's the PM in Spain or Greece they probably won't know but they could name the previous 5 in the UK.

We grow up watching the BBC, following English football and culture in general so I stand by what i said.

If you have an irrational hatred of the English, that's your business but it has no place here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

detention centres until their applications are processed. None of this free to roam around and do as you please. And I don't care if that costs money. So does the current policy and we need something that is a deterrent to the endless arrival of hundreds each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Wow, that is some real nasty bigotry right there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I'm afraid you are totally incorrect here, applicants are not asked anything about their attitudes to norms in Irish society as part of their interview.

The Asylum interview assesses whether an applicant is eligible for refugee status or permission to remain.

That analysis is based solely on what their circumstances are, what has happened to them, where they come from and what may happen to them if they are returned.

Attitudes to Irish society have no part of that analysis.

I have a close relative who actually does this job. There is an incredible amount of misinformation and ignorance about this topic not only in this thread, but over all social media in general.

Talk about a waste of time - hard to imagine getting much job satisfaction out of it considering, to the public at least, that these assessments really do nothing in the greater scheme of things.

The department and office that deals with this might as well be replaced with the smiley button thing at the end of the Lidl checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

^ exactly this yes. The Ukranian lass (with 2 jobs) was held up as poster girl for how successful this tsunami of migrants is working out. (Everybody forgot to ask if her hotel acommodation is paid for with our tax monies while she holds down 2 jobs)

Then they all chorussed how the gubberment was taken by complete surprise by this influx. Brendan forgot to mention that Roddy boy had invited the world at large over here in no less than 7 languages. That might have summat to do with the current stampede, Bren ?

Brendan O C must sit them all down well bfore the show airs to weed out any deviations from the script

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

When I think back to the Apollo house occupation, I don't recall the govt looking in to buying even 1 property to accommodate the homeless people in that building,maybe they should've pitched up along the canal instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Well, if we could post anecdotes, we could all post about people we know who conduct these interviews and what they ask. But we can't so hey hum.

And I have never said their claim is dependant on their attitudes to Irish society, I said they are asked.

I suppose it would be better if she sat in the hotel claiming 230 euro a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Deleted

Post edited by cajonlardo on

You should have a read up on Britain's history. Pretty much every where they jave been their tactics have been very similar. Here's on Article on their actions in Kenya.

As for us speaking English. There is a reason we speak English and not Irish, this probably has a lot to do with it.

The first British Law enacted in Ireland which specifically banned the use of the Irish language was Article III of The Statute of Kilkenny from 1367 which made it illegal for English colonists in Ireland to speak the Irish language and for the native Irish to speak their language when interacting with them.

This was followed in 1537 with The Statute of Ireland – An Act for the English Order Habit and Language that prohibited the use of the Irish language in the Irish Parliament. In 1541, further legislation was passed which banned the use of Irish in the areas of Ireland then under English rule.

The Administration of Justice (Language) Act (Ireland) was passed by the Irish Parliament in 1737. The Act not only forbids the speaking of Irish within the courtroom, it also prohibits the completion of legal documentation in Irish and imposes a financial penalty of £20 each time Irish is spoken in court in contravention of the law.

Aa for more recent, all you need to do is look at both countries views on the EU to realise how much different we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭trashcan

But they are not asked, as I’ve pointed out to you again and again. You are just plain wrong about this. The poster you are replying to is 100 % correct about the process. Asylum seekers are not asked about anything not relevant to their claim. Why would they be.?

• Advertisement

And as I said, if we could all post anecdotes we could post about people we know and what they do or ask. But we can't.

So you can say I'm wrong, but I know I'm right.

Thats the nub of the problem really. No pride in our culture, our language, our home. It is attitudes such as yours that have landed us where we are today.

"We can't speak Irish becoz of some laws enacted a few centuries ago .."

Seriously ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I have no clue who is right about whether AS are asked about their attitudes but if they are it seems a bit pointless. What's actually done with the answers given and what happens if the answers are not satisfactory? If nothing is the answers to both then it's a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Exactly

Not to mention there are numerous videos on YouTube of tutorials effectively explaining how to talk your way through the asylum application interviews. Any chancer can be well prepped arriving knowing exactly what to say thanks to these videos

FI'd be delighted to see more people use our language. I've watched various clips of those anti migration protests with all the people holding Irish flags etc and I've seen some of the speeches.I've yet to see any in Irish though. I think that's massively disappointing tbh. They should be leading by example.There's also nothing stopping you and everyone who thanks your post to engage with our native language and post the Irish version underneath the English one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

And there's nothing stopping you either especially as you just said you'd be delighted to see more people use the Irish language. You can't really criticise people for not doing something you haven't done either

I'm not talking about everybody else. I'm talking about you. You give a limp excuse about laws enacted centuries ago as the reason why you do not speak Irish.

Every Irish person who has been to an Irish school has at least the basics of our Irish language. Laws enacted centuries back did not prevent them.

So, what happened to you ? Are you Irish ?

I’m not relying on anecdotes. I am in a position to be able to state factually and definitively that you are 100% wrong. That’s from personal experience, not from “ someone I know”. Jesus, it’s infuriating arguing with some who is so determined to argue that black is white.

@Lotus Flower. Exactly. Suppose an asylum seeker said “yeah, I think gays should be publicly flogged, and women should only be allowed out in the company of their husbands, and should keep their faces covered at all times “. Could they be refused asylum for those attitudes ? No they couldn’t. Which is why they are not asked.

• Advertisement

Quite, personal experience is anecdotal. So, considering that the only evidence anyone of us can come up with is anecdotal, then there is nothing to be gained by constantly arguing. I think we are done here.

Advertisement