Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

What's the story with Neil Montgomery? Is it an injury? Think he was missed the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭razorronan

I believe when clubs were emailed about tickets it said Waterford have been allocated the Clare End Terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

That wide / 65 in the first minute is really a mystery. There’s a video doing the rounds of it from behind the goal. It doesn’t look to have gone wide before the keeper saves it, the near side umpire waves it wide, the far side umpire (who made the last call) gives a 65 and the linesman comes in to mark the spot for a 65.
    Yet the puckout was allowed to be taken while Waterford players protested.
    No idea how it wasn’t mentioned on the Sunday Game or any podcast, given it was a one point game in the end.

Imagine if that call had happened in the last minute the coverage it would have got.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gisele

Think Waterford have had the luck already from very poor refereeing against Cork and Tipp.

The only bad luck they had was getting proper match officials yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

We could have done with these ‘proper match officials’ when the obvious 65 not being given in the first minute and the Clare 65 not being taken from the correct spot in the final minute

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Whitenblue93

The truth hurts, James Owens gave Waterford the benefit of baffling decisions in their opening two games.

The umpire yesterday was dead right and should not have been heckled- a thankless job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

What was the craic with the square ball at the end of the Wat/Tipp game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Clare end is the terrace assigned as the Waterford terrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭dilinja1

we finally put up a performance in Ennis and probably deserved a point from it. Frustrating way to end the game, but the goals we gave away were very poor. credit to the lads for keeping going and getting some cracking scores when Clare were threatening to pull away. Shane O Donnell was immense for Clare.

Still in our hands but again frustrating as we really should be through to the AI series at this stage. Our last two championship games have been relatively close with Limerick (2022 game debatable) and BG have shown how to win the last 2 years in the gaelic grounds lets hope we can draw on some of that experience on Sunday and eke out the result we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Bigsliothar

anyone know how long prunty is out for?

@Gisele the square ball against tipp?, the 65 we should of had yesterday at the very start of the game, the 65 not taken from the spot , the umpire not having a clue what was going on at the end ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I presume you mean Cork v Tipp game? It seemed like a sympathy vote. He didn’t even consult. And it was clear as day in the stadium that the ball, relatively speaking, spent a lot of time in the square before Horgan entered. Anyway, it looks like that decisions won’t have any bearing on anything.

Are you talking about the 65 he waved wide in the first minute?

No I wasn't referring to that, thanks for the input thought🤙

All of these were correct decisions though…..

Square Ball - isn't it the rule that its when the ball was struck, he enters the square after the ball is in there. Fair goal.

65 ye should have had - baffling, don't think this was a 65, referee and umpire correctly disagreed, ball was wide.

Favourable decisions -

James Owens rode Cork here like he did in 2017. The man should not ref Cork v waterford games. The damien cahalane sending off was comical and he was far more harsh on the Cork tackling than the Waterford tackling.

James Owens Tipp V Waterford - no consistency here, Waterford awarded very dubious frees, no consistency and the penalty was a farce.

Thanks for clearing all that up, hopefully central council have a word with referee's committee and tell them to stop being so lenient to Waterford on a whole coming into the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭dilinja1

I thought the ref had a good game for the most part yesterday. James Owens sent Aussie Glesson off in walsh park in 2022 v Cork. The cork lads were hitting him off the ball for large parts of the game and two of them were on top of him when Owens sent him off. Owens certainly didnt ride ye that day.

referees and umpires have a thankless task especially when the games are as close as they have been in Munster this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

James Owens didn't referee the Waterford v Cork game.

• Advertisement

correct, my mistake but the decisions were very favourable in that game (hidden behind a paywall)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭siyo

You must not have paid to pass that wall because your talking some scutter 🤣

1.he was there before the ball was there ,

2.the ball clearly came off a clare player and went out over the end line ie a 65

3. James owens gave as many frees against us as for us never favours waterford in any game

@Gisele i think you should head back to your cork page as all your doing is talking pure sh**e and annoying people at this stage.

The scutter talk is the Waterford lads giving out about the margin calls (correctly) no going their way.

The 65 was a 65, the Waterford full back kicked it out - how is this even in dispute?

The Complaints then that they should have been awarded more time because Waterford were taking a penalty are nonsensical.

The whole backroom team made a clown of themselves then jumping around like apes when they thought Mark Rodgers over carried - he had made a quick play off the hurl and they didn't see it.

The Waterford manager making a bee line for the ref after was gutter stuff - there were kids around, no place for it in the game. The referee was without fault.

Your the one bringing up the 65 at the end, most here accept that it was a correct guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭siyo

I was quoting you talking scutter about James Owens favouring us against cork even though he didn't ref that game but thanks for the blow by blow account of yesterday's game all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Very disappointing not to get something out of the game yesterday. Some terrible mistakes leading to goals and poor frees cost us. The heart the players showed to keep coming back was so great to see. I was down in Ennis and thought the ref was very fair to us overall so I'm not going to complain about anything that happened at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭skaface

Hopefully we get a big Waterford crowd travelling on Sunday, the team deserve it on their displays so far in this year's Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭JD. 60

The standard of refereeing in GAA has always been controversial and mixed. Some refs are clearly better than others though. You'll often find a ref will let things go but blow up for a similar offence/tackle 5 minutes later …. it's too inconsistent. If I'm not mistaken Cork suffered last year with some wrong decisions (in the Limerick match) where the final margin was paper thin. As regards the 'hand pass' ! In every game now the ball is being thrown around the place wily nilly and nobody is being pulled up, apart from maybe a token foul being called occasionally.

A TMO would be ideal for the big decisions (penalty shouts ; square ball ; red cards) but that would slow up the game and anyway, hell will freeze over before the Jasiah Broad Mason down that route.

I anticipated a close game yesterday but that was a real body blow at the end. There was a long delay before Kelly's free and taking the 65 that I'm surprised that another play wasn't allowed but that's GAA refs for you. I'm not optimistic about next Sunday but it's not impossible ; however, if the defence is as wide open as yesterday, we'll be punished again. As commented already, Kevin Mahoney did really well yesterday and what about Ian Kenny's solo/point. Would be great to have Prunty and Monty available. Maybe start Shane Bennett and the 2 Fitzgeralds as opposed to bringing them on as subs. I'm still surprised that Leavy & Sheehan haven't featured. Also commented already, these lads have experience of winning in Limerick (albeit in club championship).

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭JD. 60

BTW ... are we ever going to get an ultra reliable freetaker. Interesting that Tadgh landed his one free yesterday ; maybe use him on the long distance ones. It was noticeable that Tadgh was out on his feet at the end ; let's hope he's fighting fit for Sunday (or will Davy pull a surprise by starting Billy Nolan in a holding 6 position).

I’m pretty sure Tadhg missed a long range one as well as the one he scored. It was from a very similar position. Freetaking could well be what costs us ultimately. Stephen Bennett seems to be fully fit now, personally I would prefer that he took them over Dessie.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cbwfd

Stephen Bennett should be left on the frees at this stage. Dessie is visibly not comfortable or natural in taking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭deise man

I wonder if the free taking is actually taking from dessies game in open play. He might be better if he had nothing to do with frees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Anyone not taking frees for their club shouldnt be taking the frees at intercounty, my heart skips a beat when i see Dessie taking them to be fair he's accurate enough as long as he connects with the ball, not Dessie's fault but what's Davy thinking putting him in that position, of course its going to affect him if he's missing frees it sucks the confidence out of a player he's mind is on the last free missed rather than the next play..Stephen isnt perfect and misses a few but he's been taking frees since he could hold a hurl and has learned just to get on with it and can still play well and not let it affect him..Time Davy put a stop to this if he has no faith in Bennet then Patrick Curran is a good freetaker and is worth his spot in the team just to take frees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Minor hurlers will face Galway in the All Ireland Preliminary QF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Without exaggerating but I genuinely felt like vomiting as that 65 went over yesterday. I didn't even see or know of any scenes afterwards as I had to turn it off in disgust, I couldn't bear to watch anymore. Sick to the pit of my **** stomach.

Our championship has essentially boiled down to three pucks of a ball - Tipp's (soft) free at the end to tie up the game, Horgan's late penalty last week and that 65 in Ennis. If even any one of those doesn't happen we're home and hosed. Sickeningly small margins.

Not only is it now a huge ask to go to Limerick and get something, we've to face them while they themselves know they can't lose. Not the situation I imagined, I really thought they'd be qualified by now and could afford to rest players with one eye on a Munster final.

In saying that, hopefully the lads can take the hurt from yesterday and unleash it next weekend. All we simply have to do it just not lose (easier said than done, I know) but it's also a big carrot knowing that a win will not only guarantee progress to an AI series and Munster final, they will go down as the team that ended the 5-in-a-row. That's a massive prize on offer - a chance to put their names in the history books. Davy should be drilling that into them as well as, as others have said, using the pain from yesterday. It's just as well it's still in our own hands, even if it's a big ask as it would've been even worse yesterday if the season ended that way with no opportunity to try put things right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

No the square ball rule has nothing to do with when the ball is struck. That's the offside rule in soccer you are thinking of there. You've revealed yourself as being clueless.

Next time, maybe try trolling on a subject you know something about Gisele

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

my big fear this weekend is that Davy will revert to type with a sweeper or come up with something mad to try and nullify Limerick that will ultimately backfire. He will look at it that Waterford pushed Limerick all the way last year in fact we should have beaten them had we been able to puck the ball over the bar

We need to trust what has worked for us so far this year and as cake man said at least finish the year on a better note than had it ended like it did last Sunday. It will be another absolute dogfight and won’t be a puck of the ball in it again. I’m certain of that

On the frees, agree totally time to take Dessie off them, unfortunately since Pairic Mahony we haven’t had a consistent free taker and while Bennett isn’t the most orthodox either it’s the best option to leave him on them. Yes he’s going to miss a few but he’ll score more than he’ll miss at least.

We’ve been hitting big scores regardless and another 26/27 point will be needed at least next Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

How good are Galway…..? From a quick search kk beat them easily, can’t see any others….given the mostly poor results from waterford at this level ie 3 losses out of 4 Galway probably won’t be easy but who ‘nose’ they could pull a performance out of the hat…..🎩 and surprise us all…?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

It's not a great group from Galway. Results for this group U15 U16 etc was poor. This has followed through into this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Absolutely.

Every match has debatable refereeing decisions, which is of course frustrating for players and managers.

But Davy is the only one who is consistently highly abusive towards match officials. Other managers seem to be able to get by without it. Is Davy the only one who can be "passionate" about hurling, are the likes of John Kiely, Sheedy, Pat Ryan etc. not passionate about hurling?

What makes it worse is Davy going on the media, talking about respect for referees or complaining about abuse that he gets. Total hypocrite. We don't exactly have a long queue of referees at any level but yet he's happy to abuse them when he wants.

I don't know if he really has such anger issues, or if it's some sort of an act to get his players going - but either way it's not a good look.

I remember when he was Clare manager, you wouldn't bring your kids into the stands behind the coaching, he'd be bawling people out of it for the whole 70 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Total neutral here, but i actually think the media play a big part in how Davy is portrayed. I have watched and been to enough matches to see managers lose the plot on the sidelines but somehow Davy always seems to be shown on camera and then all over social media.

He hadnt touched anyone on sunday when Corbett (i think) came in and pushed him. No reason whatsoever for him to get involved.

Then in the interview afterwards being asked about himself and lohan, again keep it to the game but it always seems as if they are looking to get a reaction from him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Will Dessie Start the next day, his form has been so poor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Some heartbreaking scenario's for us there esp the 2nd last one in which we'd go out on 'scoring difference'

That scenario looks incorrect on that table to me?

In the event of Cork, Clare and Waterford finishing on 4 points

Current scoring diff = Cork +15 (into final regardless). However Clare currently on 0 and Waterford on +2. Clare's zero would only get worse with a defeat, whereas Waterford would remain on +2 and therefore take third place.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

4 PTS .Clare would go out

Not trolling at all, just don't buy into or get the slamming of officials by Waterford, it is not fair and makes no sense when clearly Waterford had the benefit of very poor officiating in their opening two games. That is my point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement