Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

loud rumblings to the west of cork city!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

They don't seem to be lasting enough to develop into the bigger cells but certainly producing lightning. Looks very heavy near Liosmore/ Cappoquin.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

Thunder now in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

Seems to be on west side, lightning now also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭thomil

Can confirm above observations. Visible lightning and loud rumbling in Ballincollig, western suburbs of Cork. Also, Intense rainfall. My weather station recorded 6.3mm in about ten minutes. Sky seems to be clearing to the north & east of me now.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Lashing rain/hail SE Tipp, sun still shining. Easing now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The cell is fading over West Waterford now. Very hit and miss these storms. Ballincollig an example where the thunder hopped over Cork City and then reignited when it appeared gone. Another couple of hours in this where right across the South needs to be watchful

Here in Carrigaline we hear the rumbles, though quiet for a good while now. Still bone dry but has got way cooler now. That "muggy" heat is now gone

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

west of ballincollig

absolutely biblical and constant rumblings overhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Shower on the Tippy/Offaly border as viewed from Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Had a heavy shower (SW Laois) about an hour ago, but most of the convection stayed off to my West. Doesn't look like it generated any sparks. All the fun happening down in the South and South East.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭thomil

All dry again here in Ballincollig. The air is noticeably fresher, air temps dropped from 23C to 16.5C as the cell moved through. Total rainfall of 19.4mm within a single hour.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Still quite active.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Funnel cloud on way to Millstreet from Macroom near Carraganima about 20 minutes ago!! If they touch the ground they are considered to be a tornado according to Wikipedia

Again tomorrow getting quite warm as the fog burns off, clearing to good levels of sunshine in general kicking off convection as the day progresses , fog may linger on some coasts. DP's getting into the mid teens, moist air in the atmosphere and warm air also contributing to instability along with the upper Low which will be positioned over the Northern half of the country in the afternoon on. Slacker low level winds from the land and the sea leading to areas of convergence with a bit less upper shear tomorrow but still enough to help punch up those storms that might get going. Storms may last into the evening and there could be a few into the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Can see below AROMES cloud formation predictions leading to much convection migrating from E to W to NW, looks like a lot of maturing storms through the midlands, Connaught and the NW

Heads up Tuesday looking like another thunderstorm day and could be wetter in parts especially in the Eastern half of the country with the transit of a short wave trough during peak diurnal heating in the afternoon and the upper trough looks going negative which can help to fuel up the storms also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Warning has been extended till 23:30

• Advertisement

See full forecast here https://www.estofex.org/

Mainly warning for heavy rainfall from slow moving storms.

Warnings from Met Eireann no doubt to follow.

Storm Forecast
    Valid: Mon 20 May 2024 06:00 to Tue 21 May 2024 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Sun 19 May 2024 20:38
    Forecaster: PUCIK

What was picked up today.

The ATD map from Netweather would be more tuned in to CG strikes. Blitzortung would capture a lot more CC lightning .

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Nice bit of action in West limerick now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pad199207

Cousins reporting large claps of thunder and lightning in Broadford Limerick

Outside my door for the last 20 minutes looking at the lighting show towards Broadford direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I see the arse has fallen out of the forecast today for thunderstorms in the west ,hail.lightning,spot flooding, the classic old met eireann downgrade language 'a few thundery showers' while MT mentions an isolated thunder shower. gas.

should have known last night when estofex issued a warning.

looks like after today were heading back to woeful monsoon muck, cool and wet, early june looks like complete trash, meanwhile the continent will be entering into full summer mode, with a swathe of warmth moving up across the entire continent from north africa, as we revert back to winter with 12 degree max buried under thick layers of grey stratus gloom to ensure the longest day are runined.

god whod be irish.

Just my opinion: I am surprised at Met Éireann's forecast and choice of words, to me the models tell a different story, still looking like quite widespread possibility of thunderstorms in the Northern half of the country ( if you drew a line from Limerick to Waterford, North of that ) with heavy rain in places leading to spot flooding, storms could persist into the evening a a few overnight into Tues morning, Tues another active day. Could be some heavy storms in the Midlands, West and NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Cavan, Donegal, Connacht, Longford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy downpours with thunderstorms and hail.

Potential impacts:

• Spot flooding
    • Difficult traveling conditions
    • Poor visibility

Valid: 14:00 Monday 20/05/2024 to 21:00 Monday 20/05/2024

Issued: 10:39 Monday 20/05/2024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

And the My lightning tracker app can show more strikes again. The app was registering strikes from borris to St.Mullins yesterday when indeed it was thundering. And those weren't showing up on those two sites above.

Advertisement