Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2024 **spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,352 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Another win for Sam… uphill on cobbles (?) I think. Had to dig deep, there were 2 other riders with him from the reduced peloton.

Now has a 28 seconds lead over Penhoet going into the final stage tomorrow.

Preliminary results of the stage below.

RNK.

RIDER

TEAM

TIME

BENNETT Sam

Decathlon AG2R La Mondiale Team

4:24:31

PENHOËT Paul

Groupama - FDJ

0:00

BERCKMOES Jenno

Lotto Dstny

0:00

VAN BOVEN Luca

Bingoal WB

0:03

DELETTRE Alexandre

St Michel - Mavic - Auber93

BREUILLARD Nicolas

St Michel - Mavic - Auber93

NAESEN Oliver

Decathlon AG2R La Mondiale Team

0:06

MENTEN Milan

Lotto Dstny

0:10

WATSON Samuel

Groupama - FDJ

LEROUX Samuel

Van Rysel - Roubaix

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/4-jours-de-dunkerque/2024/stage-5/live

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

loved that win for Sam. One of the best of his career. Might only be a .pro stage win, but it looked and felt like a mini-classic. All he has to do is finish with a bunch sprint and he’s going to win a stage race too. Great to see him looking so strong

PS he’s already equalled his wins total in 2022 and 2023…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Last couple of km from today's stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Winning a sprint stage in a race like this was nice given where he was coming from but nothing to get too excited about.

But winning today's stage and probably GC is a real show of strength. Some year for the team and lots of guys putting hands up for the Tour.

Speaking of France the predictions are that this could be Irelands best ever Olympics in terms of number of medal contenders and it would be amazing if someone like Healy could be part of that. The course is "made for Loulou" so Healy and Dunbar could do well if they play it smart.

• Advertisement

Lara Gillespie wins a 1.1 race in Belgium ahead of Zoe Backstedt. Her biggest win to date

Seth Dunwoody second in a junior race stage today too

And Sam seals the overall GC win in Dunkerque (aka Grand Prix des Hauts de France) with a victory on the final stage.

Class by Sam. 4 stages and the overall GC. Just an incredible week for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭dahat

First year junior Conor Murphy won Stade Bianchi jnr today, savage rider & he was in A3 not 5/6 weeks ago 😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

I like that when people read that Sam won 4 stages at the 4 days of Dunkirk... They'll just assume he got the clean sweep.

• Advertisement

Would be even better if he won 5 days out of 4.

Didn't there used to be sometimes 2 stages in one day in some of the Grand Tours… iirc Sean Kelly talking about them on commentary.

So it could be like that, but it isn't :)

I'm guessing the original 4 days of Dunkirk was subsumed in the wider  Grand Prix des Hauts de France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Aye split stages, the year Roche won the Giro I think there was a split stage, with the Poggio included as a downhill TT. I may have that arseways now .. but they were common enough way back when GTs needed the start/finish fees to survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

From memory, there were split stages in the Nissan Classic as well.

Tour of Britain were still doing the odd split stage in London. Sprint and TT split seeing as the British were very good at both for a while there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Stephen Roche's first TdF stage win was a split stage on Col d'Aubisque in 1985. IIRC, he wore a skinsuit with pockets hand-sewn into the back - the first speedsuit?

Just looking back - 22 stages plus a prologue and just one rest day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Catching up on the Antwerp Port race and Girmay should have been relegated in my opinion after a very dangerous nudge into an Israel rider I think which almost had him doing a Fabio Jacobsen into the barriers. He wasn't on the podium so the organisers probably didn't see the point but the idea is surely to stop this behaviour.

3 of the grand tour stages won by Irish men were split stages

1979 Vuelta stage 8a by Kelly (Standard stage with sprint finish followed by a 15 min prologue style ITT in the evening)

1985 Tour stage 18a by Roche. 52.5km race up to the Aubisque (Kelly was second). Afternoon stage was 83kms to Pau. Kelly 3rd, Roche 5th. Roche sat 3rd, Kelly 4th on GC

1987 Giro Stage 1b by Roche. 10 min ITT after a 30km mountain stage earlier that day. He was 4th there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think this years TdF Femme has a split stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,738 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I see Wout is back today in the Tour of Norway. It's a stage he can win if he's fully healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,738 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I didn't put anything on it. As I said it's a stage he could win if he's fully healthy.

And betting on cycling is a bit nuts. Outside of the brutal mountain stages and sprints it's impossible to call. Even the sprints are difficult to predict.

Finn Crockett wins the first stage in the 2.2 ranked Tour de la Mirabelle

Fiona Mangan 4th in final stage of 2.1 Bretagne Ladies Tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Thud

Pro cycling stats has Sam down for the Dauphine and Healy on TdeF squad already

Archie Ryan and Darren Rafferty are back in action tomorrow for the “Mercan'Tour Classic Alpes-Maritimes”

It’s been won by climbers in the 3 years it’s been run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What race will Vingegaard do or is it straight to the tour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

He's running out of road...hes not doing the dauphine, and currently not listed for tour de suisse the week after, which finishes 2 weeks before the tour. There's no worldtour or proseries race after that, before the tdf starts. I'd imagine it'll be a few weeks at altitude instead of proper racing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It's likely that if he goes to the tour it will be week 3 where he is found out much like Podjacar last year.

Advertisement