Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Tubridy could be playing Senior Shinty? :)

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

It would call into question the judgement and credibility of certain RTE executives if you were working from the assumption that they mistook Ryan Tubridy for an extremely able broadcaster and a star who was worthy of such primetime slots and extravagant pay deals…..

But I think we all know now that's not what was going on here. Tubridy was simply part of a golden circle of cronies who all helped each other to line their pockets with easily gotten taxpayer funding. His abilities or lack thereof really didn't come into it. They gave the guy a 1 hour daily radio show that a mentally incapacitated chimp could have handled and then bastardized their biggest TV show in order to cater for his very limited talent. Anything to give him as much money as they could get away with. What a joke shop.

RE the listening figures for Virgin, obviously in no way surprising. If most Irish listeners would struggle to find one reason to tune into that daily car crash, I don't know how they think British listeners were every going to go for it. They might as well tune into Radio Rwanda for all the domestic relevance that Tub's show has to a British audience.

God, it's fantastic. I was so certain Tubs would be carried out of RTE in a box in 30 years time or possibly the Aras. He's really gotten his comeuppance. Only a matter of time now before the plug is pulled. At which point I think he makes a return to RTE in some capacity. What did Al Porter do in the wilderness? 7 years? I suppose it's a bit too soon for Tubs but I wouldn't bet against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nonetheless

The cronyism at RTE has not stopped either - there are hundreds from Joe Duffy to Aidan Leonard to Rick O'Shea etc. who will be carried out of Montrosia in that proverbial brown box.

Tubridy may have a hard time getting a job at a hospital radio station if he contaminates the Virgin Radio brand and RTE will not want him back as he is an eternal poster boy for overpayments and RTE greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭animalinside

Some of the first search results on google for says 550,000 in an article dated 2023. And you're right, we're in a time when soaps are in a huge, possibly terminal spiral. Supposedly Fair City used to bring in 682,000 at one point, hope that answers your question lol.

As for Home and Away I think you might be referring to how when the first RTE online player figures were announced people were shocked to see Home and Away being around the top and maybe beating Fair City. This could be completely wrong but I think the reason for that was just because a lot of younger people were accessing it online on their computers while the tvs at the time didn't have online. I'm sure Home and Away is still up there, Home and Away and Neighbours have always done very well in Ireland, but there's no way it's beating Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The fantastic thing about these appalling figures making it into the public domain is that all control of the situation is lost -

When the inevitable 'Have you considered your future with VR Ryan, because we don't really see it if we're being honest' conversation happens - Noel's little spin monkeys could have laid the ground with -

'Tubs mum's heartache missing her son', We hear from an emotional Mrs T in the Irish Rag

''Anyone can suffer homesickness…", reveals Ryan Tubridy in a frank and touching interview with Evoke

"Ryan Tubridy refuses a three year contract with VR as his heart is in Ireland", an emotional Tubs confesses in a Irish Daily Mirror exclusive

See the stern of that vessel way out there on the horizon…that's the - MV PR Control

• Advertisement

It's just 53 minutes old and is from his old friends RSVP.IE!!

Ryan Tubridy's UK morning radio show down in listenership compared to last host https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/tv-film/ryan-tubridys-uk-morning-radio-32846510

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

weak and repetitive.
    2/10
    Your heart not in it any more?

Understandable

Post edited by Mr Disco on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"The reported £50k a year he is on at Virgin"

Where was this reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Since about 2018 myself and a slew of other posters had identified the reality of Tubsidy’s broadcasting talent or lack thereof, and were confronted with gaslighting type responses by Friends of Tubsidy .

Threads in any way critical of Tubsidy were complained about, and there was a certain narrative accepted by a certain status quo and you breached it with trepidation.

This cohort of early critics have been thoroughly vindicated, but we had to wait because this is How Ireland Works

Post edited by tohaltuwi on

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

This is clickbate from Evoke

https://evoke.ie/2023/06/13/entertainment/soaps/10-surprising-fair-city-facts

Go on you want to click it to read what they have said about the audience numbers

On average, 550,000 people tune in to Fair City every night, which makes it the most-watched drama series in the country.

The series even rivals its British counterparts Coronation Street and Emmerdale on Virgin Media as viewers around the nation tune in every

Apart from the launch episode which brought in over one million viewers the most-watched episode to date was aired in 2001 and saw Billy Meehan being killed by Lorcan Foley.

This is not an up-to-date figure they are using.

Home and Away back in the day was getting 300k of an audience!

It first airing on RTÉ ONE has 90k to 100k and RTÉ2's later showing has 40k to 50k, while its often the top most watch show on the RTÉ Player. That brings them close to that 200k figure at least (not to mention the +1 showings of the show, and its omnibus editions). It'd be interesting to know how well each of the tradition soaps are doing across TV and online.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I agree that he would be savagely overpaid at £50,000. However that's not what I asked. Where was it reported that he is on £50,000 at Virgin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

From some newspapers I think we are estimating between 50k and 100k, TBH at this point this is not really what matters IMO

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I read in one of the UK papers ages ago that he was on 100k. But 50k of that was on condition that he increased the listener numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

After this Virgin fiasco, any salary for Tubridy as a radio presenter will seem too much. It's he who should be paying the company to put hims on air....

To think he could still be in Montrose hoovering up €180k pa for sweet FA, if only he could have engaged with reality and made a humble apology. I bet he wakes up in cold sweats about that little folly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭yagan

So if that 50k starting is correct but he has only held onto 28% of the previous presenters audience then mark to market he'll now be on 14k.

However I still suspect his current position is subsidized via sponsorship and personal contributions.

He probably would have NK highest earner so it's logical that NK would do anything to keep the brand of a former cash cow relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Yet only a couple of days ago regarding Callan, you were straight on telling us all that his audience figures had dropped "as I predicted".

I wanted to see if there were any improvements or changes made to the presentation of The Ryan Tubridy Show from my last experience so I just listened to the first hour as the format of the remaining next two will be copied exactly.

Each hour consists of about 7-8 links for which the overall sound is just a mess, no seamless integration from music into presentation and presentation into music - very erratic. There are too many links containing unnecessary content generated by Tubridy and examples of the presenter not finishing his words - for instance mentioning Saturday as Saat, taking breath and then quickly charging onto another trajectory. He doesn't appear to have the ability to mix his audio into the opening of a song which may contain music at its start and end his link in sequence with the beginning of the start of the songs vocal. The end result is a harsh sounding -segmented presentation. The show is a poor attempt to fit a square into a circle and I don't believe that there is anyway that this show could actually attract listeners.

He is now talking about Roy Keane's dog. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I listened to Callan today, doing a little bit of waffle, play a song, then chat to an author, and just thought to myself that our Ryan must be absolutely kicking himself as to how he has royally fdcked up his career.

That would have been him in his element today, earning really east money for very little work. Plus he could have been finished by 10am, abs been out walking in the sun by 11am, with the rest of the day his own.

Instead he is away from home, probably paying huge rent, working until 1pm, for so much less money.

What a mess he made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Senior Hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭SharkMX

It would have been NK who organised and then advised him to take the dodgy payments. So he surely must be trying his best to get back on Tubridys good side now. Dont think it will be too long til they part company.

The Irish Independent's "well placed source" says £50,000 to £80,000.

The Business Post's "well placed source" says £50,000 to £80,000.

Buzz.ie quotes an "insider" saying: “His profile just isn’t big enough in the UK, but he could be taking home between £70K to £100K."

So it has been reported that the speculation is that he would be paid between £50,000 and £100,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Expunge

Yes. A little bit of contrition and humility at the time and it could have been oh so different. He relied too much on his agent and probably should have sought other advice at the time.

Even until the last few moments with Kevin Backhurst, it was salvageable. I pity the fool, as Mr. T used to say.

Now, based on those RAJAR numbers, he carries the stench of failure - something they don't prepare you for in Blackrock College.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

examples of the presenter not finishing his words - for instance mentioning Saturday as Saat, taking breath and then quickly charging onto another trajectory. 

I have only heard brief clips and I can't get over how difficult he is to listen to. I never listened when he was on RTE so I'm not sure if he was always like that.

I switch back to Q102 when his show is over because I like easy listening around the house or in the the car, and it's straightaway back to someone who has a pleasant voice and manner of speech. That's all I want really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

With such awful listenership figures, you’d have to wonder if Noel “Duck Egg” Kelly is considering jettisoning the former golden child Tubridy now???

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

I tuned in for the first time since January out of curiosity.

After EMF / Unbelievable, Ryan launches into a book recommendation (Hagstone by Sinead Gleeson). Despite it being a recommendation, he says "let's read the blurb" which is an odd way to sell a recommendation.

"I hear the siren call of the West of Ireland calling me back, even for a break"

Careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You can believe what is reported or you can't that is up to you.

As it is a commercial for profit company he is more than likely on a base payment at the reported 50k and the rest is incentive based on listenship and advertising take up since he is not a recognisable name in the UK marketplace he would have to earn the higher end by bringing in the listenership and advertising revenue to prove his worth to that compnay.

However you are again fee to believe whatever you want believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not in my head he's not, haven't thought of the tosser till I saw an article that his audience had fallen from previous incumbent.

Life lesson in the big bad world for Tubridy where you have to survive on merit.

Advertisement