Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

On your point about swiping, I argued on here some time ago that not too long ago if you swiped to knock the ball off your opponents hurl and missed it was usually a free, and some on here disagreed but i know from playing myself. Now you can repeatedly swipe and get away with it

If you hooked a players arm as they tried to handpass it was free and this thing of pulling on a players arm to knock the ball out of their hand, was seldom seen but was definitely a free, for example Mikey Carey was dispossessed in this way yesterday, he had no hurl, ball in hand, and Dublin player pulled on his hand to knock the ball free, no free. I don't agree with there being a free if there is no contact however

There's so much being let go these days, the disconnect between the rule book and the game is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The right call would also have been to take the 65 from the correct position. Should have been 5 metres to the right and on the 65 line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

He took several seconds, guessed, then changed his mind and guessed again.

Just because the 50/50 guess that he eventually went with, which thankfully for him turned out to be right, doesn't make it right.

What I mean is, the damage he would have done had his decision been wrong would have been less if he had called it wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Just thought it was interesting that you didn't mention that. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

So many second half hammerings for Tipp in last few years. Usually at the hands of Limerick who show Tipp no mercy but today at home to Cork to be so poor for basically the whole second half in front of their own where a loss and they're out it was an incredibly meek surrender and it is a pattern and very worrying trend.. Hard to see any positives for Tipp going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Looks like the end for Cahill no Tipp manager could survive 2 hammerings in the same year like that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭endainoz

Tipp have truly been shocking, they have fallen some length in the space of just over a year. They beat Clare in Ennis the first day out in Munster in Ennis just last year. Some change in a short space of time.

The rest of the teams in Munster have been exceptional this year though, will make for an amazing final weekend. It's true what someone said here a few weeks back, the Munster hurling championship is truly the jewel of the GAA crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Robson99

So a wrong makes a right. FFS some lads would argue black is white. He got the call right. If that took 1 second or 5 seconds doesnt matter. If he got it wrong (called it wide ) and Clare got knocked out of it next week then that would be fine ? The amount of scutter talk about the umpire making a correct call is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Tipp could surely be seen as a forewarning for Cork to temper expectations. Didn't they win a few AI under-age titles under Cahill? I remember them having a sensational under-20 team one year. And that conveyor belt were going to be assimilated into a senior side at a higher level than Cork in the same period (last team other than Limerick to win AI)- certainly hasn't happened yet and shows there are no guarantees that underage translates to senior dominance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Liam Cahill barely won a match in the Munster group stage as Waterford manager. Today was a sobering one for Tipperary hurling.

The Cork crowd even outnumbered the Tipp crowd in the stands as well. That shows the lack of faith the Tipperary public had in their team.

To be fair the Tipp performance or lack of today more than justified that lack of faith!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,064 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Very few Tipp down in Limerick a few weeks back too.

Crazy how little interest the fans have considering the hype around Cahill only 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Tipperary and their management are pretty clueless. In a game demanding strength and speed you can't have the 2 McGraths and Jason Ford. And to give them their due they ve been great players but destroyed again today. The backs are pretty poor aswell. Ronan Maher cant move.Tipperary don't have the athletes to compete in today's game. That coupled with a terrible management team in Bevans and Cahill means Tipp are done. Could be a 20 point loss again next week although the pressure is off Tipperary now they might play a small bit better. Cork will be a force . What a player Connolly is ..Barratt aswell has finally delivered all season. And today the shackles seemed to be off the backs..They attacked the ball and were outstanding. Collins is the weak link ..terrible shot stopper. The 2 Downeys ...excellent.

Limerick won't lose to Waterford. Another Clare v Limerick Munster final . That ll be in Thurles and if Clare are ever going to win Munster it has to be this year. Limerick will still win the 5 in a row.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

The Munster final is now definitely in Cork.

Edit: wrong.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

So much for the Round Robin! The quirk of the fixture scheduling means both Galway/Dublin and Kilkenny/Wexford next week are de facto Leinster SFs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Munster final is in Thurles if it's Clare v Limerick or Waterford v Clare or Limerick V Waterford. Thurles is first up of the 3 stadiums on the rota.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Avon8

End of the Clare Waterford game is another good example that they need to change 65's.

They were designed at a time when it was rare to score one. Now every decent u14 club free taker is slotting them over. It's a ridiculously harsh penalty for a deflected wide ball and it decided a very important game today

They add nothing to the spectacle either. Make them indirect or make them playable from the ground only

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Surely they should at least enforcing the rule that they are taken from the 65 for starters!!

Both are great ideas and I would say either would do the trick.

Another one worth trying is 65s to be taken from your own 65 but I prefer the ideas above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭C4000

Completely agree. You have situations where keepers make spectacular saves or defenders make great blocks and are punished with an almost certain point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Id even go as far as your own 45. But definitely giving what is a handy free for deflecting a ball out is way too harsh and was starkly illustrated there. Indirect is also a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Lee chin at the moment is the best hurler in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

At the end of the day, its gone all too easy to score from long-range in hurling. Technology and player conditioning the reason. Same as golf- hitting a 62 in a major was unheard of and now there were two in the same tournament. Holes over 500 yards that used to be par 5's are now par 4's.

Quick puck-out to lad on wing and straight over the bar gets tiresome quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I don't think there's too many 65's in most games so i wouldn't change it. It is a lot easier with the modern ball and hurley but i remember Tipp missed nine frees a lot of them only 40 yards from goal v Clare in league semi final so they can be missed. It is just highlighted today because it was the last puck of the game. If i changed one small thing it would be the sliotar could not be placed in front of the 65 line nearer the goals like it was today.

Ya but that's Tipp and they are clearly pure shte 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Id say Darragh Fitzgibbon is right up there too at the moment, playing some stuff. But certainly Chin is some player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

With a bit of nuance though… if progression to the AI series is the ultimate prize.

Dublin are out unless they lose narrowly and Wexford are beaten badly. More than a 10 point difference. Galway are out if they lose.

We'll just settle for landing that one all Ireland first, and getting the almost twenty year old monkey off our backs!

• Advertisement

I think Tipp's problem was that they delayed blooding those underage all Ireland winners. If they started blooding them sooner they'd be a lot better off now.

Anyway all that is Tipp's problem and not Cork's. Pat Ryan and the players sure have (myself included) answered the doubters over the last two games.

Advertisement