Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭skaface

Gutted not to get something from that game today.. At least we've restored a bit of pride in the county with our performances this year in Munster.. One massive effort next Sunday and who knows what can happen.. it's still in our own hands.. maybe it's Waterford who will get the bit of luck next weekend. UP THE DEISE

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Yeah if we had beaten tipp we would now be assured of a top 3 position. Unless tipp beat Clare next week as we would have cork on head to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

Tipp are similar to us last year, no pressure on them in the last game so they could manage a surprise although I can't see it, they look really poor, I can't ever really recall a Tipp team going down so purely as they did today, they seemed to drop the heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

we were practically qualified until the last puck of game against Tipp, we were practically qualified until last puck of game in cork limerick game and today we were qualified until last puck of game!! Cork must feel like they have nine lives as they were gone each time. Hopefully the rub of the green will fall our way next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

can’t fault the scoring. 2-26 would be good enough to win most games. It’s the defending let us down, goals win games unfortunately. We do miss Prunty terribly.

• Advertisement

as someone said earlier at the start of the year we would have taken next Sundays scenario of a win or draw and we are through. Hopefully if the heads and bodies are okay there is no reason we can’t give it a good rattle but obviously if there not it could be a long day. The team have been excellent and have restored pride in the jersey and imo deserve to qualify. Limerick have their own worries with injuries, form of some players etc. looking at the Clare game they were poor for the majority of that game and it was more of a collapse from Clare than anything that allowed limerick to prevail. They hammered Tipp but looking at tipp today they are really poor and obviously cork beat them. I know limerick came back at cork but that was down to 2 poor goals given up by cork. Hopefully we go next weekend and do ourselves justice and if it’s not to be at least go out swinging. Also special word for kevin Mahoney today I would have questioned his inclusion in the starting 15 but he had an excellent game getting 4 from play

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭siyo

I'd slightly disagree with the no pressure on tipp. I think last year there was almost a depressing feeling of here we go again around us and people seemed to lose interest in the team so the public slating so to speak wasn't as ferocious as what this tipp team may face this week. I'd almost call it a malaise that surrounded us from the cork game in 2022 to the cork game a few weeks ago.

Maybe the backlash will spur them on against Clare, there's a few of the old guard who probably know this is the last chance for them to play in a tipp jersey.

The way results have gone this year ya wouldn't put it past them to spring an upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭siyo

Yea we missed prunty massively and Montgomery, he's been fantastic in midfield for us this year, best I've seen him play in a Waterford jersey. He would have made a huge difference in the first half when Clare were dominating the middle third. They have a lot of big lads in that area and Monty's robustness was badly missing. Any word on the two of them fitness wise? We'll need everyone next weekend.

Just on Limerick, they've a few injury worries of their own. Casey gone for sure, Finn more than likely, O'Donovan (I think) and Byrne's didn't look like he was moving too great at the end of the cork match. For all the talk of Limerick and they are an incredible side their depth isn't amazing.

would be good to have a fully fit squad for next weekend. Any word on how long prunty is out for? He matches up well against gillane. What injury does monty have? From today it looked like darragh Lyons tweaked a muscle and obviously paddy Curran had the bang to the head. Apart from cramp think everyone else were okay

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Kevin Mahony had a great game too, haven't heard it commented on. A lot (,including myself) surprised to see him continue to start, but did fantastic today, 4 points from play a great return

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Whitenblue93

wonder will Davy get a ban for the reaction after the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Just saw it again on Sunday game…..mental reaction very surprised if he doesn’t get one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

nothing mental about Fitzgerald’s reaction at all. The talk about it is pure nonsense. The 65 was taken from the totally wrong place and the ref and linesman were given plenty of talk on the line by players and management before the ball was struck. Stephen Bennett was in the stand and had time to get down to the linesman so you’re talking 15/20 seconds. The officials had time to tell the Clare player to move it to the correct position and more or less told Waterford to fück off. Any wonder why he was so incensed?

More than likely the ball would still have gone over of it had been moved, but that’s not the point. Why bother having rules if they’re not going to be enforced? Donal Og talking rubbish again, not so long ago he was acting the bollocksś week in week out on the line with a Clare top on his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Feeling a bit gutted today. Feels like we really could/should have more pts and be qualified.

The change in the team this year is unreal , the heads never once dropped yesterday - Davy and his backroom team doing something right.

Pride in the jersey is restored thankfully, the past few years it hasnt been enjoyable to support Waterford, but the 2024 championship has been enjoyable, though heart breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

I get the outburst even in regards the 65 (it was a 65) but from their view they wouldn't have known and they would have viewed it as a guess.

That said, I saw Davy marching out and said to myself here we go. How someone from our setup didn't have the cop on to just pull Davy aside get him into the dressing room and then have a word with the ref I don't know.

The debate now is about our reaction as opposed anything else.

By the way that Clare lad coming over and pushing people around is what really sparked the whole thing off.

I actually think Davys overreaction was staged a bit, I beleive he was purposely trying to stir emotions before the lads get back into the dressing room to get them fired up ahead of the next weeks game asap, he knows it will be hard for them to pick it up in 7 days after a gut wrenching defeat like that.

it wouldn’t be the first time he’s pulled something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I don't agree with his actions but the idea was to create a siege mentality, everyone is against us. To go to Limerick to get a result is a massive ask. To do so seven days after that while Limerick had a week off makes it even more difficult. I don't think he even really knew what it was he was going to kick up about as initially it was the awarding of the 65, then the process of awarding it was a guess, then from where it was taken and finally the lack of time added on. He figures that's the best way to get a reaction from his players.

If Waterford were to get a point next week I'd argue it would be the biggest result since the 2002 Munster final at least, that's how tough a task it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Not getting a win against a very poor Tipp side is probably going to cost ye . That game was done and dusted going into injury time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The 7 days thing is overdone. Tipp had a weeks rest and made no difference to them yesterday. Yes playing 3 weeks in a row like before but now gone would be a factor. I think Waterford can give Limerick plenty of it but need to cut off the soft goals like they did against Cork the first day. Yes a tough ask in Limerick but not impossible.

I don't have much time for him generally but think he has done a great job this year with Waterford. As others have said the Tipp game was won and then let it slip. Other than that Cork would be effectively out. The margins are very small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I'd disagree on that. I was never any good as a player so I never played at a high level. But I'm sure those players carry knocks the same and going consecutive weeks is not conducive to allowing them to recover. There's also a limited opportunity to amend the game plan to Limerick in that time. Every team have had to go consecutive weeks so it's not a complaint or anything like that, just a reflection of the difficulty of the task at hand.

How many teams have managed a point or more away to Limerick since 2018? And of those, how many also played away the previous week? Perhaps there are more than I realised but I consider it a mammoth challenge.

Well yes players get injured and pick up knocks but can happen in training too. Even with 3 weeks break Limerick would be a tough task especially as they need a result too and will want a response after Cork defeat.

I think Waterford can trouble them though. limerick are not hammering teams except Tipp who collapsed second half there too. Finn and Casey are big losses for them too.

Yes Limerick 5 or 6 points favourites probably but will be a nervy afternoon if waterford keep it tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 southsider11

Does anyone have any idea what the story is with Prunty? Is there any chance he will be back for Limerick game? He really is crucial if we're to have any chance of drawing/winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Both Cork and Clare have won away to Limerick since 2018. If i remember right, both had come off home defeats to Tipp the previous week.

Small sample size you are looking for there, teams having 2 consecutive away weeks back to back but has happened more the last couple of seasons. I think Tipp last year got 3 pts at Clare and Cork. Cork had both Clare and Limerick away back to back to finish last year. 1 pt defeat each time. Can be done. Fine margins.

Waterfords campaign this year has a lot of mirrors with Cork last year. Home win to start, home draw with Tipp, 1 pt defeat in Ennis, Limerick away last do or die.

Definitely think the 7 day turnaround is overrated. Pat Ryan said yesterday he didnt have to get the players up for Tipp in Thurles. Said if he had to they shouldnt be wearing the jersey. Same for Waterford in Limerick, chance to knock a 5 in a row seeking team on their own pitch. Might be a slim chance but its a chance.

to be fair Tipp had one good performance in them and it came against us. Not saying we shouldn’t have closed it out mind

I’m not surprised it’s fallen apart for them under Cahill. We had a coupe of days under him like Tipp had yesterday

Thanks, I cannot remember that Cork game against Limerick for some reason though that's a season Waterford fans would try to erase from memory.

I disagree on the 7 day turnaround for the reasons I said before, particularly when the opposition are playing at home after having a break. However I respect your post as it's supported by a number of valid points.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LohansRedHelmet

I thought ye were the better team yesterday lads but a bit defensively niave and that cost ye. We could have had a couple more goals but in general play ye were the better team especially in the second half. I thought our energy levels were gone which is worring for the rest of the campaign.

Davy will always make things about him, but there was no need for Corbett to get involved. He should have left Davy at it. That being said, Davy is a massive hypocrite. They wheel him out on the Late Late to talk about bullying and abuse of officials and then you see that rubbish on the sideline yesterday. Just disappointed that our lads got involved in something that was nothing to do with us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Its a frustration that can be understood, with each game there is more talk about officiating issues these days and we get the benefit of these aswell I have to admit but its hard to take in such an intense game in Ennis.

These lads like all counties train for most of the year and a game like yesterday will always come down to one puck of a ball that's why the 65 that was waved wide in the first half is massive for the lads, that is a crazy wide to be waving.

Anyway regardless the lads had plenty of opportunities to win it so it needs to be more insular looking this week as opposed to blaming all around them. I guess Fitz is just using the officiating at the end to get a siege mentality going because Waterford need everything now to go right against Limerick so he would have started working on them already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Whitenblue93

only tickets left for the two terraces left I reckon the Clare end might be slightly better? That town end always has the roughest of the rough up the top by the scoreboard . Many here have tickets for either terrace?

Advertisement