Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Dingle peninsula shield still up and running…. So strange to see us missing all the action here most of the time… except for rain of course 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Thunderstorm warning for western areas of Derry, Fermanagh and Tyrone

A lot of places seem likely to dodge these downpours, which may end up focused in the far west of the warning area. But where they do develop, they'll be moving only very slowly and so could produce a lot of rain, some lightning and a risk of hail. A few places may see 20-30 mm in around 1 hour, and it's possible that up to 40-60 mm could fall in 2-3 hours.

And tomorrows warning is more widespread, east of Lough neagh not included

Areas of rain, perhaps heavy, are likely to develop quite early on Tuesday, probably breaking down into slow-moving heavy showers and thunderstorms during the late-morning and the afternoon. Showers and storms should ease into the evening.

In some areas 20-30 mm could fall in just an hour or two, with the wettest spots perhaps seeing as much as 50-60 mm. Impacts might be more likely for any places that catch (or caught) Monday's downpours. Hail and lightning may be secondary hazards in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Yellow storm warning now up for West and North

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭The Macho Man

As an avid golfer/cyclist and general outdoorsy type I would never ever ever be surprised when Met Éireann get it wrong or change their tune. Happens all the time. I appreciate our location on the globe makes it tricky often to get a forecast correct but their track record of being wrong is spectacular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

looking south something nice developing over Wicklow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭eastmayo

First Thunderstorms off the day in North Mayo and Donegal.

A couple of recent strikes in the NW of Donegal and Mayo

if in Dublin look south, worth keeping an eye on its development, quite an impressive sight in my opinion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Can see the convection/clouds bubbling from Greystones. Assume they will drift west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Can see some clouds bubbling up to the SW of me here over the Wicklow mountains without any sign of a cap just yet , may just be coastal convergence but interesting all the same.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭coffee to go

View of that developing Wicklow mountains cell from due west of it here in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭pureza

SSW,the same as yesterday,meaning if they spark,you'll see a met Éireann nowcast for Carlow Kilkenny o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Orange warning has been issued

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

Cells firing up to my NNE, probably over east Leitrim or/and into Cavan.

Absolutely 💯 I'm preparing for power cuts so I've candles and gas stove at the ready

The development n Wicklow is a lot closer to me in Arklow than any of yesterdays

Quite massive Cauliflowers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

East Leitrim/West Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Head aching all of a sudden. Must be allergic to Thunder. Does this happen anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Current thunderstorms v what's predicted at 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

My view to the southeast of it. Impressive how quickly it built up.

According to the radar,its been raining in and near Hacketstown Co Carlow for near an hour and a half now in a slow moving almost static shower that drifted down from Lugnaquilla

Strong echoes,there would have to be some flooding there if the radar is correct and it is 100's of km's from the warning counties

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks to be kicking off in Galway now.

A lot of action in the west of Donegal

Post edited by .Donegal. on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Two small storms passing to the East of Galway City nothing major few rumbles

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

North east Galway can hear some rumbles in the distance!

Sparks in Tuam according to LightningMaps

I seen on twitter another funnel spotted in Derry today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭D n G

Very bad thunder and lightening here for about an hour now. Some of the loudest claps I've ever heard. Thought we had a direct hit at one stage and it doesn't seem to be moving on either. Electricity also gone. (NW Donegal)

Advertisement