Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay cut to move to co,eo

• 12-04-2024 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Currently working for over 10 years as a nurse earning 50k in the hse but my existing back problem has gotten to a point where I have to consider my options for a career change even if I have to sacrifice a big pay cut.

Looking for advice from anybody who has taken a pay cut to move to either a clerical officer or executive officer and am I crazy for considering this?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just look at it as a temporary thing.

Put in the effort for about 3 (from EO) - 5 (from CO) years at the most and get promoted to HEO and you’ll be making more than you are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Wasn't on as much as yourself but I took a pay cut to go from private sector to work as a CO. It's 5 years later and I've since been promoted and am on money money. The thing I value most is I went from a toxic work environment to working with lovely people and better work/life balance and very family friendly.

By the way, your service as a nurse in public sector should be take into consideration when assigning your point on the pay scale. This isn't done automatically, you need to apply to DPER to have this done as far as I know. So it may not be a big a pay cut as you might have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I took a paycut (not as substantial as yours) to join the CS as an EO and I'm happy I did. Much less stress and I work with great people.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Meanman

It needs to be what they call an "amagalous grade" in order to commence on a scale above "point 1" of scale. In essence you would need to prove that you were doing a lot of clerical type work in your present role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 grade3m

Thanks all for the advice I will be seriously considering it.

Is the best place to keep an eye on public jobs to apply and get on the panels?

• Advertisement

Brilliant. I knew someone else would know! Someone I know got it when he took an EO job in the civil service. He was previously working in the lab in a hospital testing samples. Worth asking I'd say

Yeah Public Jobs is best place to keep an eye out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's a shame you can't move to something that uses your nursing background - is there any chance of call centre or practise nursing, or drug company sales, or even complaints handling for a medical device company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Or something like a triage nurse on the out of hours GP service?

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They won't as they aren't equivalent roles or payscales. Experiences may vary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Mamasnpapas

My first thought here is the HSE should be doing whatever they can to accommodate you to stay in nursing. But sure that would make too much sense I suppose. EO point 1 will be about 37K by end of this year. I think other posters are right in that you would have to prove you were doing similar work. Definitely fight your case with DPER though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Sitting down all day makes back problems worse the OP needs something that mixes sitting and standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭eoh70

I currently work part time in the private sector. On decent enough money for the hours I do. No real stability, no pension - the usual cons that go with private sector employment. I have been offered a permanent part time position with the HSE for more or less the same hours but it would mean a huge drop of wages but obviously there are the perks of a pension, etc. I’m 54 at the moment so just wondering if it’s worth taking up the HSE position at this stage of my life or am I better off staying where I am for now? My wages would be more or less halved. I know there are yearly increments but not sure by how much. Any advice from anyone who’d know if the perks would be worth the move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Tow

You would be better off on the higher money and taking out your own pension. BTW your employer is legally required to provide a pension if you ask for one.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Employers are only legally required to provide you access to a pension, they don't have to contribute.

However, it's a small point as auto enrollment is on its way.

AE is still years off. They have not even picked the CPA yet, or whatever it's new Gaelic name is.

The OP is already 54 so fast running out of time. They can setup their own pension or have their employer do it. The advantage of asking their employer is they might contribute or cover the pension providers costs etc. Otherwise it is much of a muchness.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭BalboBiggins

If you aren't unhappy in your current job you would be better off starting a pension there. You can get tax relief on up to 30% of your salary and when you're 55 that'll go up to 35%. The issue is that you haven't got a huge amount of time until retirement so a HSE pension won't have enough time to grow but if you can start putting as close to 30% of your salary as possible into a private pension you will have a much better pension pot in ten years.

thanks everyone, my current employer won’t entertain the idea of a pension at the moment and never will unless legally required to. Not sure how long I’ll have in my current position as like any position in the private sector anything could happen! Just not sure. I know I can do my own pension but can you top up the hse one starting at this stage? Anyone know how much the yearly increments are worth?

You could pay extra in the HSE pension in the form of AVC. However, the modern HSE pension would not be a patch on on the 'gold plated' pensions of old. Remember, if you are on half the money will not be able to pay much into it. You also have to pay the public sector Pension Levy/ASC when working for the HSE.

Would any experts on the current HSE pension (SPSPS?) be able to comment on the returns vs a private pension, with a max of 14 years contributions? I don't think there would much in it.

that’s what I’m wondering? Would there be a whole pile of difference by the time I’ve paid into a pension myself? Plus with the hse I’d have the increments, job security, better holiday entitlements and maybe the option to go up a grade or 2! Or am I really better off just staying put and hope it’ll last where I am now and look into a private pension 🤔🤦🏻‍♀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭caviardreams

You also pay into the HSE pension an the benefits on low salaries are not great. Might be better off paying the same into a private pension in a private sector job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The real difference is probably around job security. What's the chances that you'll be able to continue to work in your private sector role up to your preferred retirement age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Exactly this, I'm in the current CO campaign and I'm going to be taking a decent paycut, but I know within 2 years I won't be too far off.

that’s the issue really. There is no real security with the job I’m in at the moment . If I thought I’d have it until retirement I wouldn’t even consider moving but it’s a kinda crystal ball scenario and it could go belly up at any stage! I know I’d be taking a big financial loss by moving but just wondering if it will be so bad in a year or two with the increments🤷

what are the chances of moving up that quick with the current freeze that’s on? Is it a bit easier internally once you’re in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Yeh my partner is going for HEO now, shes there 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The increment scale is publicly available. If you have a bit of drive and cop on, EO is probably achievable.

Is HSE your only option? Any civil service locations close by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If you are only doing it for the pension it's not worth it age 54 you would need to pay a huge amount for AVC's to have a decent pension, If you are doing it for stability go for it.

I know someone who is retiring from an HSE organisation they started with the organisation aged 50, and they are shocked at how little their pension will be.

Don’t seem to have any vacancies in my area at the moment

• Advertisement

yes I’m aware that it’s too late for me to build up a decent pension with them at this stage. I suppose I’m really wondering what the chances are of a higher salary down the line after a while of taking the hit if I leave my current job.

Advertisement