Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

It’s definitely possible that in the next 10-20 years, countries currently in the EU will be looking to revert back to being a trading bloc only. International & European treaties will be rewritten and European countries will take back control of their destinies.

Definitely need major changes to what we currently have has us taking responsibility for citizens of 2-3 other continents too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Why is it so hard for you to not be so dishonest with the language you use?

Honestly it’s been brought up a hundred times on this thread, so bloody sick of it - the thread is about asylum seekers/refugees will you give up your pathetic attempts at muddying the waters to imply people are arguing for restrictions on all forms of immigration?

Seriously, you’re fooling nobody, just give it up, the thread gets derailed by people having to pull you and others up on this disingenuous BS constantly. It’s so regular I genuinely think you must be trolling at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And the sooner the better we move in this direction the better. It's definitely on the cards as becoming a factor across the EU. 10-20 years is far too long a timeframe though. As I pointed out in a now deleted post, we can conservatively estimate a seismic change in our population make up within 10 years, if we allow this trend to continue and escalate as it will.

I say that as someone who has voted generally voted yes in past EU referendums. Before I'm accused of being anti-EU or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There has been a lot of misinformation about those tweets (spread by Gript mainly, who keep rehashing the story). The tweets were in eight languages (two of which were English and Irish) and were aimed at people already living in Direct Provision in Ireland and concerned the decision to end the DP system.

Gript are still pumping out this nonsense to their followers in mid 2024 that those obscure tweets from February 2022 are the reason asylum seekers are coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

How would leaving the EU or specifically the freedom of movement aspect prevent asylum seekers arriving on Irish shores?

The UK left the EU yet they still have asylum seekers arriving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Augme

The same feeling isnt being felt here. There is no support for Irexit parties and there will still be no support for them after the local and upcoming European elections as well. As I said, Ireland and the UKs outlook on other cultures is vastly different.

I'm perfectly entitled to respond to posts made in this thread. If someone posts soemting like this

Why is it so hard for the pro immigration lobby to accept that Irish people do not want their culture / values diluted and replaced ?

Then I'll respond to this in this thread. If the term "pro immigration lobby" is deemed an accurate to term to usein this thread then the term "anti immigration lobby" is equally as valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

I don’t think they are equally valid actually, I think it’s a false equivalence - the majority of people in the supposed “pro immigration lobby” are pro all forms of inward migration asylum seeker or no.
    However the majority of the “anti immigration lobby” as you term them are actually pro immigration (through the proper channels) but in favour of tightening restrictions around asylum seeker applications (the topic of the thread) etc. so to label them the “anti immigration lobby” as you do is more of a misrepresentation than the former. Those that are against immigration in all forms are very much a minority.

All that being said I would prefer if people on all sides used the specific language in regards to this, to prevent any of the sophistry we’ve seen in relation to terminology on this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Sunjava

Its beginning to look like that. Nothing stays the same forever. Immigration from the 3rd world will be the biggest issue from now on (climate change noted, but questionable whether that can be stopped, perhaps immigration the same). Immigration has been a trickle for decades, encouraged generally and any feelings of hesitation towards its categorised as racist, xenophobic etc. now the trickle is becoming a flood and there is a feeling of helplessness like a sleeping driver waking to see the headlights approaching. The beauty of the EU migration was that generally movement was as likely to be permanent as it was temporary with people moving home depending on stage of life... The movement now is the permanent kind, and the people more varied, more reliant on help and a economy less capable/willing to assist yet unable to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Tweets don't just go to followers of the person tweeting. Algorithms apply on Twitter therefore it is absolutely possible that the tweets in multiple languages offering own door accomodation would have been seen by those outside of Ireland who don't follow ROG and who have never heard of him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

If that is the case, the Harris child has lost all credibility.

• Advertisement

I imagine if you did a search for those tweets now, you'd find they only had a small number of views and retweets. This is a red herring by Gript and various right wing Twitter accounts - we'd perhaps have a relatively similar number of asylum claims for the last two years even had those tweets never been sent out by O'Gorman. Certainly, the idea that asylum claims would be low now but for the tweets hardly stands up or seems credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

isn’t there a case or two coming before the high court of asylum seekers suing the government for not supplying them with accommodation.

So can we expect the occupants of tent town to start bringing their own cases

• Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It feels like we're playing whack a mole where you move one and 5 more take it's place. It feels like it's never going to end.

This government has so much to answer for, they're policies have caused this.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

I don’t have twitter/X , yet i knew about these tweets almost immediately.

word of mouth, media, external apps etc

You’re clutching at straws and it’s almost embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I find it odd though that, on one hand, you talk about European countries taking back control of their destinies but, on the other, you talk about new treaties being signed which are invariably sovereignty-limiting in order for them to be in any way workable. Give it a few years and so many treaties will be signed, imposing obligations that restrict our ability to simply do as we please, that you end up somewhere not far from where you started only without a centralised forum like the EU institutions as a way to administer the treaties. Europe is a pretty unique landmass, there is no other part of the world containing such a large collection of small, relatively wealthy and prosperous countries squished into a small area. This part of the reason why it was an incessant war zone for centuries and it's part of the reason why it is almost inevitable that a complex web of treaties is necessary for its functioning. The EU is, in many ways, a reflection of Europe's uniqueness as a continent where the alignment of interests of member states is crucial to the functioning of its constituent states.

What I would be interested to know however is what people actually think would drastically change in terms of fixing anything if we did just revert to a trading bloc. Presumably trade will continue and ease of trade will be seem as mutually beneficial. So borders will remain porous for trade across continental Europe. Then there is the people question — even without the EU is there an appetite (not to mention the resources) to drastically close borders across the continent to the level necessary to prevent illegal migration?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭twinytwo

You seem to have a weird obsession for the idea of closing EU internal borders as required/seen as the only solution to prevent illegal migration. I have lost count how many times you have referenced it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sisk contractors have apparently pulled out of work on the site marked for modular homes in Clonmel, interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yes — whips, chains and closing the EU borders as the only solution to illegal migration. My weaknesses.

Setting aside my arousal for a moment however, I am talking about the subject of the EU. Right? And one of the defining features of debate about the merits of the EU is in relation to to the lack of control over borders that membership of the EU apparently imposes, yes? So when someone talks about countries replacing the EU with something else ...in the context of a discussion around migration ... I would be inclined to mention what the replacement of the EU border controls would look like and the extent to which people are willing to go in order to tighten those borders.

Anyway it's lunchtime and I'm WFH so it's time to open a Google Incognito tab and start searching images of checkpoints between France and Germany. Brb.

EDIT: I see you changed "fetish" to "obsession". You had it right the first time lad!

And if the tweets were not meant for a wide audience there has been plenty of time in 3 years to follow up with clarification. And the tweets are still up

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Sunjava

I didn't say there was. Then again you'd have said the same in Britain 20 yrs ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Augme

I know they are a minority, but they are still posting on this thread and I'll keep challenging them.

You really wouldn't have said the same about Britian 20 years ago. In 2010, the first poll I can find on the subject, has leave at 47%, remain at 33% and undecided 19%. One good thing about brexit though, is that it has pretty.made everyone realise how terrible an idea it is.

Even the British people have realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Moving the goalposts to fit the narrative of the day.

It's basically saying

"We fudged up border control and domestic security. Instead of admitting it and taking measures to fix it let's just claim it's our policy and it will all work out perfectly grand as the party and its supporters will get rich along the way"

You know about these tweets because Gript and various right wing Irish Twitter accounts have been tweeting continuously about them since around April 2023. It's a load of nonsense aimed at gullible eejits - asylum claims are well up right across Europe in 2023 and 2024, nothing to do with some obscure minister fella sending out a few tweets that were hardly seen by anyone at the time.

An obscure minister fella? What?

It's been suggested by posters here that migrants are both simultaneously savvy enough to know that Ireland has the 2nd highest GDP in the world ("the 2nd richest country in the world!") but not savvy enough to use twitter or find out about "obscure" senior politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Miharo

I doubt they had much impact either other than pissing off a lot of people living here who saw it as an advertisement to economic migrants to come here and live off the generosity / naivety of the state.

The main draw is probably the very soft asylum system with little chance of deportation.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

It's all the ultra left-wing types have left. They've roundly lost the argument so trolling is the tactic now. I think this thread is nearing an end because it's just everyone agreeing with one another bar 3-4 people who post the same tired stuff that we're all bigots because we don't want to triple the population in 5 years with every undocumented migrant who can catch a ferry when everyone under 40 is living with their parents because they can't afford housing.

When you type it all out, you realise how mental the whole situation is.

Would you blame them? One thing dealing with generally law abiding locals who are protesting vigorously and quite a different matter dealing with the opposition in Clonmel.

It's a sign of nervousness that they talk so fast, that they don't really believe in what they're saying and/or are afraid of being challenged. It's a real tell. If you were interviewing them for a job, you'd be marking this down. She's not the only one and our new leader is of this ilk as well.

Compare this to a politician sure of their position. They speak in a measured and thought out way.

Frauds the present crowd are.

• Advertisement

It's very hard to be believe that asylum seekers would choose to move to Ireland based on a single tweet in February 2022 by a minister nobody outside Ireland has ever even heard of.

Tens of thousands of asylum seekers are heading to the UK every year despite the fact that two recent Home Secretaries, (Patel and Braverman), were hard right and probably racist.

Advertisement