Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

wouldn’t be a first. Needs to calm the head, he’s still very much in this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Schauffele looks good. He might feel the pressure on the back 9 but he looks the winner at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

He's fairly obnoxious isn't he. Must be very warm in all black carrying that timber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think his race is run after that run of holes. Might finish top 5 but winning I’m not sure. Pairing isn’t helping as neither is dragging other like yesterday with rose

I think losing the head for the couple of holes is what did him in. The 3-putt on 8 looked to be as a result of the goings on the hole before and that put him 4 behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭big_drive

I think a Top 5 finish would be a good result at this stage now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Can't see him winning from this point of the round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

From a 62 yesterday to a nothing burger round today. I've barely seen any coverage of Shane's round, he's done so little, he's just threading water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Feel a bit for Shane, hard to stay calm playing golf when you hit perfect shots and the caddy gets yardage wrong. 2 shots gone. Then a poor 3 putt. Must be livid.

I think Shane's caddy will probably get the boot after this tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's a huge problem if you can't just forget about what happened previously whether it be bad or world class. You just gotta move on to the next shot fully focused on hitting a good one. You ain't winning if you can't move on.

2 shots gone? The hole he pulled the wrong club he still made par. The 2nd club he hit it over the green was a 3 or 5 wood from first cut so it likely jumped.

First one flew right over the flag, he thought he'd stitched it for birdie, made par. Second one he thought he was in close in 2 on a par 5. That's 2 shots, minimum. In his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭techdiver

It's unlikely that he was given a bad yardage by the caddy considering they can use range finders. He knows his own yardage so any mistake is his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭boardise

Is it really credibly the case that players playing golf from youth and now playing professionally almost every day of their lives , with practice experience of the course and yardage books crammed with detailed info …after all this they still need a caddy to tell them which club to use for a shot ?

As Techdiver said, they have rangefinders, so however likely it is he got a bad yardage once, no chance it happened twice. Most likely adrenaline and or slight fliers. Needs to take responsibility himself sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

On the 7th, did it bounce off a downslope/sprinkler? Seemed to shoot off further than woukd be normal

So it can happen once, but definitely can't happen twice. I see. Whatever actually happened, all I'm saying is what Shane's body language suggests he think happened.

We don't know what way they communicate or calculate clubs etc. Shane clearly blamed his caddy. The caddy could have been to blame.

Shane’s body language often suggests such. I’ve seen him f and blind his caddy out of it when giving him a line off the tee on a par 4 because he was in a mood.

If you think the caddy gave you a bad yardage on 6 then surely you glance through the range finder on 7 if you’ve any sense, do you not?

• Advertisement

Seemed to hit the downslope just off the back edge, sounded like hardpan though so could have been sprinkler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭bren2001

shanes always striked me as a "it's never my fault" type of player. If he hits it wrong, he got a bad yardage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭dublin49

Shane didnt leave 6 shots out there so wasnt winning today ,could have made a bit more money but thats all,decent finish T6 ,good weeks work,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭boardise

Birdied only one of the last 7 par fives he played …not a likely path to major success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭big_drive

Great week, showing good form. Plenty to look forward to now for rest of the season

Good result. Finding some form at the right time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

It was one of them rounds he started well but after the towel throw it was over for a win. What happened we don’t know. He was cut from tv coverage shortly after that. Maybe tv company didn’t want any f bombs

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Is Lowry getting a bad rep for the way he treats his caddie?

I remember bubba watson being very unpopular for loudly blaming his caddie after a bad shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It seems to be the go to. Players never make a bad shot. Plenty of examples of caddy blaming out there, it's what they get the big bucks for. 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭coillcam

Hard to know 100% if it was Darren's fault in this case. It does look like Shane clearly overclubbed twice. Rangefinders do give the correct yardage of course. It speeds up club selection but you can still get it wrong before swinging a club. Be it lie, wind, between clubs or shot type (fade, draw, low, high etc). There's a much less likely case of the rangefinder not tagging the flag and catching the background.

Regardless, Xander played class and it needed a worldy to clip him. Surprised how much Morikawa wilted away completely.

Advertisement