Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Cork 3-26 Tipperary 1-17 with about ten minutes to go here.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Referee gives a non existent square ball 🙄

Assuming Clare will beat Tipp, then a Limerick and Waterford draw is the only result that would be a disaster next weekend and put Cork out.

We trounced Tipp in their own backyard by almost twenty points! We just need Limerick to care of Waterford next week for us now, but all credit to Pat Ryan and the players. Both parties have really stepped up to the plate over the past two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Disaster for this year yes... but make no mistake about it Cork hurlers are going to win Liam Mccarthy in the very near future... they were even better today than last sat night again limerick... a period of dominance similar to KK in the naughties is ahead for Cork.. and as well as a serious wave of talent coming thru in Cork.. the other counties such as Kk and Tipp are at a low ebb and will be down for a while

I see some of the Wahurford contingent are gracing us with their presence! Walsh Park against us a few weeks ago was your all Ireland.

Whoever is third in Munster will play the Joe McDonagh Cup winners in the prelim quarter final.

The winners of that will play the Leinster runners up in the quarter final.

As long as we get out of Munster there's a great chance for an all Ireland semi final appearance at the very least here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭lukin

I see a lot of Limerick supporters saying they would be happy to draw with Waterford if it meant knocking us out.

Unbelievable bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

No they're not... Anyone I know are hoping for a good Limerick win next week.

• Advertisement

Limerick will be a totally and utterly different animal in Croke Park outside of that i'd have no fears of the rest of the field.

We probably took Waterford for granted and a sending off proved to be costly against Clare. Tipp are by a fair distance the worst team in Munster at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭lukin

I've seen a load of Limerick supporters saying they hope they draw with Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Where? You asked a question in the Limerick Forum and you received 1 reply .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭The White Feather

What a great win!

it is great to see things really clicking and Cork getting into top gears. I thought we would do this to Tipp but what made me worried beforehand is I thought we would do the same to Waterford first day out!

Tipp are at a low ebb at the moment and need to rebuild but Cork v Tipp games can take on a life of their own so it was always a worry.

There was an amazing stat before this game. In the first 2 games, Connolly had 15 possessions and we scored from 14 out of 15 of them. The other one was a shot that he had a goal saved. So in other words, if we get him on the ball we score! Today we got him more on the ball.

We have been finishing games very strongly and today was no different. The S and C of Cork really stands out. I thought Tipp were looking very tired at the end of the first half whereas we were still going. They were doing their best to hang on to us. The goal must have been a killer for them.

Its annoying having to wait and see if we get through but hopefully we will. We did what we have to do and fair dues to our supporters who travelled in huge numbers to Thurles. It really must have been a big lift for the lads to see it whereas disheartening for Tipp players.

Getting 2 good games in a row is hopefully the sign of consistency that we have all wanted for so long. You can see the confidence in our play now and the players look like they believe they can beat anyone on the day now.

So now we got to wait and see results next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,084 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We owe that to Tipp. Lot of respect for Tipp myself but they have broke our heart over years.

Hurling needs Tipp but was worrying seeing them being so out numbered today.

Cork were exceptional though in the second half.

It was nice to sit back and enjoy last 15 minutes for change

In all the excitement, we must congratulate the ladies too on winning a Munster Camogie title today!

Well done !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Seadin

Tipp have had the better of us over the last 10-15 years. We needed to do that to them to banish some of those demons. Well done Pat Ryan and all the Cork panel. Great to prove so many people wrong including myself.

Post edited by Seadin on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,761 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Only home now..... Battered the shite out of Tip in Thurles - don't say that very often!

What a day ! The Clare 65 set the tone for entering Semple with confidence.

Shockingly poor from Tip to be outnumbered in such a way for a home match - pityful amount of supporters in fairness.

In stark contrast, I reckon that was the biggest travelling Cork support I've ever seen go to Thurles - the 'home' terrace was a sea of Red.

So many brilliant performances. A cracker of a goal on the stroke of ht - lead to a second half that was a true demolition job - unreal performance.

So many positives.

A great day in the sun, watchingThe Rebels play the best sport in the world exactly as it should be played.

The venue for the U20 Munster hurling final on friday is meant to be decided tomorrow. Supposed to be a neutral venue but gaelic grounds meant to be not available

Maybe a coin toss decides it?

• Advertisement

I think that win for me wiped the slate clean after that defeat to Tipp in that 2014 all Ireland semi final. That game and that 1991 Munster final replay would be the most traumatic defeats to Tipp in my lifetime!

It would be a shame for our summer to end just when we're coming into form. Hopefully we won't end up ruing those defeats to Waterford and Clare!

Is that the end of Pairc Ui Chaoimh for the year for intercounty? It looks like the football group game against Donegal will be in Pairc Ui Rinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

That's pie in the sky talk imo - especially considering we play in Munster and don't have the cakewalks KK had into semi finals every year. I'll take one AI to start with at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Seadin

I just hope either Waterford or Limerick win because I wouldn't be surprised if there was a match fixing result of a draw to put both teams through at our expense. It just wouldn't surprise me. I can't see Tipp beating Clare on yesterdays game but it's a shot to nothing for Tipp so you just never know.

The sea of red in Thurles yesterday reminded me of the summer of 2003 again with a new star Connolly emerging like Setanta. Obviously the weather in 2024 didn't match that of 2003 but there is a feel good factor again in Cork hurling which hasn't been there for a while. Hope we get a chance to progress out of Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,084 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

1991. Was my first time in thurles. Was only 7 in the town end. I remember tipp fans coming into pitch when got goals near end.

While I was gutted it's super rivalry. Tipp have great fans(get bye for yesterday).

I'm certain the Munster football final was on same day cause I remember hearing score on radio with my dad. Limerick should won that day.

Those were special days, but yesterday ya can add to list.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Fair play for being there at 7 and remembering! My first pre 93 league final memory was being carried by the crowd trying to hold dad's hand in the Pairc Vs Tipp I think, but couldnt tell you the year.

Connolly extracted revenge for uncle Jim after Declan Ryan broke his wrist in 91 as he was having a MOTM performance!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,761 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I had been to Thurles a few times by the time the first real memory happened. '87, - Fenton's goal. I was in the stand around the 50 on the Town End side and had a savage view of it.

Seeing fellas watching the game from on top of the stand was a common occurance in those years also. They'd be arrested and the Munster Council fined if it happened today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

How could you even fix a draw in hurling? if there's only a point or two in it coming up the stretch maybe someone can give away a soft free or someone has a late free to win it drives it wide i guess not impossible, not easy to do though, some gas lads on this forum types who believe aliens control the planet kind of stuff…you also need both panels of 30 and all the backroom staff in on it and have no leaks or possible criminal penalties..not going to happen lads Jesus tis only hurling not politics !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I was on the Tipp terrace in Thurles for the Munster final 1984. Tipp goalie batted down the ball & Seanie O'Leary buried it. A great day, though the Tipp people with me weren't too happy!

• Advertisement

A match fixing of a draw in hurling is nonsense. Assuming Clare beat Tipp then a loss for Limerick means they go out. Equally Waterford are gone if they lose. Why the hell would they risk trying to fix for a draw with those fine margins?

Advertisement