Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not sure he held back. Think just a pause, to set, and then ref intervened

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

think Usyk was sorta waiting to see

If he went down or not. Fury was bouncing all over the place it was difficult to say where he’d be.

Just on the excuses I accept your point. He did acknowledge that he was hurt. Various stages he was outlanding Usyk or it was very narrow so to think he was at least close isn’t that outrageous. John blowing smoke up his ass was no help either. When the cards were so close he wants to justify the rematch too so I’ll allow that one. He didn’t rant and rave like joshua. On joshua, does he now beat fury? I’d near count that 50-50

No issue with him saying he thought he won. But to then add that Usyk only won due to a sympathy verdict was crass. And a real lame excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

yea I agree that was pathetic and not dissimilar to ajs nonsense. I’m not sure Fury can improve much on that at this stage. His number looks to be up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

A very good fight, that Fury contributed a lot to, to be fair.

He’s a pretty dislikeable character, and people are glad to see him beaten, but he did play his part.

I think it’s hard to see Fury win the rematch. Usyk is superb, and Fury did bring his A game, but couldn’t match the Ukrainian. It’s hard to think Fury has much scope for improvement.

The referee really should have stopped it, he has been praised for allowing it to continue, but for me that was a touch reckless.

Fury is getting criticised for his post fight comments about the war, but it’s unfair to expect much from a fighter at such a moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Rewatcehd the fight last night,
    Was a very good fight & still think it was a 1 round fight, Both guys showed there strengths are there weakness,

Fury had Usyk bamboozled for 3 or 4 rounds on the bounce, he really had him all over the shop,

Usyk bounced back brilliantly &

You know what as brilliant as both guys are technically, the difference was cardio, Fury tired & got lazy stepped square on & the fight changed,

I always think around 7 to 9/10 is where fitness shows , The last 2 both fighters are knackered & you get through it knowing how close the end is,

I really think Lifestyle was the big difference ,it sounds like something small but its huge because its what your doing outside of the ring & outside of training for your entire life its the hardest part, As Fury tired Usyk could go to the well one more time,

Fantastic fight

In a strange way both men are very close to the end ,

What else has Usyk got to fight for & who else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if you are usyk do you just see f it, im 37, double undisputed, why risk your 0 in a rematch

or do you take the extra 100m….

Usyk could well retire now and he'd never need a cent in his life. Hugely wealthy. Undisputed in two weight classes. But I think he has real pride and principle. He'll give a rematch!

If Usyk has another good camp and is really ready for rematch, I think he can win again, and do even better. He is just born to win. I think Fury may struggle to get up for the rematch as much as Usyk

Then again, Fury is so big, and when you watch their fight, you can see Fury has enough power to really hurt Usyk. As I said, some shots from Fury were bombs, that were missing by millimeters.

i think the man he is he'll take the rematch then walk away,

Sure even if he loses he's done it all ,

What you guys think, but a punch that I think Fury needs to work on, even change, is his jab. It's too much a slap, sideswipe and I think Usyk was able to read it so well. Fury's jab needs to be straighter and more correct/stiff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

There will be a rematch between them as they are contracted to do so, this really is not boxing any more only Saudi money and a comedy show, auld Fury playing to the media head butting and roaring and shouting and British are no good and he loves Saudi any ordinary person went on like that out there he would be in prison. The next match Fury will win and they both retire as undisputed champions, boxing is so corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

The IBF are going to call a mandatory and step usyk so no undisputed if they fight again.

Edit sorry, strip usyk

Sorry, but where at all in the 3-4 rds did Fury have Usyk "all over the shop?" Reading this, you would be thinking he was teeing off on him consistently, rocking him, wobbling him, man-handling him…it was not remotely close to this. Fury landed a few good shots in those 3-4 rds is all, and a couple times, Usyk showed he was bothered. That is the absolute extent to it; but the way you describe it here is just way OTT.

Sorry probably the wrong term i mean in terms of not having an answer which was particular visible in 5 & 6 , They where easy Usyk worst back to back rounds at HW, No wonder Usyk was looking for the cross to kiss he was struggling

In the the first 7 rounds Fury out landed Usyk in 5 of them the two he didnt there was only 1 & 2 shots in it , 8,9,10 where the rounds where Usyk really landed in volume,

Its hard to tell but at the time i thought Fury took 8 off ( which happens a lot at HW) , & started 9 well but then got lazy stood square & the punch that changed the fight landed,

I really do think fitness & lifestyle is what made the difference in this fight in the end m

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭GHendrix

I think both fighters need to take the rematch. It was a close fight and a split decision.

I’m sure Fury will fancy another crack. He was close and with a few adjustments still has a chance in a rematch.

Usyk will want to remove any question marks.

Reads like excuses to me. Way Before fight you were saying Fury, then said Fury “if” legs good , then switched to Usyk. Usyk wins, with vast majority saying deserved, and you say Fury won; then implying Fury had Usyk in bad-shape.. and now he only lost because of lifestyle… seriously, this is ridiculous.

Usyk was absolutely fantastic Saturday night. He earned that win with his brilliance. Fury lost to a better man. Oh, and a clearly smaller man, too.

And Fury 5-10 seconds away from being proper ko’d

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭GHendrix

Also, it wouldn’t surprise me if they both call it a day when they are finished with each other. Particularly Fury.

He hasn’t looked after himself in life at times and that’s only going to hurt him more and more the further into his late 30s he goes.

Prime Fury beats AJ. Late 30s Fury after the wars he’s been through against a younger fresher AJ would be a tough one to call.

There are 0 question marks on who won that fight..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I thought Usyk lifted off because he thought the ref was coming i to stop the fight.

And then the ref bails out Fury instead.

• Advertisement

The referee didn't bail him out. He simply applied the boxing rules. I'd say Usyk looks back and thinks I should have been more aggressive/ruthless in that moment to get in one more heavy shot. He definitely paused in the moment.

That's how gone Fury was. There would be no argument had the referee jumped in to stop the fight seconds before Fury landed on the ropes. Fury was in a very dangerous and almost defenceless position during the onslaught

Excuses for what ? I wasn't fighting ,They are 2 blokes iv never meet it doesn't effect my life in any manner,

I thought for years Fury would win & then the last fight had me changing my opinion on it, what the issues with that ? again why wouldn't i base my opinion off the account each man gave in there last outing,

I said on here last week i thought Usyk would win on points which he did, it was closer than i thought

Yes i think lifestyle was the deciding factor again what wrong with that, Both men are equally as skilled in my booked but the fitness due to life style allowed Usyk to close the show,

If Usyk is just miles better like many are making out how in the world did it end up being a 1 round fight ?? that just makes no sense Both men are exceptional fighter but Usyk had more on the night ,in my eyes it was his gas tank which he should be commended on, that doesn't happen by accident he works his arse off for it ,

Yes he was smaller than Fury but almost most are, He's still 6'3 & 223lbs stone he's a bigger man than likes of Mike & Evander

a

He's not bigger than prime Mike. Tyson was 220 as well, and very stocky and sturdy. Tyson also a HW from aged 19 or so. Taller, yes…not bigger. Holyfield was a ripped/lean 205-210 in early 1990s, and near 220 when in his mid 30s. Usyk little more meat/flesh. Not bigger. Holyfield same height as well. Both CWs for parts career. Holyfield moved to HW aged 25/26 or so. Usyk was an amateur at 200 lbs at aged 25/26

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

What qualifications has John Fury got to be in the corner of a World Championship fight.

Tyson's corner was chaotic between rounds. John Fury shouting over Sugar and Andy Lee - madness.

Usyk's was complete calm, one voice.

I reckon he probably was in his mid to late 30s to see him transform and really bulk up. That bulk/extra weight in 1995/1996 really allowed him absorb shots even better.

Point stands though. Him and Usyk are pretty much same sized men. Same height, and similar weights for their ages through the years

Usyk should walk away now, undefeated. What a career.

Nothing left to prove and doesn't strike me as a guy motivated by endless millions.

It's tiresome comparing eras, but the last few years have had very exciting fights at heavyweight. Not sure the next generation coming up will provide the same. Or if there even is a generation coming up.

Both men where smaller in there prime its not even a debate its factually

Mike weighed less when he beat Berbick & lost to Buster that was his prime years

Both Mike & Evander weighed less when they fought each other twice,

Both weigh less & are smaller in height,

Crusierweight limit was 190lbs for Evander, That was the reason Mike couldn't fight in that class,

The limit for Usyk was 205lbs

i think everyone would agree but i think he will fight in the rematch & then go ,

He will fancy himself again & won't leave with a ? of why not take the rematch he's not that type of guy ,

If Fury had of won he probably would retire ,

• Advertisement

Usyk wearing pants and a chain is 223 lbs. At 37 years old. Tyson aged 20 in 1986 and 1987 was weighing 220+ in underwear. Usyk has had 6 or so HW fights and max weight is 223 in "chain and pants." He has been below 220 a couple times.

Not sure what you’re reading. Aged 33/34/35 Tyson was weighing 223, and as high as 225 lbs..

What is factual here?

And regardless, Usyk compared to Fury is small. I never mentioned Tyson or Evander. It’s flat out incorrect to say Usyk bigger than Mike. Only taller..

What is Usyk’s prime? Tyson’s is 1986-1990, and he weighed as heavy as 221 in underwear.

And CW limit for Usyk was 205 lbs? CW has been 200 lbs max quite a while now. It was 190 lbs

So Mike in prime and not prime was still weighing 220 and above

Advertisement