Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Rugbyf565

It’s no coincidence that Harry byrne was also starting 10 for that lions game

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I get that approach though I don't really agree with it. Play that final 10 times and I'm convinced we win it 7 or 8 times. I don't feel thay way this year at all.

Though it's a results based business so the proof will be in the next few weeks I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ulster probably played their best game of the season last night and Leinster were poor and still could easily have held on for the win.
    I doubt anyone thinks this is the best Leinster team of all time but they are still very good and night very well finish the season with silverware.
    there has been a negative narrative since the World Cup with lots of people shouting that the sky is falling, the reality I think is Leinster may not be as sharp especially down the depth charts as before but actually other clubs have improved especially in the URC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The attitude of some posters is that if Leinster don't win every single game, the season is a write off.

It's utterly bizarre.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's bizarre is distorting things into this ludicrous binary nonsense that literally nobody has said or implied.

You've just cut and pasted words from a series of different posts and posters like some 1980s kidnapper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Honestly the amount of comments about Harry

Multiple coach's including the international coaching ticket have picked him, maybe people might consider full time professional coach's might have a better opinion on a player than some randomer on the web who seems to bear a grudge against a young player.

TO me he done ok last night, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

What a weird thing to say.

I said one thing so not sure how I've cut and pasted words from different posts and posters like a 1980s kidnapper.... but.... OK.

And honestly if you can't see the posts and posters who are going on as if the season is over or this season is a failure, or how this URC game or that URC game is the be-all and end-all of the season, well then I get I why you can't see my point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

…or, alternatively, it’s possible to be critical of Harry Byrne without it being a grudge??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I agree with you that Leinster are held to impossibly high standards. It's unrealistic to expect heavily rotated sides to continually win every game.

However, that sense of expectation is something that the province itself has fostered throughout the years and any blowback they get after a defeat is self inflicted. The last few years of Lancaster's tenure there was an especially hard push towards perfection and winning every game to get a high seeding in the URC and Champions Cup.

Now that we're losing games we previously wouldn't have, we're seeing some over the top criticism. But that push towards perfection led to us winning absolutely nothing, so I'm more than willing to see what our different approach under Nienaber brings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The coaching staff missed a really good opportunity to see Foley play a full or near full game. A rarity. Why not put Luke on the wing? Foley was going well. And Luke has played on the wing before. As it was we learnt nothing. Other than Luke isn't good enough any more.

Luke isn’t dead yet.

Just giving him a run before Saturday

All the evidence, and there's a lot, suggests he's miles off the level required. He's a massive risk to us, that's the biggest indictment....he puts first receiver and those outside him under massive pressure.

I’m not ignoring McGraths form btw

Realistically would you pick Cormac Foley instead?

Leo won’t.
    Foleys done ok. Recently.

He's already 24/25 but inexperienced.

6 starts ever?

0 mins in Europe

If I was Leo I wouldnt have given McGrath so many minutes ahead of other options this season when its beem clear for some time that he's done. And I'd have kept Foley at 9 yesterday.

if all those were the case it might be quite an easy decision to select Foley on the bench next week. As it is, I'm not sure I would. Hand on heart, I believe we've no chance if Luke has to play significant part of next week, I can't say the same of Foley.....maybe only because I haven't seen enough of him!

Maybe if it had transpired that way I would be able to easily agree with almost all of that.

Luke just turned 31 though. He’s not finished. Just not playing well.

Would equate his form to Connor Murray of 2019/20, 2020/21. He was similar age (30) and way, way off his best. And playing just plain bad.

Murray got his second wind in 2022. Still wasn’t the same player.
    And yes McGrath was/is nowhere near Murray level.

I’m not trying to equate the calibre of the two players just the coaches faith they have in players with experience, trying to play them back into some form and also realising there isn’t an outstanding alternative.

If Foley was better (right now) he would have played more than he has. 100%

Fingers crossed for 70mims of JGP. At the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Luke was never a great passer, so that's gone worse. I think we are seeing a declining player and I don't think its going to improve to any great degree going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

You can't compare McGrath to Murray. Murray demonstrated a level miles above anything Luke ever did.

You'd hope for a change in pecking order from next season but it won't change by next Saturday

I’m not.
    And we all hope Foley pushes ahead of McGrath

IF he’s good enough.

He’ll be 25. So if not next season you’d have to wonder if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I am with you. Some uncharacteristic performances.

• Advertisement

I'd go with Larmour. He's earned it.

My point is, over the years the 2nd's were reliable and in some cases pushed the 1st's onto higher levels. It's not this way this season. Even v Ospreys, we gave up a lot of line breaks that are uncharacteristic. I'm probably beating an annoying drum here but, the trip to S.A was woeful. Very, very poor. The league has improved, I agree and at the same time, Leinster have not. In fact, we are a lesser side now. I probably expect way too much! Perhaps my sights are set too high.

Ulster played very well at the rds! They fronted up versus us.

I assume that I'm included among the naysayers. At the end of the day it's just a forum with multiple opinions. I'm guilty of expecting too much. Mea Culpa! Onwards and upwards!

I'd be hesitant to get Luke on v Toulouse. He's not been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

JOB is a better player, simple as. Perhaps harsh on Larmour but getting the best players, in form, onto the pitch is what matters.

Larmour is playing the best rugby of his career. His footwork is as good as ever, but he's a lot smarter in how he plays. He'll try and beat a defender if he's in a one on one, but otherwise he'll run into contact to generate a new phase of play. His finishing has also improved.

I think I'd still start JOB ahead of him next Saturday. The latter is just a faster player and we'll need that if we're to stress the Toulouse defence. Their defence isn't that impressive and line breaks can be generated through speed and accuracy of play.

Leinster's greatest strength this season lies in the forwards. We've an excellent pack and impactful replacements.

We've had some great success with the 6-2 split this year, but we've also seen it's drawbacks in the Ireland/England game and even last night's game against Ulster when we lost two backs relatively early. Toulouse went 6/2 against us last season and it cost them when their.outaode centre went off after a few minutes. Dupont went to 10 and Ntamack to 12. Completely disrupted their game plan.

If we want to go for the most impact I think we have to go 6/2 with Connors and Jenkins starting. VDF and Ryan can be excellent subs after 50 minutes. But I don't know if it's worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Leinster decided it was meaningless when they sent over the kids on the tour.

They didn't play well but it is absolute arrogance to send none of your first ~25 players and expect to get results in SA.

A 14 man version of that Lions team bet a full strength Warriors first team by 23 points, leaving them coming away with zero points.

It matters little how the second/third string are performing as a group from now on, just how they do when any are asked to step in with the firsts.

There are no style points on how Leinster look vs last year, all that matters are trophies. SA under Rassie had plenty of ups and downs last season - we'll see if he can bring it together again with Leinster over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,231 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I presume they're missing Lancaster. There's bound to be a lull when losing such a great coach, even when transitioning to another great coach.

They did the same last year. The coaching team left SA and left Sean O Brien to manage. But you could expect the seconds to win games comfortably in the previous years.

I think leinster has probably given more game time to academy players than most teams. I just don't think they have as many really exciting prospects as previous years. The Ireland U20s hasn't been as stacked with leinster players as the senior side and the stars haven't usually been leinster players (Prendergast aside). Lots of decent academy players, but not many you think will be stars.

The Byrne brothers are similar. Decent, and too good to let them go, but not good enough for the top end of Europe. Ross is good, but nobody is excited to see what he does in the final next weekend. 10 has gone from a major strength for leinster, to a bit of a weakness.

Advertisement