Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

City four in a row, let the celebrations begin...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i reckon liverpool have planned adequately and should be in the mixer next season. perhaps not challenging but in the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

That asterisk needs to be expanded to acknowledge to the trophies won before 2008. Like the League titles of 1937 & 1968, the latter which they never got proper credit for. Given that the world was fixated on Manchester United's European Cup win that year. He could easily change them to:

League 2+8*

FA Cup 4+3*

League Cup 2+6*

European Cup 1*

Other Europe 1 (unchanged)

Total trophies 9+18*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The fact more people are interested in a going away speech for Klopp than an actual trophy presentation for the champions* is pretty funny/damning

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Lauras Law

Not according to the BBC Sport website. No mention of Liverpool/Klopp in the top stories on the homepage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

5live were at Anfield not the Etihad. Was listening in car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

A fantastic achievement for City and Pep. First four in a row.
    I hope to God someone challenges them again next year otherwise it’s just gonna get boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The Manchester Guardian are liveblogging it, with nothing but the match report for the city game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Klopp's farewell is genuine, City's wall of money is as artificial as it gets, no surprise people are more interested in the former

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Will never know until the figures are released but i saw this on twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

of course they would, as a neutral I've absolutely no interest whatsoever in that City side. I've never cared as little about a particular team. At least Klopp is genuine whether you like him or not, he will be a big loss to the PL next season.

It's getting hard to watch it as it is with City's dominance. I think this campaign could also knock the stuffing out of Arsenal. City will be gunning for the drive for 5 next season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Watching all the Liverpool players partners and parents getting selfies with Klopp is a really nice sight.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

City are cheats. Whether the Premier League ultimately has the stomach to hold them to account or not in the end is whatever. Football people know the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

None of the media really talking the 115 charges just shows what a joke it is. The media afraid of the middle east oil money just as much as the Premier League.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

4 in a row is incredible though. Whatever about their business dealings; to keep a side driven to win titles after titles is some achievement...

No doubt they're a great side. It's clear as day how they got here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

They can constantly refresh the squad. How many players have been there for all 4? Not many... Pep doesn't have to deal with coaxing performances out of lads who've checked out.. he can just replace them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And it certainly helps that motivation when you can turf out anyone you feel has lost the hunger, and have this continuous influx of hungry new players, without worrying about losses on fees or costs of transfers. Who else can just push out a player like Cancelo on loan for two years for instance, just decide "nah, don't fancy him anymore", and drop 100 million on a replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It is tempered by their ability to go out every summer and freshen up as per their desired targets while never losing players they want to keep during the peak of their careers. The latter bit is simply extraordinary too, Utd and Liverpool at their very best would periodically lose their biggest stars to the continent.

It’s all nonsense really. Absolutely, the team on the pitch at the end of the conveyor belt is one of the very best club football has ever seen. But it’s impossible to decouple it from the machine that broke the rules to create it, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It counts for nothing, same as Lance Armstrongs Tour de France wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Doku. Gvardiol. Some lad from Wolves. Couple hundred million to keep the best coach at the top…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Kovacic and Nunes have been utter flops too, but it makes little difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Not like Leicester winning the league, hard to warm to City, Pep and the machine have to be admired, however grudigly, but feal flat that Arsenal couldnt do it, but is a bit boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bernardo Silva signed for Man City in 2017.

After transfer rumours linking him to Barcelona, Bernardo Silva signed a new contract, on improved terms no doubt, for Man City in 2019. (Until 2025)

Atletico Madrid wanted to buy Bernardo Silva in 2021 and Pep confirmed that he wanted to leave, but he never did. I'm not sure what convinced him to stay.

Bernardo Silva handing in another transfer request amid bids from Barcelona and PSG in 2023, but then suddenly changing his mind to sign a new contract with one year extension. (until 2026). I'd assume improved terms here again, but this time crucially there was a release clause inserted for a fee (£50m) that was lower than the bids for him that summer.

And that's just one player.

But yes, it's that financial stuff that makes no difference to stuff on the field whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Can you not come up with something original and that is actually a good comparison?

City's actions are all about money not using Peds or cheating on the field.

Arsenal are right there, get elite players at left back and up top and they are favourites next year in my opinion.

Alphonso Davies seems to have lost his starting spot at Bayern and Osimhen is available. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I think they went with Tomiyasu too late. Zinchenko is over-rated and Kiwior didn't do that much but Tomi had that Asian professionalism to him.

And Havertz in a false number nine did more than Jesus too. City are good at selling players it seems, Palmer aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You don't think that money allowed Armstrong to gain an advantage? I suppose it was just good fortune that his ability to cheat went undiscovered for so long and that his mechanism to do so was provided in gratuity?

He certainly didn't use an army of lawyers intimidating the oversight committees or threats of litigation for anyone who dared question him. No sir. Definitely no comparison there.

2 seasons of going all in, with no end result to show for it, is a massive blow to Arsenal mentally.

Arteta did great to get those players back challenging this year, and even better again in January. Again, mentally to get them back in the race. They had a few breaks go their way but Arteta had their mindset in the right place so has to be commended for that. And the players too tbf. Gabriel, White, Rice, Odegaard, Havertz are the standouts for me since the turn of the year.

To do it a third time will take some feat. Getting those same group of players going all in again is a tough job, after a summer tournament too.

How hung up you are on this Armstrong/City thing is quite mad to behold… your reaction makes sense for the very first reference to it, where it's totally normal to seek clarification — at which point the original poster did that, pointing out exactly what their specific comparison was, and clarifying what they were not comparing.

All good and normal stuff — we all know where we stand — that nobody was saying City were taking drugs, with the comparison being the winning of many trophy's at the very top level by cheating through unfair advantage. Easy. But ya seem to just refuse to accept the declared comparison, and keep making it about the comparison that was very specifically not being made. It's mad stuff. It's a week now it's been rumbling on.

I think they could win a league with Havertz at 9 - but only if they're getting more goals out of their left-wing-forward. Martinelli only scoring 6 this season after 15 last season was a real drop, when they'd have maybe expected him to even kick on a bit.

The question is just if this season was a blip, and can he get back into heavy double figures next year. Get 16+ each out of Saka and Martinelli, along with Trossard and Jesus chipping in, and a guy like Havertz can work at 9, linking it all together, and still chipping in himself with 10 to 15.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

It's depends what they do this summer. If they can sign a world class striker and beef up the squad with some quality, then I believe they can go again. New faces can make a huge difference, especially if they come in and make an impact early.

The Havertz at false 9 complaints reminds me of the Firmino at false 9 complaints.

The real question marks should be placed at Martinelli & Saka only scoring 6 & 10 goals from open play. A goalscoring winger is a higher priority than a CF for Arsenal in the summer for me. Jesus is just sort of hanging around now so what happens there. Hard to sell him.

And a LB, obviously.

• Advertisement

People said the same at the end of last season RE hitting their ceiling. Majority of the squad is very young which bodes well in my eyes

Rice having only been there a year helps too - he can still definitely be the engine room of the team again next year. A few smart additions and I think they can properly challenge again… now, realistically, I think it's City's to lose as per usual, but think Arsenal can be there to take advantage if City leave an opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Trossard has 12 league goals, he shared Martinellis minutes so they need to be included IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Augme

Chelaea finish 6th. What a strange season for them. Finished 6th, final of the cabarao Cup, semi final in the fa Cup. Not the worst season in the world for any manager in their first year yet it might not be enough. Would be a very poor design to stack Poch but nothing would surprise me with Chelsea.

Trossard's been great alright, and they need that to continue - but Martinelli got 6 goals from 2000 minutes. Last season he got 15 goals from 2800 minutes. So it's more than just the drop in time, his goals-per-minutes is way down.

• Advertisement

Interesting question with the Pep/Arteta and playing so many CBs / pure 4 at the back.

Who blinks first?

Who changes first?

Good point tbf @AdamD can't quote for some reason.

Somebody brought it up again and I'm entitled to give my opinion.

I'm of the opinion that it's a stupid comparison. One is a peds cheat, the other a money chest. They bear no relation.

Fact of the matter is the titles were won by players on a field over a season. There was no cheating on the field of any sort. This comparison attacks the players as it envelops everything at the club.

The players don't deserve any insinuation of cheating sent their way.

Except that the comparison is the entity Man City, specifically, not the players. So no insinuations of any cheating for the individual players at all.

Man City FC = Lance Armstrong. Serial winners through unfair advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The cheating allows them to be on the pitch together. They’re part of that whether they like it or not and as a result all their achievements are tarnished. Personally I don’t dwell on it but it can’t just be completely overlooked either

The players are the biggest part of Manchester City in the eyes of the public. So any comparison between a drug cheat and the club is a stain on them.

How can you all not get this?

All the charges are related to activities up until 2019. How many of these players were there in 2019?

Good thing exactly what comparison is being made has been explained and clarified so many times, so there's no confusion :)

You.think everybody is going to see it that way? I'm pretty certain that a lot of people who don't follow the game so closely are going to think that City players are taking peds.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement