Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

That massive war Raging in Nigeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

The question is not in the formal process in the link. Are you sure you’re not confusing with NGOs discuss with the formal process?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Augme

You seem to have forgotten what the topic of our conversation is about. It's about similarities between the UK and Ireland. Not the UK and Africa. UK and Ireland are very much not similar when it comes to the countries attitudes and acceptances to foreign cultures.

Again, I suggest educating yourself yourself on Brexit and the reasons why the UK left the EU. Then compare it to Ireland's attitude to the EU and freedom of movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well, in a similar vein, the idea that employees of NGOs are advising asylum seekers how to 'cheat the system' is surely bogus. Anyone doing this would get into serious trouble with their managers - they can only advise people according to whatever guidelines have been issued. Go on a solo run and they would bring a load of trouble on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ECookie13

This is the usual paintbrush tactic when all the factual polls prove otherwise. This post was possibly correct 2/3 years ago, but not anymore and that's a fact, Jack.

And also the typical one-size-fits-all "immigration" tactic, when it's been covered millions of times how there are big differences in legal, skilled-based immigration and the issue we are in.

• Advertisement

If you think the European and local election parties are going to be won by anti immigration parties I've some magic beans to sell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Can you really speak for the Irish people ?

I explained yesterday that as a born and bred Irishman, I despair at what is happening to my country.

You refused to answer if you were Irish or not. When asked, you said ..

"I know it will disappoint you, and it disappoints me, but this thread isn't about me. So who I am, where I'm from, what I do and anything else about me is off topic unfortunately."

And this is precisely what we the Irish people fear most - ie. folk swanning in from elsewhere (purportedly under the guise of fleeing war) telling us how and what to think.

Give me strength

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Germans laughed at the fledgling Nazi party one time....

You certainly don't speak for Irish people given the fact you've been pushing narratives that the vast majority of Irish people don't support. Anti immigration candidates aren't going to sweep the EU and local elections, yet you refuse to accept that.

The majority of Irish people don't agree with you, accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

I don't need to educate myself. I've forgotten more about modern British history than you'll ever know in your lifetime so give this junior cerl level drivel a rest.

There are far more immigrants entering the UK both from within and without the EU than before Brexit which hugely undermines your argument that Britain was turning insular and less welcoming to foreigners. Net migration hit over 700,000 people there last year with the majority coming from 3rd world nations.

Ireland would collapse with a similar sustained rise in immigration. In fact, our reaction to a few hundred tents on mount street and the grand canal shows that we're exactly alike with those British people who voted for Brexit.

The ordinary men and women of Ireland can't understand why these people are here after bouncing around the EU for years and why we are supposed to feed and house them for an indefinite period with nothing back in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

There's going to be almost no mainstream Irish political parties left who are pro-immigration especially of the illegal kind.

I can accept some Irish people don't agree with everything I believe in, but that does not change what I believe in and know to be factual information by one iota.

Can you accept the same? Somehow you seem to think you can throw about sweeping statements for the general population.

Work away, anyone with a brain knows that the statements you are throwing about are only believed by a small minority within Ireland nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Always interesting that the Woke Left contributors on here try to paint the views of Irish people who are against Illegal immigration as being "Anti-Immigration" when the reality is that many of us work with and are friends with people who have legally emigrated here and contribute to society, and don't just come here expecting everything handed to them.. A typical tactic that puts off most people by fear of being seen as racist…

Brexit was driven by anti immigration sentiment and was largely based on the fact that the UK didn't have control on their borders. So they voted to leave. Now, what happened after they left doesn't change the fact and reasons they voted to leave. Everyone except the people who voted to leave the EU knew that leaving the EU wouldnt make any difference on the number of asylum seekers they were going to receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Have they run out of fences, along the canal?

Of course I accept that. I never claimed every Irish person thinks the same as I do. I accept there are a small of Irish people, like @john123470, who believe integration is impossible, who think "these people" (i.e. foreigners) will "will use their number to strongarm local elections."

As I've said, the upcoming elections will tell where.Irish people stand on those.issues.

When some says this, it blatantly clear what their position is on immigration. Stop pretending otherwise.

Why is it so hard for the pro immigration lobby to accept that Irish people do not want their culture / values diluted and replaced?

^ Nail on the head here. Communicating with this person is a waste of time.

It does remind one though of the immediate urgency in getting a deportation infrastructure up and running before we are overrun

Funnily enough, this tactic did seem to work a year or two ago but not anymore. Anyone who mingles socially with groups will see how much more comfortable people are nowadays about speaking their minds regarding the asylum seekers/refugee situations, in public especially.

It stinks of a last-resort tactic as they know they're in the minority now and the "BIGOT, RACIST" shouting tactic does not work anymore either. The only place that still seems to work like that is the little reddit Ireland forum, but that place is near satire at this stage and mods just ban anyone who does not fit in the echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

A FG TD called Jennifer Carroll MacNeill has just finished an interview on RTE radio. As far as I could gather (see below) she stated that FG policy is that all the various refugees and asylum seekers arriving in their droves are welcome to stay and work here in the future. Who, why, how and when did this become some sort of official policy. Who did Jennifer Carroll MacNeill and FG consult before they decided to wreck this great change on Irish society? Why do they think they have to right to direct this? The f******** arrogance of them is astounding, far too long in office.

Not related but why do many of these FG TDs, wannabee TDs, choirboys all speak like motormouths? They're like clones of each other as regards this rapid fire rhetoric. Instead of pacing their points and letting them sink in, they rattle on like a machine gun and you're left thinking, what did they just say? I can only conclude that this is a function of their lack of confidence in what they're saying and/or a desire to obfuscate and bamboozle, deceive the public. Whatever, out with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Incomers will integrate as long as numbers are small, they are obliged to. When numbers are substantial though as they are now, different ethnic and cultural groups will form their own cliques and 'ghettoes'. The phrase 'birds of a feather flock together' is as true as it ever was.

A cornerstone of our policy re refugee and asylum seekers has to be to restrict and control the inflow, so as to facilitate integration and not allow groupings to form. John is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Can you not see how it came about, it’s to do with a lack of a spine. One dominant person at a table and a cackle of yes men/women/They/thems runs the country. You are punished and chastised for not toeing the party line as was witnessed in Galway with what went on with the two FF councellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

I’d not pay to much attention to that TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

So in other words, the perceived persecution you speak of never actually existed and people were always free to speak their minds about it as demonstrated by the fact that people openly speak their minds about it right now in public, as you say yourself, and they all haven't been dragged off to the gulag.

Has it crossed your mind that it is possibly a rational conclusion to make that refugees were not a topic for discussion in Ireland up to a year or two ago because it quite simply was not a major topic in Ireland generally as we had not really experienced taking in such a large number of refugees before? And that — I dunno, just maybe — the fact that we did has therefore led to discussion and debate on it during the time since?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Just ignore JCMCN, she'd say anything to portray herself as the poster-child for EU wokeness, and is increasingly out of touch with the Irish people who support legal Immigration but not mass-illegal immigration. It's woke politicians like her who are pushing ordinary people into voting for "far" right candidates in elections..

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Sunjava

But one of the reasons for Brexit was the fact that the British were sick of immigration....the same feeling of being fed up is beginning to show itself in Ireland. Our pro EU/freedom of movement ethos is starting to crack similar to the way it well and truly cracked in Britain, whether for right or for wrong. The EU and it's freedom of movement is great...for Europeans but now we are seeing it abused and manipulated by those it was never meant to serve.

From memory, I thought the Irish statesmen and women (in video above) were elected to office on a mandate to serve the Irish electorate who voted them into power ?

Health, housing, crime were to be robustly tackled. Those were the promises. Granted, Covid and the war in Ukraine interrupted play. We stepped up, did our bit despite having our own woeful housing shortages, to help out 100 000+ Ukranian (genuine) refugees

The speed with which our government acted in magicking up housing, funds for Ukranian refugees would make you dizzy.

What nobody expected (or voted for) was Roderic O Gorman to follow up on our good nature re the Ukranian folk with his Ellis island type declaration via his tweets to the world at large to ..

"Bring me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door! ..." (To which i'll gift you your very own key and a few bob to keep you going while i sort out a passport for you). I dont remember voting for that !!

Had they worked as hard on behalf of their own Irish people who voted them into power, we could have solved our very own housing crisis in rapid fire time. One can only conclude that the werlfare and health of the Irish public is the last thing on their minds.

Something very, very rotten in the state of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There's not a chance Ireland can opt out of EU freedom of movement rules without leaving the EU and Single Market.

Also, going down this route would mean Irish people would no longer have any automatic right to live, work or study in the EU27 or the EEA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

@john123470 if my memory serves me correctly, Rodder’s multiple language tweets went out in Feb 2021 so before the Ukraine war.

Advertisement