Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

The main difference there is that Crowley is obviously a much better player (than pretty much anyone else we are talking about here) and is capable athletically of playing three positions at a high level. Neither Healy or Carbery can play centre.

Its honestly possible that Crowley and Carbery are the two best irish tens. Carbery just seems hard to get into form with his fitness.

I don't think its crazy to say healy and harry byrne are comparable ish talent wise although they play very differently.

Munster might have just moved the guy that could move, and they had for any squad great depth at ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭nerd69

I need you to be clear on your point here. Do you feel crowley starting those games as a 21 year old suggests he wasnt rated by munster and wouldn't be a starter without the emerging ireland tour?

For 10 pick whos 3rd choice Leinster 10 ross,harry,frawley

For 15 pick whos 3rd or 4th choice

Keenan, job, frawley, larmor.

Either depth players is an issue or its not particularly when one is a young player.

If mins is the concern we can go down a whole other rabbit hole but itd deflecting from my point which is a good coaching staff shouldnt need to take players mid season to play in a much lower level competition to know of their talented

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Your recollection is wrong; Healy started the season because Crowley got named for the EI tour so wasn't available; we can't infer Healy was de facto ahead of him because of this.

When Crowley returned, Munster had a huge amount of injuries and he was playing so well, was selected at centre; it was the best use of our resources. In the Champions Cup, Crowley either started at 12 or, in the case of Toulouse, was selected in the 22 shirt on the bench ahead of Ben Healy.

By the time the Round of 16 game came around, he was selected at 10, and remained there for the remainder of the season. Some of us on here were calling for him to start at 10 ahead of Carbery even before that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I really think that's not a good plan long term. They should be pumping up the urc as much as possible, especially compared to dev tours.

Crowley was definitely mostly playing in other positions up until the 6N in the 2022/23 season.

That season he played at 15 against Leinster (started, 80mins), Connacht (bench, 38 mins) and the Bulls (bench, 40 mins), and played at 12 6 times (Edinburgh, Toulouse x2, Northampton x2 and Leinster). He started at 10 against Ulster and was moved to centre when Ben Healy came on.

Some of this was driven by injuries elsewhere, but I think he really only started making the 10 shirt his own from the Champions Cup round of 16 onwards, even then, he started the URC semi v Leinster at 12, and was taken off around 50 mins against the Sharks and Stormers too.

• Advertisement

The highest level in sa is urc which weve been better than them in if we where thet stuck for depth then players wouldnt fairly consistently come in to cover injured players and thrive

Fwiw, I went back to check who Munster were missing during the last EI tour. This was at the time of the Connacht game. And we were still told it made no difference…

we are missing the following on the EI tour

1. Barron
    2. Josh Wycherly
    3. Salanoa
    4. Ahern
    5. Hodnett
    6. Crowley
    7. Frisch
    8. Nash
    9. Daly

And we are missing the following thru injury:

1. Snyman
    2. Paddy Kelly
    3. Fineen Wycherly
    4. Kendellen
    5. Jack Daly
    6. Haley
    7. Earls
    8. Conway
    9. Zebo
    10. Liam Coombes

(And Farell for other circumstances).

Why does "Making the 10 shirt his own" matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Your recollection is wrong; Healy started the season because Crowley got named for the EI tour so wasn't available; we can't infer Healy was de facto ahead of him because of this.

In the season URC opener (before the EI tour), it was Healy starting and Crowley on the bench. There's very little reason to think Healy wasn't in pole position for Munster prior to the EI tour.

And you know how I feel about Ben Healy…

No, I think given Crowley's talent (and fwiw, I'm an absolutely enormous fan of him, and have been since his Irish U20s days, I think he's a complete baller), he would have emerged as the Munster and Ireland starter. I just don't think he necessarily would have in time to be picked against Australia in Nov 2022 had he not toured with EI and played well at 10 in those games, because prior to that he had a tiny sample size of games at 10.

If he doesn't play against Australia, it's unlikely Ireland pick him for the 6N as a 10, given he was largely playing 12 and 15 for Munster in that window (posted the data on this in a previous post), and from there, he mightn't have made the breakthrough to the RWC squad.

I dunno what point you're trying to make on the Leinster pecking order. I think the Leinster pecking order at 10 is, when everyone is fit: Ross, Harry, Sam Prendergast, Charlie Tector. There isn't much evidence that the Leinster coaches see Ciaran Frawley as a 10, as they neglected to really back him there even this season with Ross Byrne injured.

When Jordan Larmour was picked at 15 against Scotland, it, fairly crucially, came with the caveat that the two first choice fifteens (Hugo Keenan and Jimmy O'Brien) were injured, Mack Hansen was injured, Ciaran Frawley was injured, Mike Haley was just back from injury. Mike Lowry's form was awful, and they weren't going to pick Tiernan O'Halloran. The injury happened a few short hours before the game (during the warm up), so the replacement had to be someone within the squad. That meant it was going to be either Jacob Stockdale or Jordan Larmour, and they went for Larmour as the guy showing better form at that point.

No one is claiming they need to take the players to "know if they're talented" and it's completely disingenuous to suggest so. They bring them in to see what sort of characters they are, how they train, how they work, how they communicate, how adaptable they are. All of this stuff they need to see the players first hand to get a view on.

• Advertisement

So crowley by end of season ir even mid realisticly we agree would be a provincial starter and massivly talented but not likely to get ireland caps and you dont see that as an issue?

It was widely reported at the time that the provinces had the ability to pull some players from the EI tour who they needed, and one of the primary examples cited for this was Ben Healy - who Ireland wanted on the EI tour, and who Munster felt was their starter at the time.

I think it's fair to say at the start of that season that Healy was probably still ahead of Crowley, otherwise I think Healy would have toured SA.

It's a single game. Sample size.

It's also entirely possibly they selected Healy for the opener because Crowley was going to be gone for the EI tour, because of cohesion.

And we know how you feel about cohesion.

…and who Munster felt was their starter at the time.

Where was it said Munster felt he was their starter? Or are you just inferring that from 1 start?

I think it's fair to say at the start of that season that Healy was probably still ahead of Crowley, otherwise I think Healy would have toured SA.

Fwiw, I don't think provincial pecking order necessarily comes into Andy Farrell's thinking, so I don't think we can infer this either. (JGP being the most high-profile example),

It's a figure of speech - it means he wasn't consistently started or playing at 10 until that Sharks game realistically in Europe.

It matters because as a 22-year-old player with barely any rugby behind him, he could hardly expect to be playing 10 for Ireland if he wasn't playing there for Munster.

Where did I say he wasn't going to get Ireland caps?

Why are you constantly looking for things to get outraged by?

Crowley was obviously a really talented player, but we only were really able to see that when he started to play. He wasn't going to make the RWC squad in the centres (where we were very settled with 4 top class options).

If he hadn't gone on the EI tour, then by the time the 6Ns rolls around, he'd have likely only had a tiny handful of games at 10. There is no way based on that Ireland would have picked him.

But, crucially, the point of all this discussion is that we did have the EI tour, and on the back of that, he was capped for Ireland shortly afterwards and then picked for the subsequent 6N and RWC. Once again, Jack Crowley is probably the best example of why the EI tour worked really well, despite your repeated attempts to claim otherwise.

It's a single game following a season where he was clearly behind Healy.

It has been widely reported that the provinces had the ability to pull guys from the EI tour if they felt they absolutely needed them during that window, and the player most frequently cited at the time in relation to this was Ben Healy, who Munster felt they needed as their first choice 10 during that window. If Munster saw Crowley as their first choice 10 (ahead of Healy, given Carbery was injured) then Crowley wouldn't have gone on the EI tour and Healy would have.

Why? He had played a lot of 10 just off the bench. like our backup 10 for several 6 nations games this year is 26 and only has 12 starting games at 10. Plus in this scenario he ends up provincial starter so adds up more

No, I'm also inferring it from the previous whole season where Healy played more than double the minutes of Jack Crowley.

The rumour at the time of the tour was the Ireland wanted to bring Ben Healy on the EI tour and Munster pulled him out because they needed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's a single game. Sample size.

Munster also played two preseason friendlies, Healy seems to have started both with Crowley benching in both.

I'm sure Crowley got decent minutes but if Rowntree had big plans to make Crowley the man at 10, he was keeping his cards close to his chest.

It's also entirely possibly they selected Healy for the opener because Crowley was going to be gone for the EI tour

Surely then it would be even more important to give Crowley the game time at 10? Your anointed 10 is going to be missing, so you pass up the only chance to give him a run?

I mean, you pulled the other poster up on "inferring" things but you seem to be doing the same, even when all the facts point in the opposite direction.

I don't really care btw, we all ended up in the right place and it was inevitable Crowley would overtake Healy at some point, he's a vastly superior player, I'm just amused at the lengths people will go to deny any credit to the Ireland coaches here.

• Advertisement

He hadn't played a lot of 10, even off the bench at that point. I've made the point about three times now and you're consistently ignoring it that he'd had less than 550 mins at 10 coming into the season, and then only a handful of additional minutes there coming into the 6N. He'd played the majority of minutes that very season at 12 and 15.

He was 22 years old and had a tiny body of work in any position at that point. Ciaran Frawley is a pretty different scenario coming into this 6Ns (where once again other players are injured) given he's demonstrated a strong body of work over the past 5 seasons or so. FWIW, I don't agree with him being in the Ireland squad as a 10 either (and think he's there mostly because of his versatility).

Im not outraged im trying to understand your logic. Which dosent really make sense. Double digit caps are not enough but 4 vs poor opposition made him? What are we talking about here. He as a 21 year old started away to castres who won the top14 that year and won but a game vs the windhoek draft griques made him as a player?

He was either good enough to start or he wasnt the goalposts that get moved for players is frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

probably the best thing about the tour is triggering yet another round of I’m not wrong your wrong.

The previous whole season where we had a completely different coaching ticket?

The rumour was that Ireland wanted to bring Ben Healy as well.

Why would a coaching staff trying to bed in a system build around a guy whos immediately gone for 2 months?

And why does starter vs backup suddenly matter because it dosent elsewhere

If you dont agree with frawley then thats fair enough but just go with it instead of suggesting a 22 year old maby being a starter is worse than a 26 year old absolutely not being.

Youd mentioned he likely wouldn't have played the 6n or wc warmups/wc hed have gad a lot more mins by then

…played 2 pre-season friendlies after the EI tour had been announced, right?

I think it's fair to say we've absolutely no idea on way or the other whether it was Rowntree favouring Healy, or Farrell favouring Crowley.

There was an error displaying this embed.

And it dosent matter anyway

My logic is simple - but I'll lay it out here again for you:

At the start of the 2022/23 season Jack Crowley wasn't on Ireland's radar. He was third choice for his province, had a tiny handful of starts at 10. He clearly looked talented but he was very young, and I don't anyone anywhere including Jack Crowley would have said on Sept 1st 2022 that 12 months later he'd be in Ireland's RWC, including Jack himself.

What changed that?

Undoubtedly a few factors, one of the biggest being Mike Prendergast came in, changed Munster's attack to a style that suited Crowley's game. But even with that, he needed games at 10 to show that.

If the EI tour doesn't happen, I think he remains backing up the other two and being asked to deputise in other positions because of his physical talent. I supremely doubt he'd have been capped against Fiji and Australia, and without that, and having hardly played at 10 for Munster over the next few weeks, he definitely wouldn't have made the 6N squad.

The thing that massively changed this in the eyes of the Irish coaches was when he went to SA with the EI squad, started 3 games and played well. They saw him up close and likely saw his talent, his combativeness, his aggression, his leadership and his composure. I strongly suspect the report from the Irish coaches back to Andy Farrell following the EI tour was gushing in its praise of Crowley, and on the back of that he was the bench for the Ireland A game, and following a few injuries, made his debut against Australia.

I don't think without the EI tour there is anyway he starts that game, and without starting that game (and generally acquitting himself well) he doesn't make the 6N squad either (given how he barely featured at 10 for Munster in the lead up to it).

It's still not a given he wouldn't have been picked for the RWC anyway given how well he finished the season, but I'd say it was less likely if he hadn't been around the squad environment for the 6N.

I've laid my logic on this out now, quite clearly, about 5 different times. I have no idea what point you're trying to make, other than just taking pot shots at the Irish coaching team.

As I said, about 20 posts ago now it feels like, Jack Crowley is probably the best example of how well the EI tour can work.

Now can you try and clearly explain your position on this please?

• Advertisement

No, it wasn't. That would have made zero sense - they were actually thinking Ciaran Frawley was their first choice 10 going into the tour, and he got injured on the eve of it, so they were initially picking two players to back him up. Jake Flannery at the time was always likely to tour as he was expendable for Ulster (they had Burns and Madigan).

But even if we take your point - that Ireland wanted to bring both Healy & Crowley - the likelihood is Munster lobbied for a guy to stay. If Munster lobbied to keep Healy for that period, and Healy had played double the minutes of Crowley the previous season and started ahead of Crowley in the one game of that season so far, then of course it's fair to assume Healy was ahead of Crowley in the pecking order at that time. We'll never know this definitively but that's the best info available to us.

Advertisement